Is it bad form to celebrate Labor Day when there are so many unemployed?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Stern Fan Dude, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Stern Fan Dude

Stern Fan Dude New Member

Reputations:
    Seriously...do you?
    All of us who work are kind of rubbing the unemployed's nose in it by celebrating the fact that we have jobs.
    What if you are one of the millions of unemployed...do you sit in the house today with the shades drawn and drowning your sorrows in your $5 bottle of peach schnapps or do you go out and celebrate with the fat and happy crowed and hope for a better tomorrow?

2. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:
    Suck what?

3. blairg

blairg loving Mari

Reputations:
    it depends on their circumstances. if they are physically unable to work or if they live in a place where there are literally no jobs I feel bad for them. but if they live in a city the size of Cleveland where there are probably jobs everywhere, yet they choose not to work because they are fucking lazy, they can go fuck themselves.

4. Stern Fan Dude

Stern Fan Dude New Member

Reputations:
    I agree with your statement.
    And I'll take it a step further and say if you refuse to work out of sheer laziness then I think the government has the right to execute you so we can save our precious resources for those who pay into society.

5. blairg

blairg loving Mari

Reputations:
    Especially if you're young and healthy and spend all day posting on message boards about your gay exploits all day instead of job hunting :grad:

6. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Those that are unemployed due to no fault of their own that are trying to find work deserve the help of society. Those that choose not to work because certain jobs are beneath them or they can't find their dream job or because they are simply lazy and enjoy squandering tax money can go fuck themselves and get no sympathy from me. I've worked at least one full time job and several side jobs at the same time since I was 16 (yes, a full time job when I went to high school). Execution for the lazy degenerates is a fine idea. Reps.

7. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    I celebrated Labor Day by getting up at 5am and going to work, without pay. :nocheer:

8. walleye

walleye Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Today is rest day

9. wetback

wetback #1 Asshole VIP

Reputations:
    :bigthink I wonder who you are talking bout?

10. walleye

walleye Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Wondering the samething

11. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:
    I got up at 6, took the dog to a park for a nice long walk, painted a couple window sills and ate lunch...whew, I am exhausted

12. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Got up, fed the dogs and horses then drove 45 minutes to work at 8AM. Normal pay but get 12 hours of comp time to use when I feel like it. WOOT!

13. Reggae Mistress

Reggae Mistress Old Catcher's Mitt

Reputations:
    I got up at 6, fed the animals, cooked breakfast for the humans, worked out, cleaned the kitchen and am now refinishing furniture...it's a day off from the office but not from life.

14. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    just answered email from Europe. That's the extent of my Labor Day work. The rest of this week should be similar because almost everyone's out of office messages say they won't be back till Sept 10th.

15. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Furniture refinishing thread with pics!

Whatcha doing? I love that stuff. The more paint/stain fumes the better.

16. Reggae Mistress

Reputations:
    No thread, no pictures...please, I get enough grief around here.
    I'm redoing our master. I'm staining and distressing all of our furniture in a dark walnut. I stripped and sanded last week after I painted the room, ceiling to floor. All the hardware is forged wrought iron, made by a local welder. It looks amazing. Once the furniture is done, I'm installing handscraped hardwoods. I love every second of it...the original room was very traditional and I'm going with a pseudo Caribbean/Balinese look...dark wood, bright white trim and cool colors (temperature 'cool', not 'hip' cool)

17. Lemmy

Reputations:
    I get plenty of grief myself......fuck 'em!

Sounds like a fun undertaking! By "installing hand scraped hardwoods" I take it you mean the floor? Those hand scraped floors look killer. I almost put one in when I did out whole house a few years ago but I had concerns due to our dogs and being able to refinish it down the road. Have you ever installed a floor before? Or are you having it done?

I love the dark wood with painted trim look! Unfortunately we had to go with a lighter floor since the house is log and is dark enough inside but we went with white trim and bright walls wherever there is drywall to brighten the place up a bit.

Doing this sort of stuff yourself is so rewarding!

18. sarnie

sarnie haha,sore losers Gold

Reputations:
    which candidate will lie better about bringing jobs back here from over seas? most everything you bought your child to get ready for school was made in china and also most small appliances

19. Reggae Mistress

Reputations:
    You live in a log home? Fuck, I'm so jealous...my dream house!
    I do the majority of the work here myself and I love it. I tore out my hardwoods on the first flow because of the pets and getting a pool installed. We decided on tile and because of the square footage, I GC'd it out. Smartest move ever since I noticed some foundation cracks that needed to be repaired.
    Only reason I am going hardwood upstairs is because the dogs aren't allowed upstairs :jj: and yes, I've installed a few hardwood floors in my day. My Dad says I am the son he always wished he had (he had 4 sons before me).

20. Lemmy

Reputations:
    That's great that you tackle projects like that! I'm shocked at the amount of people I work with that can't even change out the guts in a toilet or replace a faucet. Shameful!

The log home is pretty cool but they are a nightmare to maintain compared to just about anything else. I'd much prefer brick but the log nightmare was on the property we wanted. I'm on a strict maintenance plan now that we fixed the previous owner's neglect and fuckups.