Is Howard Stern the least talented American to ever make it "big" in show business?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by PurplePeople, Sep 10, 2013.

1. PurplePeople

PurplePeople New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Howard is not witty (except when being fed lines). As an interviewer he constantly interrupts and steps on his guests funny lines. He isn't very intelligent or at least he is incredibly uninterested in learning about politics, history, music, sports, etc. About the only real talent I have seen in the guy is that he lies flawlessly and he and his agent are masters at self promotion.

Here are some others without talent who have made it "big" (not counting realty tv people) in entertainment or broadcasting without deserving it in my opinion:

Adam Sandler, Queen Latifah, Keanu Reeves, Larry King, Ben Stiller, Chris Berman, Tim McCarver, Barbara Walters, Dick Clark, Rick Dees, Jimmie "JJ" Walker, David Brenner, Greta Van Sustern, Andrea Mitchell, David Bowie, Brittney Spears, Jackie Mason, Rachel Maddow, Glenn Beck, Adam Durwitz (or whatever the name is for that horribly off key, pretentious singer for the Counting Crows), Dan Rather, and Robin Quivers (although it's stretching it to say she made it big, she is without any talent and is very well known).

Anyone else you can think of who made the big time with as little talent as Howard?

2. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, based on the current shit product he provides as well as the horrible tv show he's on, he's certainly the most overpaid at the moment.

That being said Howard did put on a fantastic product for about 2 decades, so I wouldn't categorized him as least talented to make it big.

I mean, he's on a show with Nick Cannon, what the fuck is that guy's talent besides being a nice easy going guy?

3. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Howard's talent wasn't so much his entertainment abilities as his ability to push the envelope at the right time with the right set of people behind him.

4. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Based on your 1st post , I should Rep you. But you may turn out to be a troll.

5. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie Crash Victim

Reputations:
    OP mentions David Bowie...what a fucking idiot. Bowie is a genius.

6. PurplePeople

Reputations:

Howard may have been the host of a show that you thought was once funny, but he certainly isn't funny now nor was he ever funny IMO. I mean Ed Sullivan had a show which entertained people for two decades and no one thought he had any talent. Howard just got lucky. He used the right people and stole a bit of Steve Dahl and a bit of Imus with a dash of Muhammad Ali type of bravado and voila he became the self proclaimed king!

7. Wigward Hairhat

Wigward Hairhat Active Member

Reputations:
    I think he's certainly one of the the least talented to ever make it as rich as he has done anyway.

Here's a list of some mega rich people in the entertainment field: http://www.celebritynetworth.com/list/top-50-richest-celebrities/
    Even if I don't like their output I can't deny that nearly all of them have some sort of discernible talent. Maybe Yoko Ono might be the one who's less talented than Stern, but she's not really even claiming to be a talent as far as I know? Candy Spelling, I've never even heard of? Presumably some relation of Aaron Spelling who inherited his dough?

I always laugh when I hear Stern talking about himself as talented and creative. 'Fartman' is about as deep as his creative mind goes.

8. PurplePeople

Reputations:
    To each his own, my friend. I think his music sucks. Try watching your genius Dancing in the Streets with Mick Jagger and tell me that is the work of "genius".

9. Joe Bauers

Reputations:

and he stole that.

10. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard isn't the least talented by any means. He used to know what was funny and his timing was (and still is) impeccable. Is he creative? No. But if you look nearly all actors, they aren't creative either. They merely recite material created by someone else and are told how to do it by a director. If anyone thinks what Howard did was pure luck and could be done by anyone, they're crazy. It's just too bad he stuck around too long. Had he just quit radio rather than gone to Sirius, our opinions of him wouldn't be so low.

11. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This plus having lucked out by hiring Jackie and Billy being gifted to him.

12. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Who the fuck is THIS faggot?

13. PurplePeople

Reputations:
    add your avatar to the list. i hope you are using Jerry Lewis mockingly or maybe he is a genius to you as well.

14. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was HowardStearn

15. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:

Dan, comment....... maybe

16. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Dan was monosyllabic.

17. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie Crash Victim

Reputations:
    He's smarter than you.

18. PurplePeople

Reputations:
    Maybe you're right about Howard being a great producer. But that isn't considered talent to me. Who were the talents; the record company owners and managers who stole publishing royalties or the muscians? I didn't say Howard had no taste years ago- he stole from the best- I said he has no discernable entertainment talent.

I gotta disagree about Q Latifah, though. She has been shoved down our throats in movies for the past decade and I think her acting sucks. Never heard one of her songs, so can't comment on her singing ability.

19. Joe Bauers

Reputations:
    Let it be said that , I did not Rep him.

20. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    The man had talent and was awesome for years. The show is shit now. There ARE TONS of "celebs" out there who are famous for no reason.

Kardashians made it in show business with no talent. Hiltons, most singers today, etc.