Is there REALLY a discernible difference in marijuana strains?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Phan Neepack, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ... Admittedly, I've never been a regular user of weed. The high never did a whole lot for me ..And, I haven't smoked in years .... But of all the various names of weed I've smoked back in the day (and I've smoked with some pretty involved regular users), I was never able to discern one particular "high" from another ... It all felt the same to me..... So, I've always believed that potheads talked up a particular strain over another simply to give their mushy brains some commonality & something to relate to....

IS there a detectable difference ? Or is that all a bunch of mushybrain pothead nonsense ??

2. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    being a cannabis expert let me answer this for you.

I think so!

3. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  4. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    yes :grad:

5. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    yes :grad:

i'm testing new medicine as i type.

i approve! :dance:

6. Asshat

Asshat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well weed comes in two species, indica and sativa. It's not hard to tell between them. Beyond that, if you're talking about differences between strains then that is another matter. People do get pretty stupid when they try to describe the effects of specific strains. See leafly.com for examples.

7. Air Florida

Air Florida Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    BIG difference...I've been a regular smoker for 40 years and the last year or so I have been consuming medical strains only and the effects widely vary.....

some shit makes you giddy...some make you hungry and some put you in a fucking coma....

I've been puffing on "Girl Scout Cookies" lately and that stuff makes me nod off at my computer like I'm on heroin...

8. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hi... 2manboobs.... Yes,... there ... is. ...Boon....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  9. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    they don't remember:leaf:

10. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:

what was the question?

and do you have any donuts?

11. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

12. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:

This is on the right track. They are the same species, but come in two distinct strains: Indica and Sativa. Most of what you buy is not pure, however, but a mixture or hybrid of the two strains.

Pure Indica strains are shorter, squat plants with thick full buds that give you more of a "body buzz," meaning it hits you all over the head and body, makes watching TV actually seem like you're doing something, and makes you lethargic and sleepy. This makes it great medicine for insomnia, anorexia, and pain relief. (Clinically-speaking, anorexia just means lack of appetite.) Indica has higher yield than sativa, therefore most of what you buy commercially (aka: black market) is mostly indica.

Pure sativa strains are taller, slimmer, and usually have smaller yield than indicas. Their hallmark is that the buzz hits you just from the head up, or "head high." It usually gives you energy, and makes you want to get outside and do shit like hiking, biking, anything! It is NOT the kind of weed you smoke at night, as sleep will be difficult.

Hybrids are mostly what is out there, and the "Holy Grail is to find a nearly pure sativa strain that yields as much as indicas. Again, this is why "trippy weed" is always more expensive than indica.

Diego...do you concur?

13. Swedish John

Swedish John I'm your huckleberry

Reputations:
    I have dayquil and nyquil. Each one has properties as you would imagine. My buddy is a great horticulturist.

14. Phan Neepack

Reputations:

you don't believe thats all psychosomatic ?

15. Phan Neepack

Reputations:

what about method of ingestion?? Does each one offer a different experience ?

16. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All I know about that is that when the same weed you're smoking is cooked into spaghetti sauce or brownies, it fucks you up way more, and for much longer. You're not burning-up all the resin in the pot, plus you'd use like 1/4 oz in some brownie mix, whereas a bowl or joint is much less.

Pro tip: Make sure to have loaded AND unloaded brownies (or some other viable munchie around), because when you get the munchies, you sure don't want to eat more of the loaded ones.

So I would assume the same holds true for every hybrid of every strain. If you have a medical condition that could be exacerbated by smoking, then eating would be a viable alternative. Go easy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  17. artiesoffspring

artiesoffspring Hugs and kisses

Reputations:
    Lots of words.

18. Daemon

Daemon Asshole

Reputations:
    Everything TripTo said is true!

The only thing I can add is... The quality depends more on how good the grower is than the strain he uses. However, usually the many variations of Kush are good.

19. Phan Neepack

Reputations:
    Of the 3 or 4 dozen times I've smoked weed in my life, only once was the 'high' actually memorable & enjoyable ... The stuff that time was called "Purple Haired" something ... (Can't remember the name) .. And, that knocked me on my ASS once it kicked in... I could literally feel my face start to droop & sag as it began to kick in.... Was taking bong hit after bong hit, and feeling absolutely nothing. Then, all of a sudden, I could feel my face start to drop & hang... One of the oddest feelings I've ever had... That turned out to be a fun session, but waaay to much effort to try & reproduce again....I've always been partial to a nice Rum or Bourbon buzz, anyway..... Much more consistent, and far easier to obtain when you're in the mood...

20. BeetTheBoxer

BeetTheBoxer Active Member

Reputations:
    groids