Entertainment It’s National Alfred Hitchcock Day!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Mar 12, 2016.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19099_12-classic-movie-moments-made-possible-by-abuse-murder.html[​IMG]

Alfred Hitchcock was a genius, and by all accounts it was amazing to work with him ... as long as you were a dude.

[​IMG]
    Grace Kelly had to stand during Rear Window, while James Stewart just lounged around all day.

Hitchcock had a thing for the ladies, and it wasn't a healthy "thing." Even if you don't read anything into the fact that young, attractive blondes were continuously getting slashed, tortured or harassed in his films, his treatment of them off-camera was just slightly less deranged.

Wait, what?

For instance, Hitchcock cast an unknown called Tippi Hedren in the lead role for The Birds -- presumably because he knew that a famous star wouldn't be quite as receptive to having massive piles of crap unleashed on her. Bird crap, to be more specific: For five days of filming, Hitchcock would throw live birds directly at the actress, peck, scratch and shit all over her. Not satisfied with the resulting terror, he ordered that the birds be physically tied to her, and one of them just missed clawing her eye out.

[​IMG]
    "Can you do that one again?"

All those scenes of the girl losing it in The Birds? She really is that scared, and since this was her big break, she didn't dare saying anything. The whole thing reduced Hedren to tears.

And then things got worse: Hitchcock became infatuated with Hedren, which he demonstrated by paying staff to follow her on her time off and sexually propositioning her (because chicks love guys who throw birds at them). When Hedren refused and demanded to be let out of her contract, the director vowed to ruin her career. And he did: For the next few years, Hedren remained under contract but made no movies. When she was finally released, demand for her had died down, and she spent the remainder of her acting career in relative obscurity.

[​IMG]
    Today this woman is better known as the mother of Melanie Griffith. Think about that for a second.

So what -- he had a weird relationship with one actress. We've all been there, right? Well, another of Hitchcock's victims was the lead actress of The 39 Steps. He'd shout "Bring on the Birmingham tart!" when calling for her on the set, and at one point he left her handcuffed to her male costar for hours until she developed bruises. Then in one scene, he needed a "shocked" reaction from her, so he started unbuttoning his pants as if he was going to whip out his cock.

[​IMG]
    For the love of God, DON'T PAN DOWN.
    http://thechive.com/2016/03/12/its-...-was-even-weirder-than-you-thought-13-photos/
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images
    He was a secret binger as a child. According to an article published by the Telegraph in January 2013, the director gorged on fried fish and mounds of bacon in order to build an “armor of fat” against him and the world. Some say this was a strange response to his Catholic upbringing.

[​IMG]
    Getty Images
    He had a life-long fear of the police. Rationally enough, his phobia stemmed from a childhood trauma, when he was sent by his father to the local station with a hand-written note asking the duty officer to lock him away for five minutes as punishment.

[​IMG]
    What else did he fear? Eggs. He said, “I’m frightened of eggs, worse than frightened, they revolt me. That white round thing without any holes… Have you ever seen anything more revolting than an egg yolk breaking and spilling its yellow liquid? Blood is jolly, red. But egg yolk is yellow, revolting. I’ve never tasted it.”

[​IMG]
    Last fear: watching his own films. “I’m frightened of my own movies.,” he said. “I never go to see them. I don’t know how people can bear to watch my movies.”

[​IMG]
    He once tried to buy up all copies of the original Psycho novel ahead of the film’s release, so that hardly anyone would know how the movie ended. “He also filmed on a closed set and forced cast and crew to sign an agreement promising not to mention the ending to anyone. There were no advance screenings,” The Guardian reported.

[​IMG]
    Getty Images
    Hitchcock worked with a lot of top talent in Hollywood, but his most trusted advisor was his wife, Alma Reville. Neville served as a writer, script supervisor, editor and assistant director on dozens of Hitchcock’s early films, and he came to value her opinion above all others. As a young director, he was even known to look over to Reville after each take and ask, “Was it all right?” before moving on to the next shot.

[​IMG]
    When he won his Lifetime Achievement award in 1979, he joked with friends that he must be about to die soon. He died a year later.

[​IMG]
    He once gave a then 6-year-old Melanie Griffith a doll that looked like her mother. Which would have been nice, except the doll was in a coffin.

[​IMG]
    He is the “voice” of the Jaws ride at Universal Studios.

[​IMG]
    Hitchcock was set to shoot a scene in Disneyland once, but Disney rejected him. Why? Because he made “that disgusting movie”…AKA “Psycho.”

[​IMG]
    Hitchcock wanted Cary Grant to crawl into Abraham Lincoln’s nose in the climatic last scene of North By Northwest, where he would sneeze and give away his position to the bad guys. In fact, that’s pretty much the defining reason he choice to shoot the movie. Sadly, the Mount Rushmore monument was considered off-limits.

[​IMG]
    Hitchcock had only one child, his daughter Patricia. She was in many of his movies, but he didn’t publicize this. She had small roles in films such as “Psycho,” and “Strangers on a Train.”

[​IMG]
    For one of his most elaborate stunts, Hitchcock bet one of his crew that the man couldn’t spend a whole night locked in handcuffs. The crewman accepted, only to later find that the director had secretly dosed him with a laxative before slapping on the cuffs.

Just think about what he would do when he wasn’t joking around. Now go celebrate some more by doing something creepy.

2. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Bates Motel started this week and Norman already killed someone. That boy.... :rolleyes:

boognishstern likes this.
  3. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Dude was a genius.

And geniuses are weird.

Shame bout Tippi Hedren's career, she was gorge.

4. boognishstern

Reputations:
    I gotta get back into that show, it was good from what I remember. soon after the first season I got rid of my cable, just stream stuff or dl torrents now.

ilovebacon likes this.
  5. Roland Schwinn

Roland Schwinn *Likes reported as of October 14, 2016 Gold

Reputations:

Is that on netflix? I think i saw that on there. Was curious about it but didnt go for it. You a fan? Thoughts?

6. boognishstern

Reputations:
  7. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't have Netflix, I watch on A&E.... The actors playing Norman and his mom are both very good. Sometimes the side plots get boring, but when they concentrate on those two characters it's very compelling, IMO...

Roland Schwinn and boognishstern like this.
  8. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This may have been the first book I bought with my own money. :)

[​IMG]

9. boognishstern

Reputations:
    DiamondGoddess likes this.
  10. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The Birds is an all time fave! :bee:

11. boognishstern

Reputations:
    -Alfred Hitchcock was notoriously hard on actors. He was once quoted as saying, “Actors are cattle”—a quip that stirred up a huge outcry. In response, he issued this correction: “I have been misquoted. What I really said is, ‘Actors should be treated as'

-For the film “Psycho” Alfred Hitchcock insisted theater managers to put “no late admission” policy so that audience either see the film from the very beginning, or they don’t see it all.
    [​IMG]

DiamondGoddess likes this.
  12. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:

Dude.

Duuuude.

WTF dude!!!

Talk about the craziest friggin coincidences. :eek:

I had ZERO idea today was Hitchcock day. We cleared out my daughters' rooms for a painter last night. I found an old paperback I'd given my oldest of Alfred Hitchcock short stories for young readers. She loved it. I had a bunch of those as a kid but I've lost track of them.

I JUST ORDERED THAT EXACTLY BOOK FROM AMAZON LEAST NIGHT.

potroast and boognishstern like this.
  13. boognishstern

Reputations:
    Not many things could horrify Alfred Hitchcock. Aside from his strange fear of eggs, the one thing that truly unnerved him was the Holocaust. When he put together a documentary about concentration camps in the 1940s, the footage disturbed him so much that he stayed away from the studio for a week after watching it all.
    Hitchcock had sent his cameramen to 11 concentration camps to get material for his documentary. The editing process took a lot longer than had been anticipated, so by the time Hitchcock and his team were done, the political situation had changed. The director was told that the film would hinder Germany’s post-war reconstruction. In spite of protests from the director, the reels were archived in the Imperial War Museum.

The film was rediscovered in 1980. In 2014, the Museum restored the reels as Hitchcock had intended. The documentary that scared the best horror director in history is set to be screened in 2015.

14. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    Before someone calls bullshit here's my order summary. :jj:

2016-03-12 17.53.41.png

15. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    gilber on his incredible podcast says hitch boned all the actresses

16. DrPeterVenkman

DrPeterVenkman VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

17. boognishstern

Reputations:
    duuuude, eerie as hell is right. I dl the entire 'Psycho' movie collection earlier this week & planned to check it out this weekend. started watching & did a search while watching (i like pulling up nerdy little trivia) & low & behold--
    National Alfred Hitchcock Day!

eliasbboy likes this.
  18. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Love Hitchcock. Vertigo. Rear Window. 39 Steps. Psycho. All of them. My favorite by a mile is North By Northwest.

HTJ, boognishstern and eliasbboy like this.
  19. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    My daughters love scary stories, but they're still too young for REALLY scary movies. I've been telling them about Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I think I'll start watching those with them.

My all time favorite show was the one with the two nurses stranded in a house during a storm and blackout. Of COURSE there was an escapee from the local insane asylum too...

20. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    Found it! It's called "The Unblocked Window".

A serial killer is in the area where some private nurses have locked themselves in a large house, except for one basement window.