Jackie Talks About Contract Negotations Breakdown...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Famous, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Famous

Famous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fast forward to the 5:33 mark. That's where the good part starts:

[video=youtube;ozsi9PMdukY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozsi9PMdukY[/video]

Not sure if this is an old clip or new, but it's the first time I've heard it, and it was only uploaded recently.

Lots of good info there, and I think what Jackie says makes perfect sense. "I think that I'm at least 1/25th of the show."

I honestly believe that that's what drove Howard crazy the most. It wasn't the money, it was the fact that Jackie started talking about percentages. Howard doesn't want to think of anyone in anything other than a salaried position. Though Jackie was still only asking for a straight salary (at least as far as I've heard so far...I haven't finished yet), he was coming up with the formula based on a percentage.

$400,000 a year does not seem excessive at all. I'd bet that most head writers on other successful shows get toooons more than that. I know tv shows pay more in general, but I still think that $400k for a top rated radio show that's bringing in tons of revenue, is very fair.

Howard has always played it like Jackie was extraordinarily greedy. He'd also tell people the full 5 year contract figure, to make it sound extremely high.

Remember when Artie had that fight with Sal, he said straight out to Sal that Howard only keeps him around because he'll work for nothing. Everyone knows how Howard is.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. Famous

Famous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Also, Artie hinted for years that he'd like a raise, and it's clear that Howard didn't budge. I believe that that was a large part of Artie's issues, and also part of Howard's resentment.

3. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations:
    no what drove howard crazy the most was the money its genetic

4. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    we all know that working for howard is an honor... and should be done for free

5. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations:
    I always love how Robin would get so pissed at Jackie for daring to ask for more money she's such a suck ass

how dare HE!

and then in her mind it's like she was involved in the negotiations herself ugggh

6. Famous

Famous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I also find it interesting that he says that Tom told him he had to talk to Don Buckwald after talking to Tom.

Don was never Jackie's agent, but he's Howard's agent. Clearly destroys all the bs about Howard not being the one to decide.

Wonder how it all would have went if Jackie had an actual agent working for him.

7. Famous

Famous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fred also has tremendous resentment of Jackie. It's like people want others to want the worst for themselves, just because they're content with getting shat on.

8. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations:

yea he was pissed Jackie took the title head writer

meantime since Jackie left the amount of written material has gone

[​IMG]

9. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Jackie deserved whatever money he wanted imo. He was the gears for years on that show. And since he left the funny went with him. Artie was a tragic figure who couldn't take the ball busting Jackie ever took (He lost his shit every time someone goofed on his sister. Even wishing Sal's kids AIDs for Christ Sake). Jackie and his wife took real abuse. Not to mention the Jackie Puppet which Billy used which Jackie wrote the lines for.

Now in the case of Howard's loyal dogs Fred & Gary. The fact that can't retire yet speaks volumes of Stern's generosity . . .

10. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Howard promoted an Intern to Head Writer. Can you believe that shit. I mean come on. Ask yourself why. Because Wiggy can pay him "N****r Wages" compared to Jackie. And look where that's left us now. Not to mention he's part of the "Tribe" as well . . .

11. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    you get what you pay for

12. smackyou

smackyou New Member

Reputations:
    Yawn

13. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    Good for Jackie, he deserved every dime he scratched and clawed from those fuckers. He dumped his dumb wife, got sober and sounds like he's got some serenity and peace in his life. Well done, Jokeman.

14. YokoOhNo

YokoOhNo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    howie didn't think jackie should have got any of the syndication money...jackie didn't want to rework his existing contract. he was a pro

15. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    When did Booey,Fred,Robin, and Jackie each find out that Howard Allan Stern paid their salary?
    Jackie was the only guy fighting for a raise. The others just took what Stern paid them. Jackie got those idiots more money.

16. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    People might hate the Jokeman. But the show was light years better when he was around.

17. beaverbucks

beaverbucks New Member

Reputations:
    What kind of issues are you speaking of? He was an addict long before Stern.

18. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Why should a person work without a contract, especially if that's the nature of his employment? And the first item on your list, about what Howard was really upset about it, is horseshit. It's a convenient red herring to distract attention away from what was a basic salary dispute. If Howard didn't want Jackie to stay away, he could've easily found a way to bring Jackie back to the bargaining table, but he didn't want to, or he didn't think Jackie was worth it or whatever.

Jackie held out and management failed to resolve the problem and ultimately, the show suffered for it. They hired two people (Artie and Benjy) to take his place. Surely, whatever small percentage-increase Jackie wanted was less than that.

this is true of most companies. Rather than giving someone a raise that's worth their contributions, they nickle-and-dime them into quitting and then hire two people to replace him.

19. prefect

prefect New Member VIP

Reputations:
    And every time Jackie would ask for more money, Howard would bitch that without him, Jackie would be working strip clubs in South Carolina. :(

It was such a great show, and a fucking shame that Howard couldn't manage to hold things together.

20. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Since KROCK...since Don Buchwald....
    Howard Allan Stern pays ALL salaries on HIS shows!
    Stern is a greedy lazy serial liar.
    Thanks to AGT he is now Americas Asshole!