Is Howard Stern, or was he ever, funny?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by porker159, Jul 2, 2014.

1. porker159

porker159 Member

Reputations:
    I love the old Howard. The way he would obliterate celebrities, mock his employees, rant against management. He's a good interviewer and a skilled broadcaster. I still think the old shows, up until the early Sirius years, are extremely entertaining. But I don't Howard has ever made me *laugh* once.

I'll take it a step further: I think Howard is humorless. When funny people like Artie (making one liners), Fred (doing impressions or dropping sound effects), or guest comedians make jokes, he very *rarely* laughs. It's like he's annoyed when other people try to be funny. His response is usually to make them feel vulnerable by asking an embarrassing question. Or to simply attack his underlings. In the old days, how many times did he tell Stuttering John, KC, Gary, Scott the Engineer, Ronnie that they are "not funny"?

Whenever he goes on talk shows, is when he's trying the hardest to be funny. But he goes into his weird shtick that is completely different from his on-air persona. He is high-energy, makes goofy facial expressions and hand movements, in the old days he would sexually harass the male interviewers. He's trying soooo hard to funny... but it's almost like he's a parody of himself.

In the old days, he would frequently describe himself as a "comedian." He wants people to think he's the funniest man alive. But as die-hard fans know, he's an extremely insecure person. Deep down, he feels extremely ugly and desperately unfunny. I think at the end of the day, he's really just jealous of comedians, and knows deep down that he doesn't actually have the gift of humor.

2. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    in a word yes

scooottt likes this.
  3. Chuck Kongo

Chuck Kongo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Uh....maybe because NONE of them ARE FUNNY on their own or outside the context of the show (i.e. Howard goofing on them).

And are you kidding me with the Howard never laughs at anyone or anything else? He just as often used to oversell how funny something someone else said or did actually was.

He's used to be exactly what he was in the OnDemand opening.....the ringmaster.....the guy who holds the format and keeps the show moving.

And of course he was never funny....just read the butthurt sandy vaginas in this forum....every funny thing Howard ever said or did was written for him by the super comedic talents Jackie Martling, John Melendez, and Billy West.

4. scooottt

scooottt Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Chris Rock thinks so
    :dontknow:

5. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Howard was definitely funny, but whenever I listen to old clips, it's hard to enjoy it because now the annoying aspects of him really stick out. Something I never noticed much when I was a fan.

I recently listened to old Gilbert news clips from '04 and Gilbert was hilarious and Artie was great at keeping him going and adding in some funny lines. But Howard was actually ruining a lot of it by chiming in. It's now impossible to ignore and there's a bias that I take with me whenever I revisit shit that I used to love.

But I know that I genuinely laughed at Howard on many occasions back in the day. Stuff that wasn't scripted and came off the cuff. To me, that stuff was always funnier than the bits. I remember a time when I actually looked forward to Robin's news. Howard had a great way of dissecting shit and exposing the absurdity of things that we never thought twice about. Those days are long gone.

6. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes to everything you wrote. Nice post.

Howard is not funny. Just look at his twitter feed. He can't come up with a single funny or interesting thought. Howard has been exposed these last few years as all the surrounding talent on the show has disappeared.

Howard true talent is that he is a master puppeteer. He is the circus carnival ringleader. But all that is left around him are "yes men" and Lisa G. So sad.

PelicanWig likes this.
  7. dalecooper

dalecooper Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Any time he tries to be funny without someone feeding him lines it is cringe inducing - impressions of his parents, the broadway musical bits, pretending to be bad at math.

A recent example I keep seeing in pics posted here is the way he mugs for the camera on AGT. It's obviously meant to be humorous, but it just looks like a sick old man about to throw up his latest portion of egg whites.

[​IMG]

BeerCanThick and PelicanWig like this.
  8. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The dude made me laugh 15 years ago. He was funny, but he got lazy and my tastes changed. Of course it's not as funny when I listen to old clips now. There was a time when Dice saying, "hickory dickory dock" made me laugh, not so much anymore. Doesn't mean that Dice was NEVER funny, but he's gotten stale. Same goes for almost all comedians...

9. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Analysis is spot on

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  10. Chuck Kongo

Chuck Kongo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's amazing that Howard, at the spry young age of 60 just isn't funny anymore.

I mean Eddie Murphy is still hilarious......Mel Brooks is still making funny movies.....everything Bobby De Niro touches is gold......Metallica is still making awesome music.....I mean the list just goes on and on of all kinds of entertainers who are old as fuck and still at the top of their game (producing NEW material).

Oh wait.....no, it doesn't......they're all washed up and have been producing shit for decades.

sammyr134 likes this.
  11. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    i'm not so sure.

Mulletude likes this.
  12. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He was funny when he had Jackie feeding him lines. He's humorless with Benjy feeding him lines.

Mulletude, OV and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  13. balloon knot

balloon knot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    no, he at one time hired funny people to put around him

Willowglen likes this.
  14. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's changed his hair style so many times now, he don't know what he looks like.

reno likes this.
  15. guruhugz

guruhugz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He is not funny at all. Funny people in the studio gives the illusion that he is funny. Alas, people with talent want to be paid.

16. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    A sober, eager-to-please Artie taking over "The Jackie Chair" initially kept the show's level of funny ramped up diverting attention away from the reality that most of the laughs were no longer being generated by the evolving Zoo-Keeper. And that was okay so long as the show's humor quotient fulfilled familiar expectations. Only when Artie's addiction transitioned from novelty to tedium did the show's humor shortcomings become obvious - specifically Howard's inability to carry a show without Jackie's writing and surrounded by unfunny douches - and the reality that Jackie was justifiably the Head Writer and Fred merely a comedy-wring poseur. That's not to deny that at one time Howard truly was funny cuz he was in a fresh impromptu way like passing off the DJ up by deciding to call the Iranian Embassy at 11AM when his show should have been ending. He was! But the fact is he already started losing a step or 2 by the time Jackie left although he did have some instincts left. He got lazy by relying on Artie to carry the load but even so, he was never more than the ringleader of a funny troupe led by Jackie and Billy.

17. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The only funny things about Howard are his wig and his giant Adam's apple bouncing up and down when he laughs.

[​IMG]

BeerCanThick and Shithead like this.
  18. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    THIS. I think he's like a comedic actor. He's been handed funny material...:coffee:

BadKarma likes this.
  19. Big Lar

Big Lar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Eh, I disagree. Before he got old and gave up he was funny and witty. In fact, if you listen to his old stuff he referred to himself as a comedian. That being said, I think Jackie helped put him over the top as time went on.

PI Nate likes this.
  20. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wish he would extend that same courtesy to Shuli once in a while because he's worse than all of them.