Amazon Prime

ITT We Talk About Guns. What Are Your Favorite CCWs?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by TripTo My Taint, Aug 2, 2012.

1. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been considering it for a while now, but it's time to get a carry permit...shit's getting real in Florida, and life is pretty cheap. It's legal to have a holstered weapon in the glove box without a permit here, but I'm looking for comfortable carry options where you dress for 90+ degree weather one third of the year.

I'm not really thinking of a fucking hand cannon, just something with good stopping power and reasonable weight that is easily concealable. Thoughts?

2. gwartney

gwartney Naturally Autodidactic Gold

Reputations:
    I have a 9mm Smith. It has a short barrel and a small grip. I bought it small so I could conceal it easier. Considering I let my CCW permit lapse several years ago, I wish I'd bought something a little larger that is easier to aim and fire accurately. Small is nice but you only carry about 1% of the time. The rest of the time it's in a drawer or wherever.

3. TripTo My Taint

Reputations:

I'll be carrying more than 1% of the time here, but I understand what you're saying.

This little 5 minute video really helped my accuracy...especially helpful was the trigger advice. It was weird getting used to, but now is the only way I shoot. This fucker knows his shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaAPpbxvzeo

4. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    When I carry in the winter it's either a Sig P-225 or a Beretta 8040 and I opt for a Walther PPK/s or a custom Colt Officers Model in the summer.

5. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    Sometimes I carry a Custom Colt Delta Elite but only because I've got like $3500 in it. :facepalm:

6. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    I've also got carry rigs for my P-226 and P-228 but I never carry them.

When I'm carrying for defense against brown and black bears I carry a Colt King Cobra 2 1/2 .357 or in the fall I 'gun up' and go with a 4" Colt Anaconda.

7. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    I got a shit load of guns.

8. gwartney

gwartney Naturally Autodidactic Gold

Reputations:
    You ever had to fire at one?

9. TripTo My Taint

Reputations:

You're really talking about bears here, right? :jj: To Shiv, this would mean something totally different.

10. TripTo My Taint

Reputations:

Ironic, given your screen name, lol.

11. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, but not with a handgun. I shot a cinnamon black bear 4 or 5 years ago (I had a tag).

I should also add we have a fuckton of cougars and wolves too.
    :chair:

12. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Staff Member

Reputations:
    I carry a Glock 17 9mm since that's my gun issued from the city I work in. I was not a Glock fan before being issued one but I must say that it is a fantastic weapon....and relatively cheap. Very accurate, light weight and reliable (even if it's filthy). Having to have a cannon isn't necessary with current available ammo but I wouldn't go much smaller than 9mm. I'd start with Glock 19 and see if that fits your size criteria and if not look into a Model 26 (still hold 10 rounds I believe). You want to have decent capacity as well since, odds are, under stress you made need an extra round or five.

13. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    GREAT guns but I'm not a huge fan of them for novice gun owners who play on carrying.

14. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    I recommend carrying it in 'condition 3' if a new owner wants to carry a Glock.

15. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Why not?

I'm thinking......simple, trigger safety, if maintenance slides it won't matter, cheap(ish), readily available holsters/accessories.

As far as the maintenance issue it is also true that if someone isn't properly caring for their gun then they probably aren't practicing and therefore shouldn't be carrying. I do know that things happen and a gun that fires, pretty much, no matter what is a bonus.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  16. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    I've seen a lot of guys opt for leather thumb strap holsters that damn near shot themselves holstering. GREAT guns but again I'd recommend condition 3 carry in a Fobus or Glock hard holster.

17. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    I carried a 1st gen Glock 21 in an Askins Avenger and took it to Gunsite and loved it but I'm not exactly a novice.

18. Lemmy

Reputations:
    My personal opinion is that if someone has to carry their firearm in 'condition 3' then they aren't really ready to be carrying. I know the arguments for why it's a good idea (premature trigger pull, if they are disarmed, etc.) but I know that when I need my gun, and I have needed it way more times than I can count, then I need it NOW and the extra time needed to rack in a round may make all of the difference. I suppose my situation is a little different but I'm just offering my perspective.

Seeing that 'condition 3' was funny......I haven't heard that since the academy many years ago. We don't really use that terminology since we just carry how we carry so it isn't really discussed. We carry 'condition 2' BTW on/off duty.

I get that.....it goes back to what I said, strictly IMO, that if someone can't safely holster/unholster then they should probably consider a cell phone with an emergency button instead. Maybe another gun would be a better option but if they are about to shoot themselves with a Glock then I don't know that I'm all that confident that they won't find a way to hurt themselves with anything they carry.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  19. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    :lo5: Those are the exact reason I'm not a fan of novices carrying Glocks. I prefer Sigs but I've often said If I could only own 1 handgun for the rest of my life It'd be a Glock 17.

20. Mack

Mack stirrer of shit VIP

Reputations:
    If I picked an 'ideal' first time carry gun it'd be a S&W 3913.