Politics Is this the lie that could bring Carson down?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Oct 31, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:

Question to Ben Carson at the October 28,2015 Presidential Debate:
    One more question. This is a company called Mannatech, a maker of nutritional supplements, with which you had a 10-year relationship. They offered claims that they could cure autism, cancer, they paid $7 million to settle a deceptive marketing lawsuit in Texas, and yet your involvement continued. Why?

Carson immediately denied involvement, which is a lie. many conservative figureheads, especially Ben Carson and Mike Huckabee, use their status as conservative figureheads to email blast advertisements for snake oil, survivalist gear and financial scams to their followers.
    In fact the former Johns Hopkins pediatric neurosurgeon has repeatedly talked up his close relationship with the company and its products, derived from substances like larch-tree bark and aloe.

In 2004, shortly after he started on the stuff, Carson claimed some symptoms associated with his prostate cancer “went away” as a result — “within about three weeks.”

Five years later, having been hotly pursued by the Texas attorney general’s office, Mannatech settled false-advertising charges for brazenly suggesting its products could treat or even cure Down syndrome, autism, cancer and more.

That didn’t diminish the good doctor’s enthusiasm. In 2011, he told Mannatech associates that the company had donated funds to get him an endowed position at Johns Hopkins Medicine.

“I had an endowed chair bestowed upon me,” Carson said in what was billed as a keynote at a 2011 Mannatech convention. “It requires $2.5 million to do an endowed chair and I’m proud to say that part of that $2.5 million came from Mannatech.”

That’s on tape, too. (The Carson campaign now insists “there was no contribution from Mannatech to Johns Hopkins,” claiming “confusion” on the candidate’s part.)

In all, Carson has given four paid speeches at Mannatech gatherings. For the most recent one, in 2013, he was paid $42,000. In a video from the same year posted on the company’s website, Carson also said of the company’s Amway-style sales regime: “It’s an incredible opportunity for anybody who really wants to be involved with doing something themselves, making a good living.”

skinvy likes this.
  2. garypagetwo

garypagetwo The Gun VIP

Reputations:
    Dawg Im seriously getting worried about you mean, ease it with the politics for a while????

3. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I don't think anyone is shocked that any of them are liars

people will simply point to the candidate from the party they don't support and say
    "how about the lie that asshole told--that was a huge fucking lie"

we deserve whatever happens to us

more cynical than I usually like to be
    crashing from the Halloween sugar high

tradioguy69 likes this.
  4. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    Carson is the asshole in the fast lane with his cruise control set to the speed limit.

Everyone is passing him on the right.

5. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    And how exactly has it been proven that this was a lie?

6. dawg

Reputations:
    He was asked at the debate if he was associated with this company he denied it which was a lie. Read the article dude before commenting.

7. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He lost me at attempted murder anyway...

DDragon likes this.
  8. dawg

Reputations:
  9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Your guy's lies = unimportant, politically motivated persecution
    The other guy's lies = the fate of the Republic is at stake

TeeDonkey and Tipsey Russell like this.
  10. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    :)

Okay, so then if I understand your position correctly, it's your contention that, rather than there possibly being some sort of legitimate misunderstanding over what the term "involvement" meant in his mind with regards to his relationship with this company, Carson either forgot, or thought no one would notice, that he at one time had actually taped professionally produced testimonials for their products?

I don't know what the people responsible for this article are smoking, but I want some. ;)

11. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Carson always sounds like a man on horse tranquilizers who is just making up stuff as he goes along.