"It Was His Choice" Parents Of 5 year old boy Share Their Sons Transition Story

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by teehee, Apr 22, 2015.

1. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    'It was his choice': Parents of five-year-old transgender boy share their son's transition story with the world to inspire other people to embrace their children's true identity
    • Mimi and Joe Lemay of Massachusetts say their son Jacob was never happy as a girl, adding that he has called himself a boy since he was two
    • It took years and many emotional ups and downs before the couple finally decided to let him transition
    • Now attending a school where everyone knows him as a boy, Jacob is the happiest and most outgoing he has ever been

The parents of a five-year-old transgender boy are sharing their son’s story with the world in a bid to prove that there is no such thing as being ‘too young’ to identify as transgender.

Massachusetts couple Mimi and Joe Lemay's son Jacob wasn't always a boy. The five-year-old was born Mia, the second of three sisters.

But from a very early age, Jacob began rejecting his gender. And after years of questioning how to handle his preferences, before finally coming to terms with what their son wanted, the Lemays explained to NBC News that they decided to let their child assume the identity of a boy.

[​IMG]

Boys will be boys: Mimi and Joe Lemay's five-year-old son Jacob was born a girl named Mia, but the couple has now accepted that their child is a boy

Mimi and Joe began to notice that Jacob was having difficulties when he was a toddler. Then named Mia, he would insist on changing his clothes 10 to 12 times a day, in an attempt to find something he felt comfortable in, before his parents bought him a blue 'doggy sweater' that he wore for six months straight - often over girlier dresses and tutus.

The couple assumed they were just raising a tomboy. 'She would take on "boy" personas, and just always want to play with boy things,' said Joe.

'Her need to play boy roles, and her need to be seen or spoken to as a boy at home became very persistent,' added Mimi.

Then, shortly before he turned three, Jacob declared himself a boy.

[​IMG]

Happy family: Jacob was born the second of three daughters in the Massachusetts-based Lemay family

[​IMG]

+
    Finding the right wardrobe: From a young age, Jacob (R) preferred to wear boy clothes; when his parents still dressed him as a girl, the frustrated toddler would change outfits up to 12 times a day

Mimi said that she was worried that Jacob's behavior would make it harder for him to build relationships - already, he had trouble relating to his peers - and she hoped her child's desire to be a boy would go away. In the meantime, she and Joe made allowances while Jacob wasn't in public.

Home became a 'battleground over gender', Mimi wrote in a letter to Jacob on his fifth birthday, which was published by The Synapse, continuing that they decided to let Jacob cut his hair, wear boy clothes, and assume aspects of his male identity at home.

While this made things easier when just family was around - his older sister eventually stopped teasing him about not being a 'real boy' - things were still hard at school, where Jacob didn't engage with his classmates.

Jacob's parents explained that their son's behavior wasn't just that of a typical tomboy. Not content to just 'pretend' to be a boy, Jacob, then still called Mia, hated her body and would say things like: 'Why did god make me this way? Why did god make me wrong?'

1Vegasgirl, DogStar69 and smichal like this.
  2. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
  3. XXXL yoga pants

XXXL yoga pants Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Allowing a 5 year old to make a life altering decision: great parenting. Allowing a 10 year old to walk to school: better take those kids away.

What a fucked up society.

4. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    to think that someone that age can even "make" a decision like this boggles my mind.

Again, these "social experiments" are child abuse to me.

5. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Liberal America ladies and gentlemen

6. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...somebody needs to smack those parents right in the head.

7. Lemmy

Reputations:
    I don't care that the parents let HER dress and act how SHE choses but calling HER HE and changing HER name at such a young age troubles me. Allow HER to develop and be supportive but SHE is a GIRL biologically. Let HER make whatever lifestyle decisions there are to make at a later time nearer adulthood.

8. Lemmy

Reputations:
    God already has. :jj:

ohmicah likes this.
  9. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wanted to drop out of high school and fuck my girlfriend all day but was not permitted.

My parents were real shit bags.

10. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For some reason I'm a little uncomfortable about someone named PSU Shower Room commenting on a 5 year old boy, transgender or not.

11. lurk

lurk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  12. PSU Shower Room

Reputations:
    Suuuurrrre

[​IMG]

13. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    These stories are always confusing and raise a lot of questions......It has to be tough being a parent in this situation

14. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    I wanted to live in the woods and be a wolf....fuckin' mom said no. :mad:

Skipnoid, Missypooh RN, Stag and 4 others like this.
  15. You Knew!

You Knew! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have allowed the same thing with their daughter Shiloh. She's identified herself as a boy since age two or three.

[​IMG]

16. Roland Schwinn

Roland Schwinn *Likes reported as of October 14, 2016 Gold

Reputations:
    Is there anything more cut and dry? If you have a Y chromosome.... You are a MALE! But apparently the science doesnt matter. Which brings me to my next point, where are all these hardcore scientists who love to speak the truth, and expose the weak minded when shit like this comes up?

I doubt Neil Degrasse Tyson will be posting a witty tweet about the science of genetics, sex chromasomes, and gender in the animal kingdom.

17. PSU Shower Room

Reputations:
    I agree. It can't be easy. It seems a little extreme to me though.
    What happens if this kid wants to play football? From an early age she's been allowed to "be a boy." I'd say let her be a tomboy, not tell her she's a boy. After she hits puberty she'll start figuring things out.

18. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    I think its way too young to call her a he. Dress like a boy, act like a boy, but c'mon. My friends daughter went though a phase..I'd say around 5, where she wanted her hair cut like a boy. Hated girly stuff, dressed boyish, wanted to be a boy..Today she is a gorgeous 17 year old girl. Loves being a girl and laughs at that time when she sees her pictures...Maybe the kid will feel the same after puberty, maybe not, it just is too huge a thing for a kid to handle..

SorryBoff, BethsFeet, Zelda and 4 others like this.
  19. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
    They will likely use hormones to block her puberty.

PSU Shower Room likes this.
  20. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Mental patients breed mental patients. Next up, grass is still green.

Beths Arab likes this.