Is Howard right about Sons of Anarchy?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Magnificent Mr. Hole, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Magnificent Mr. Hole

Magnificent Mr. Hole Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is it a show that is so bad its good? I had only heard good things about the show but never got around to watching it but keep it in my netflix queue for some future time.

2. Walrus

Walrus Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    I watched the first two seasons right after one another. I just recently saw Season 3. He's right, the gang on there commits some pretty horrible crimes but always seems to get away with it. I never noticed the "over acting" that Howard and Fred mentioned today. When they did bring it up it did kind of make sense. I refuse to fully admit that Howard makes sense. It really just looks like the guys are having fun in their scenes. I work with a guy that went out and bought a Sportster and got too many tattoos based on that show. His friends all the did the same thing and now they drive around with their harleys and tattoos until their wives make them come home.

Would I pay to watch the show? No. Will I watch it on Netflix or the internet for free when there is nothing else on. Yes.

If you have not seen season 2, spoiler alert!

They never should have killed off Henry Rollins.

3. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    It's Shakespeare's "Hamlet" meets West Coast Biker mythology. Though it's heavy-handed and stretches credibility very thin, it's also well produced and there are a lot of good performances. It wouldn't make my 'favorite shows' list, but it's worth watching.

4. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I got bored with it after really enjoying it for the 1st 2 seasons or 3rd or 4th season -whenever... I stopped watching after the IRA arc.
    Wait...what came 1st... the IRA arc or Adam Arkin and the White Supremacist attempted takeover of their town?
    I just remember giving up after the last episode of the season where Jax's kid is kidnapped and eventually recovered.

There's so much better shit on cable right now... Breaking Bad, Hell On Wheels, Boardwalk Empire, Suits, and this new one that just started on BBC America- Copper.
    Plus there's a bunch of other shit I never watched that I've ...located recently and "captured"... British series like Wired In The Blood and Cracker. Great stuff.
    If you're a Doctor Who fan (I've never watched an episode) then I'd recommend the limited run series Torchwood. Damn- that was an excellent series.
    Fuck a bunch of teddy bear bikers.

5. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    I tried watching it and thought it was poorly written, far fetched, corny and the acting was lame. Maybe you have to be a biker or a biker wannabe to enjoy it but I found it highly douchey. Didn't hear what Howard said about it but if he thinks it sucks, I'd have to agree with him for once.

6. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I stopped taking any of Howard's recommendations/critiques seriously a while ago.

It's not a great show like "Breaking Bad" (another show Howard dragged his feet on) but Sons of Anarchy is a very fun show. It's a weird hybrid of serious drama, action and a little screwball comedy thrown in for good measure.

The show has it's problems, (it's essentially a cheesy soap opera) but the acting isn't bad at all. Katy Sagal is incredible on it. Seriously. I never knew Peggy Bundy could actually act, but she's amazing.

And who's better than Ron Perlman? Seriously? Howard's a fucking idiot.

7. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Just watch it for whatever it is....flaws and all...and it's a decent enough watch.

There is no way that I would go around touting it as "great"..must see..must watch type of stuff...but it has
    a little bit of something for everyone that might be interested in the subject matter...which shows in it's
    ever growing audience numbers.

I am looking forward to the new season coming up...and of course I am hoping that the show will get
    "better"....but by now..after several seasons gone by...I kind of already know what to expect quality-wise..so
    my expectations are set low by default when it comes to that type of stuff.
    Mostly it's a wild and crazy dramatic ride...just to see where they go with all of their characters, stories and action etc.
    ...and that all said...the actors in the series do sometimes have their moments when it comes to their performances.

8. kicksave7

kicksave7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It also borrows from Greek tragedies...personally, I love the show and it is one of my favorites. I think it's a helluva lot better than True Blood or any of the major network shows. It's probably one of the better ensemble casts on cable and Kurt Sutter knows how to write a season opener and season finale. But in all honesty, how well can Howard critique a show like this when he mostly spends his evenings watching The Bachelor, American Idol and other shows that 13 year old girls like.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  9. jtsly2000

jtsly2000 New Member

Reputations:
    I gave up when the IRA bullshit started as well. I found the blonde guy who is the lead actor to be terrible. Are we really to believe that such a feminine looking pussy would be the head of a biker gang? It's too bad because I really liked Suter's writing on the shield.

10. NiggalissCage

NiggalissCage Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard is a gay man with gay man tastes. Why the fuck would anyone take his recommendations seriously?

11. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 Member

Reputations:

LOL. a grown ass man on a sportster? is he a 1% now too?

12. Senator Rick

Reputations:
    Yeah... I was into Katy Sagal. She's the whole show. Also liked Tommy Flannagan (Chibs Tellford), Kim Coates (Tig Traeger), Maggie Siff (Tara...smokin' hot babe), and especially Mark Boone Junior (Bobby Munson) -an awesome character actor who turns up in some truly great films besides this ok series.

Hell... I even like Justified better than Sons. The bad guys are always scarier and usually great character actors who you recognize from big deal movies.

13. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    Adam Arkin sent Henry Rollins to Rape Katey Segal in S2. The IRA was S3 and almost killed the show with its lame storyline and fogged tinted lense to try and make Northern California during the day look like Ireland at night.

Wiggy hates it so much he watched the entire season over the weekend. Fuck him and his shit taste in stuff. If I was a litligous as howard I would file suit to get back the two hours I wasted on that Tao of Steve movie he recommended years ago. No one is saying its the best thing on TV but its light years above average and better than the list of reality dreck and Hamptons buddy projects Howard is constantly schilling.

Howard is just plugging it now becuase his butt Buddy Chuck Zito them claimng he came up with it and they thru him a mercy appearnce this year as a consolation prize.

14. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the season 3 finale is one of the best episodes of the series.

15. Senator Rick

Reputations:

Excellent points! Especially the tinted shit!
    I gotta rep you later for this post... I'm out of ammo for the night.

16. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Hamptons is a metro-sexual fag.... It's a subject he has no earthly connection to...Watch it

17. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    "The Munsters was the best television ever made" I rest my case......

18. BudBudha

BudBudha Male Underwear Model

Reputations:
    Senator when's Boardwalk Empire coming back?

19. kicksave7

kicksave7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think you're on to something here...this show has been on for a few years and he's just now plugging into it? He'll probably have Chuck Zito on to plug his appearance.

20. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sorry, there's no way a judge on some faggot talent show is watching Sons of Anarchy....Totally a myth