Sports Is NFL too "even" now?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by bootyclause, Sep 11, 2016.

1. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They kept changing little things every year since the 80s or 90s and now it's like every game is 31-28 with a last second field goal or 4th down stop. Seems like artificial drama just to get tv ratings. 2 random teams make the Super Bowl every year now.

I miss blowouts and dominant teams, that was part of the charm of football. Now, I don't know......I hate how you can't even have a good team with some "gimme" wins. It's just everyone being 7-9 or 9-7.

I say get rid of the salary cap and revenue sharing, let the Cowboys spend 500 mil on their roster. That would create a buzz.

2. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Pats have been in the Super Bowl 8 times in the last 30 years. That's doesn't seem random at all.

3. bootyclause

Reputations:
    also, people get so into the draft and free agency......seems like that stuff never matters once the game starts. Like did your new free safety or left guard really do anything differently than the last guy that changed the outcome of today's game? They're just kind of random pawns, most players have no impact on who wins in the last 2 minutes.

4. bootyclause

Reputations:
    yeah, because of Tom Brady. somewhat because of Belichick.

the bottom 25-27 QBs don't impact the games and the 1500 or so position players have no impact either.

In baseball, nerds made up a stat called WAR, wins above replacement. Like how much better is play X than a minor leaguer, how many wins are they worth? Doesn't matter the actual numbers, just the idea.

Guys like JJ Watt, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson - they had a football WAR of maybe 1 game. Their team probably won 1 extra game because they were on the team. Brady, prime Peyton, Rodgers, modern Cam....those guys WARs are probably 5-6 games, they matter a ton. The other players don't do shit anymore though.

5. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Patriots won 11 games when Brady was out for a year. Its a salary capped, team sport - some teams do it better than others.

Denver won last year's Super Bowl with the worst QB play and a great defense.

6. azman5103

azman5103 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Carolina was 15-1 last year and made the Super Bowl.

7. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Forwarded to NFL commish...

8. MrsTreat

MrsTreat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cheating kind of takes the randomness out of it. :)

9. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The game sucks when only 4 or 5 teams have a legitimate chance every year. In the early 90s, all you had were Bills/49ers/Cowboys, and then everyone else scrapping. It was boring.

funkface and babybear like this.
  10. Howchilla

Howchilla VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I've been listening to so many podcasts lately, i don't know where to attribute who made had this theory.

Basically, with the new salary cap and the rookie contracts being so low, teams are jettisoning their older guys and going w/ younger inexperienced guys who are a lot cheaper. With training camp being so short and the days of double session are gone, you have a lot of young, dumb guys who play catch-up during the year.

11. Bobby Axelrod

Bobby Axelrod Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It's a GAME.

Stop thinking about it so much and just enjoy the athleticism, skill and competitiveness being displayed.

12. azman5103

azman5103 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There are still only 4-5 teams that can legitimately win it every year...but the great thing about the NFL is that you don't know who those 4-5 teams are until mid season.....then one of those 4-5 drops out of legit contention by the end of the season and they are replaced by a dark horse team that gets hot at the right time.

Look at the fucking gay NBA, or even Baseball. If you got 3 guesses who would win the championship a month before the season started....you would probably be correct 90% of the time or more.

13. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    The dramatic reduction in practice time since 2011 has led to general mediocrity across the league. Great individuals will always stand out, but the great coaches have been lamenting the lack off prep time needed to produce their best team.

14. OneBallBelz

OneBallBelz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Parity. That's the term I heard when the NHL was trying to be a sport on the level of basketball and baseball.
    Unfortunately, that also allows 8-8 teams to win a division and the last wild card team to win the Super Bowl.

15. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

Well I certainly hear and understand what you're saying but I'd guess 99.875% of the football fans would completely disagree with you.

Unless you're just kidding of course.