Is it legal to have Absinthe (the real shit) mailed to me from Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HowardsPrenup, Aug 27, 2012.

1. HowardsPrenup

HowardsPrenup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is it legal to buy it and ship it back to the states? It's the real thing over there, not watered down. Someone I know is in Amsterdam now and drank it. I've never had it - but want to. Remember the NIN video for The Perfect Drug? Yeah, that's when I first heard about it too.

2. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    It's legal, you can get the good stuff here.

http://www.originalabsinthe.com/

3. Nibbler

Nibbler heaven is in your mind Gold

Reputations:
    I would love to try that.

4. noname2

noname2 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Party at Nibb's crib!

5. Nibbler

Nibbler heaven is in your mind Gold

Reputations:
    Kelly, we would have so much fun!

6. noname2

noname2 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Let me go get my kinky boots. And call Dlist... she a whoooer!

7. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    I smuggled back a number of bottles back in the late 90s before it was legal again in the US (I used to live in Europe). The ingredient that caused the "problem" with absinthe was northern wormwood. It is also the ingredient that supposedly gives it hallucinatory properties. I used to see some crap Eastern European absinthe for sale in Soho that literally had what appeared to be a stalk of northern wormwood suspended in it. The alcohol content was also about as high as grain alcohol. Northern wormwood also (as far as I recall) has trace carcinogens; which is why absinthe remained illegal for so many years. I'm sure the info is on wikipedia or something.

The stuff they sell in the US doesn't (as far as I know) use northern wormwood; I believe they use southern wormwood or something else. I doubt it makes a real difference. I still have a bunch of old bottles--mostly of La Fée. La Fée uses an old French recipe so it's probably about as authentic as it gets. Also, don't fall for the bullshit method of preparing absinthe (burning a sugar cube). That is a bunch of horseshit. Use a slotted spoon and drip water--I'm sure there are videos on YouTube.

It's not my favorite drink; I liked the concept of getting fucked up and tripping balls when I bought it but the only thing that happened was the getting drunk part. Personally, I prefer a good bottle of Elijah Craig at this point.

In regards to your question, I wouldn't waste my time with the expense of trying to mail order a bottle from Europe. Just buy the Pernod or whatever it is--I'm sure that's just as good as what you'd get from Europe.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  8. monsoon

monsoon Who are you with?

Reputations:
    I drink absinthe regularly with 2 cubes of sugar...make sure your slotted spoon is silver and use decent water........mmmmmmmmmm

I'll have one with ya.....

f-Mutt

9. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
  10. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    Have fun getting fucked up. I drank that shit a few times, and while I'm sure it wasn't the real deal I was drunker than shit, and quickly. I remember having people over for a football game and a buddy brought over a bottle and I blacked out in like an hour, didn't remember who won the game or recall playing football in the street where I landed on my head after trying to catch a pass. Just know ahead of time that you'll be wasted.

11. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    If you've never tasted absinthe, it tastes like black liquorice. It's a botanical liquor with lots of anise. I used to throw back quite a few glasses of Turkish Raki--it is very similar to that (and does the same type of louche). Absinthe is defiantly an acquired taste. Personally, I don't care for it. I think the allure has more to do with the preparation ritual than anything else. But then again I don't care for any botanical liquors (like gin)--give me a good bourbon or an Islay malt any day.

12. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    By the way...this is the way NOT to prepare absinthe
    [video=youtube_share;rcmWMdRTfiY]http://youtu.be/rcmWMdRTfiY[/video]

This is the correct way:
    [video=youtube;Fy8hEbbSj0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy8hEbbSj0o&feature=related[/video]

13. HowardsPrenup

Reputations:
    Exactly - it's milder if bought in the states. Wormwood is the key. I'm hoping my bro can ship some back. I don't want to buy it here, I want no questions remaining when I take a shot. No corners cut.

14. HowardsPrenup

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;Q3WxYSltHGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3WxYSltHGc[/video]

15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;z7Ddvnq2oms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Ddvnq2oms[/video]

[video=youtube;lVVZdo1MXuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVZdo1MXuM[/video]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  16. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    The stuff that I drank tasted like Jagermeister mixed with gasoline.

17. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Holy shit, that's too much work to get a buzz. I can be on my second bottle of MD 20/20 by the time one Absinthe is ready for consumption.

18. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Never understood the shadow legality of it. You can purchase tincture of wormwood at almost every health food store and you can - obviously - purchase alcohol anywhere.

I am not sure why Absinthe would ever be limited to the public if the two active highs in it are legal to purchase.

Just make sure you go easy the first time. I used to work in vitamins and one of the guys I worked with actually picked wormwood for a vitamin company - even just brushing up against the plant was enough to get him high and he said it was not pleasant. And he was a wake and bake kind of guy.

19. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    I've never tried the domestic stuff, but I tried the real deal in Amsterdam, Berlin and Budapest. It just got me drunk.

20. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    pretentious, hipster drink preferred by the never been published writing types