It's the 4th quarter of 2015. The Sirius endgame has begun.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Tony Dogs, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Now that it's October, the final quarter of Howard's contract with Sirius is underway. Since Sirius almost certainly isn't offering to extend him at anything close to what he's making on his current deal, he needs to do something dramatic to improve his negotiating position. (I'm assuming he doesn't want to retire and that staying at Sirius is his preferred option, in large part because no one is offering more guaranteed money for a part-time schedule.)

I expect in the next couple of weeks Howard will take a page from Letterman and announce that he is "retiring" at the end of the year. He can then do a media blitz to promote his farewell and start loading up the show with familiar guests (maybe even have Artie and Stuttering John back in the studio if he's really desperate) and replaying classic bits, all in the hope of convincing enough former listeners to sign up with Sirius to hear his final shows so he can then go back to management and convince them that he's solely responsible for a big increase in subscribers in the quarter and that they need up their offer if they want him to stay. My guess is the strategy probably won't be successful, mostly because Howard just doesn't have a lot of leverage since there's only one satellite radio company instead of two that he could play off against each other.

I don't know how Sirius management would respond, but I suspect that if they can't reach an agreement with Howard regarding a straight salary, they may try to work out an HBO-type deal where Howard keeps his studio and 2 channels, but goes onto a premium pay tier which is made available to all Sirius and XM subscribers. He can determine the price of the channels, how many shows he wants to produce each month, pay his staff directly, sell his own ads, etc. Once he kicks back something to Sirius to cover studio rent and administrative costs, he can keep everything he takes in. Even if he makes less money than he currently is, he probably would clear a lot more than he could doing a podcast, and he wouldn't have to cover the costs of renting space and building a new studio in NYC. If he is going to be taking direct responsibility for the payroll in 2016, it would also explain the attrition that's been going on with the staff.

Divorce Chicken likes this.
  2. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I think John Malone has had his fill of Howie.

3. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller floating around

Reputations:
  4. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Haven't we all had enough?

5. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    we aint gonna find out till the very last minute.

6. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Howard would never use his own marbles. That's what "partners" do.

7. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  8. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard's not staying at Sirius.

It's interesting you bring up HBO.. If he does go to TV, he may be heading to a premium cable channel (and they're killing it right now.)

Or perhaps he'll go back to E! or something radical like Bravo.

I also wouldn't put it past PC Howie returning to terrestrial radio, now that he's got all that pesky cursing out of his system.

9. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I doubt he would do T.V. When he was on Seinfeld's Coffee video, he had an entourage and special hair personnel. He wouldn't be able to do a tv show, he is too high maintenance, plus, it is way too much work.

10. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    "Will the show be back" will be this year's Hannukah Cliffhanger.

11. guruhugz

guruhugz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard Stern will tell his few listeners that he is finished at Sirius in December. He will wait until near the end of his time there.

Marci has convinced him he can make a fortune as an interviewer on his own podcast. He cannot because he is a boring old fool.

12. tycho1972

tycho1972 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cannot imagine that Howard would do anything to bolster Sirius' subscriptions unless he is signed to a new contract. Howard isn't giving them anything for free. If it doesn't benefit Howard, he won't do it. Think about it. He killed all of the extra content on Howard 101 (while it could be a cost-savings issue, it is more than likely Howard's response to losing the lawsuit).

Moreover, what people would subscribe just for his last few months? The AGT fans, likely, have already signed up if they were going to sign up. The diehard Stern fans are already signed up, presumably, and those that left the show because of its new PC direction (or because it just plain blows), probably have had their fill of Howard. In today's YouTube world, people can just wait until it is leaked for free.

You might be right that he is going to retire. Stern has very little leverage with Sirius. It is possible that they told him they are not going to renew (or, at least, will not renew for the money he wants). He isn't really even bothering to negotiate on-air like he has done with every other contract. Every single contract... it was a daily topic on the show and the Wrap-Up Show.

13. tycho1972

Reputations:
    Agree that he is a high maintenance queen. That being said, he can do a TV show... just did with AGT for the last 4 awful years.

RonHeinzkaboot likes this.
  14. tycho1972

Reputations:
    John Malone, from what I have heard, is a pretty savy businessman. I cannot imagine that he would make the mistake of signing Stern to another ludicrous contract.

15. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i love that at this point in my life I don't give a flying fuck what his next move is :jj:

didn't listen to him on sirius won't listen to whatever comes next

16. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard's not too high maintenance for TV. He's too lazy. He's too out of ideas. He's too boring. He threw away his radio audience and did a hail mary with AGT and failed. He can't command an audience and his product is to lame to generate a buzz in a small audience desirable to advertisers.

No one in radio (terrestrial or internet/podcasting) is going to invest in the hours he wants to work, with the show he's producing now. Sirius is going to low ball him and he's going to take it.

I'm curious what the show will look like in the new contract. I'm sure it will suck worse then ever but will the news team be gone? Sal and Richard? High salaries of Robin, Fred and Robin?

17. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    That's a lot of words, none of which make any sense

18. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    News team? They're already gone. Unless you count Shuli as the team.

FlatTimmy likes this.
  19. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is Turd-boy the last one left. I know Leiberman might have walked but what he the sole member of the news team. Artie should get George Flowers on his podcast.

20. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We already know he's signed a deal with Whalecock that will give him his own "media hub," and that he's aggressively stockpiling videos of his celebrity interviews. And he's said a couple times recently that they're putting together a cartoon of High Pitch and Joey Boots (voiced by an impersonator instead of the real Wack Packers). Obviously, he's planning to charge us for that content at some point.

I say in January he'll have an app with a $5.99 or so monthly subscription rate, and a pay wall at howardstern.com. And he's probably trying to negotiate a huge salary for a re-broadcast of his "media hub" stuff on Sirius, keeping Howard 100 and losing Howard 101.

And my crystal ball says Howard Stern coffee mugs will be for sale in the near future. :grad: