It's Colbert!

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Peau de Soie, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
  2. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Congrats to him. I bet they paid him a ton.

3. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    what a disappointment it wasn't chelsea handler

4. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    You found the bright side! :)

:)

Her brief moment is GONE!

5. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
    The show would have been off the air in a month with that witch at the helm.

6. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    God, I love Colbert on TCR. He has an amazing writing staff, is absurdly quick with improvisations and the premise of the show is still hilarious. The character he developed is so refined and mockable and he'll have to just throw away 10 years of his alter ego. I remember an interview where he said he wouldn't take another job/quit until he gets up in the morning not wanting to go to work or finding joy in his work. I fear CBS will kill all of the innovative stuff that made TCR a funny show. He's so talented, he'll probably do very well, regardless.

10 years of a fantastic program is more than anyone can ask of someone, though. I guess I will have to cherish the next year even more.

Did anyone watch the Late Night 3-episode arc on Louie? I'm surprised it's been resolved so quickly. And I really thought Seinfeld would be the top choice for CBS. Chris Rock is by no means a stretch. I wish they did the gutsy thing and not chosen another male WASP to host. Oh well.

To make it relevant to ALS, I don't see Artie being a regular on Colbert's Late Show.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  7. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Well said, release. He'll be great, but no way does CBS allow it to be anything but another edition of the Tonight Show Except On CBS. The first time he has to respectfully "interview" a truly brainless celebrity about her new tween drama will be a very sad day.

I've never seen Louie's show, but I've read that there was a parallel. Seinfeld would have made more generic-host sense; he's a very mild talent and I wouldn't really care, or ever want to watch, but he'd do a satisfactory job and the masses would eat it. Rock would be wasted, but then again he does that to himself already with the awful movies....

8. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Chris Rock is my favorite stand-up of all time. He has only done one real hosting-type thing and that was the Oscars 10 years ago. He would have a killer monologue but awful interview segments. Rock won't play nice when interviewing stupid people. I think Colbert will learn to play ball.

You bring up something interesting, though, PDS. Colbert will mock bad guests while interviewing them on TCR. If the guest has some kind of weird view on the world, he will up his crazy character to match theirs and sometimes they go even further. Some of his interviews become flat-out hostile because they either don't understand he is playing a character or they feel like they are being made fun of. He will have go towards the ultra-positive Fallon-style attitude when dealing with vapid, self-important reality tv guests.
    "Next up, the guys from Duck Dynasty." "After the break, stay tuned for the crew from Pawn Stars."

9. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes its sad all the network shows follow the same tired formula. Stupid band, lame monologue, awful bit, and shitty prearranged interviews. The worst was Fallon leading Artie into his UFC bit, "So I heard you don't really like MMA?" (not sure of exact quote but you get my point). Pitiful.

10. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    That sounds MUCH funnier when you read it in Artie-doing-Regis-impression voice.

release, that's exactly what I'm afraid (and sure) of -- Colbert will easily learn to play ball. He'll have his dignity, and he'll be funny as hell, but he'll be utterly tamed in the end.

11. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Just to clarify for anyone reading, I hate Chelsea Handler more than Artie does

12. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    I don't really like Cobert, maybe I need to try to watch his show again. I dont like Jon Stewart either. I don't think I like smart political humor.

13. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    I can't tell if you are trying to make some kind of pun.

14. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    No I really don't like either one of them. The misspelling was freaking autocorrect. I think I like the choice better than Chris Mannix's PC douche choice, Neil Patrick Harris.

15. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    NPH is actually a much better fit for a superficial showbiz show. Colbert is too good for it and will be wasted, even though he'll do just fine.

16. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    I have the feeling NPH would just play up the sarcasm because he can't think of anything else to do. He doesn't have a stand-up or improv background like every other late night host. You know who else plays up sarcasm because she can't think of anything? Marie.
    At least he is gay, which would change the landscape of late night forever. Like Jason Collins and as Paula Deen calls him, "that black football player that just came out", it's a double-edged sword: If he gets fired, people will immediately think it's because he's gay rather than because he can't get ratings.

17. JayJ

JayJ Active Member

Reputations:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that

18. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I hate Colbert. More specifically, I hate fans of his.

19. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Isnt late night all the same shit. Now CNN wants 2 get in the game. Same shit head guess.

20. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    I'm one of them. Care to elaborate?