is there any sort of discount for having multiple sirius cars?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by sinicalypse, Jun 18, 2015.

1. sinicalypse

sinicalypse Active Member

Reputations:
    hey guys, longtime mostly-lurker/sporadic-babbler here.... i just talked to my dad who got bored and bought a new car, and of course when you get a new(-to-you) car and there's sirius in there you get some kind of trial and then a nudge nudge like "IT'S ONLY $15/MONTH" to keep going with it.

my dad's scenario is one where where he just bought a new car today and he's got the sirius/XM trial and he's all "i'm going to call them up and see if they'll give me a discount on a second car" i'm telling him WHOAAA NO DUDE WAIT HOLD UP LEMME HOLLAR AT THE SHED HERE BECAUSE I THINK IF YOU ASK THEM *IF* THERE'S A DISCOUNT THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO AND JOT DOWN A NOTE IN YOUR ACCOUNT THAT THEY HAVE YOU ALREADY SO STICK EM WITH FULL PRICE. so i've advised thim to NOT call up and ask IF there is a discount cuz that can only work against him..... i said you have to think up a way to make it seem like you're cancelling/not-getting the new car hooked up with S/XM (sounds like a bondage acronym) and then as a last ditch effort to not lose your $$$ they'll offer you a proper price.

but yeah i havent fucked with them for years so i dont know what time it is on this one.... what should i tell him to do in order to achieve the goal of a discounted 2nd-car/unit on his account? i think obviously he's locked into paying whatever price he pays for the first car and he's ok with that, but he's claiming he only wants the service in the 2nd car if he gets some sort of a discount cuz he doesnt want to pay full price for 2 cars/units per month...... so noting and apologizing for the TLDR here... what do i tell him to do here? what does he gave to say to S/XM to get a nice proper price on car/unit #2?

thank you and be excellent everyone!

2. John Coktoaston

John Coktoaston Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wait until the free months are used before trying to chisel them down

SternsEgo and Shortwave98 like this.
  3. Goodfella

Goodfella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just called them to stop service on a radio that i hardly use. They added more channels to my internet subscription, kept the radio on my plan and reduced my bill almost in half.

No rhyme or reason, like airline pricing.

Hope this helps!

:grad:

:lol:

John Coktoaston likes this.
  4. sinicalypse

sinicalypse Active Member

Reputations:
    [and then there's a 2nd message that just came up]

ok so basically you DON'T wanna call them up asking if there's a discount, you wanna call them up like you're going to stop service on a car/unit (in this case, you wait til the end of the new car's free trial and call u[p saying HEY STOP THE SERVICE SO I DONT GET BILLED AUTOMATICALLY cuz i think maybe it's set up where if you have the free trial in your car and dont do anything they'll just start billing you full price automatically, erght?) and then they'll do the discount?

aha that sounds like what i thought he should do in the first place, cuz i flat out told him HEY WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T CALL UP ASKING THEM ***IF*** THERE IS A DISCOUNT FOR A 2ND UNIT.... make sure you call them up like "hey i wanna get rid of this second unit" and then they'll offer you the discount. i'll call him up now and pass this along to him cuz even tho it's just like $5-10/month and that's chump change to a guy who gets bored in retirement in the summer and buys a car to have something to do.... but still i wont want him to end up a chump with full price accounts cuz he's mister super-honest-boy-scout (too classy to do the "gypsy" stuff like faking a cancel to get a discount) when prolly 25% of all sirius/XM customers are getting nice/proper half-off rates cuz they play the GET RID OF THIS DAMN THING game and get the REAL price as opposed to that $15-20+/month shit where they still pretend they're two different companies and as opposed to them merging and giving you up-to-2x-the-content for the saame price, you know an actual benefit to the consuimer, they pretend they're still 2 different companies and if you want whatever the best thing on sirius or XM ius and you happen to have a unit for "the other brand" then you have to give them an extra $5-10/month for a total of $20-25/month) for the "best of" the other brand/service/company.... EVEN THO THEY'RE ALL THE SAME GODDAMN COMPANY.

so eyah TLDR = im advising him to only call closer to the trial running out and say "get rid of this cuz i dont wanna get automatically billed for the new/2nd car/unit" and then that's when they'll capitulate and give him the proper discounted price. any other tips/advice here or is this the optimum battle plan?

thanks for the help guys/gals/etc it's much appreciated!

5. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The brake they offer you don't get the good channels. 5 months 20/30 bucks. Really how many hours a day u in you car.

6. John Coktoaston

John Coktoaston Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would NOT call Sirius at all. toward the end of your dad's free trial period, he will start getting mail from Sirius about the radio in his new car, and Sirius may call him at some point. He will have more leverage with pricing if he acts like he can live without having Sirius In this car beyond the initial free period. That's when they start getting aggressive with their pricing

In my experience, when the free trial was over in a new car, the radio stopped working until I agreed to a new price/contract

7. The Jackie chair

The Jackie chair Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Call if and say you want to cancel because it is to expensive. You can hold out for the 6 months for $25 on each radio.