Jay Leno on Sixty Minutes Sunday "It was not my decision to leave"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Jan 24, 2014.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard will probably hold a Jay Leno is gone party on Feb 17th. If I was Jay I would go over to Fox and compete directly with Fallon.

Jay Leno
    is handing over "The Tonight Show" torch to Jimmy Fallon on February 17th, something he has come to terms with but is acknowledging for the first time that it was not his decision to exit.

The 63-year-old is breaking his silence in an interview with "60 Minutes" airing this Sunday about NBC's decision to have Jimmy Fallon host the late-night show.
    "It's not my decision," he revealed. "I think I probably would have stayed if we didn't have an extremely qualified young guy ready to jump in."
    Still, he still doesn't seem to have any hard feelings for his successor. "I probably would have stayed a little longer, but we have a very talented, very good, I think he's more like a young Johnny than anybody since," he said. "So you go with the new guy; makes perfect senseto me."
    The car enthusiast may not be bent out of shape about leaving this time around, but he didn't seem to feel the same about what happened in 2009, when NBC decided to replace him with Conan O'Brien. The comedian admitted that he felt blindsided, and he compared it to feeling a lot like a breakup.
    "I was blindsided. ... [NBC executives said] 'You're out...' and I went 'OK,'" he said, about the first time he learned Conan would be taking over. "You know, you have a girl [who] says, 'I don't want to see you anymore.' Why? You know, she doesn't want to see you anymore, OK?"
    Check out this video to hear what else the late-night host revealed about handing over the mike to Jimmy Fallon, and tune in to "The Insider" tonight for the latest in entertainment news.

2. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    unlike Wiggy, Jay could do some decent damage if he went to a competitor.

3. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i want to see jimmy fallon fail.

although i don't think i've watched the tonight show more than a few times, jay seems like a very cool guy and during the 2012 campaign, he was an equal opportunity critic whereas i was told that letterman had a romney joke every f--king night.
    and my new standard is if howard hates someone, chances are i should like him/her.

4. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Jay will be back on the Tonight Show before the end of this year.

5. Nantrax

Nantrax Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Exactly

Jay likes to play the "nice guy" card but we all saw what he did to Conan. He will try to come back or will get a talk show on another network to ruin NBC. Jay is not going away quietly.

6. Hamptons

Hamptons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jay should go to TBS and kick Conan out again

7. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    I don't think Leno is remotely done with TV. Does he get a bunch of dough for staying off of TV for a few years, or is he free to look to do another show elsewhere right away?

8. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Ehhh I don't really see it as Jay stabbing Conan in the back. Jay was told he's out, of course to be professional you're going to leave like a gentlemen and say "this guy will do great in my spot." Jay didn't want to leave and still doesn't. NBC is to blame because they're the boss. NBC could replace Leno every year with someone else and Leno would keep coming back. For whatever reason he loves NBC. This time he should go to another network in the same time slot and take the number 1 spot again.
    :haha:
    I think I read somewhere he can't go anywhere for a few months.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  9. Bosh

Bosh New Member

Reputations:
    Craig Ferguson >>> the rest

only natural talent, not 100% scripted or pre interviews

10. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here we go again

11. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    are you fucken high? conan & his peeps gave nbc an ultimatum that they wanted the show by a certain date. leno was on top so the suits said 5yrs? hoping leno would tank by then...when the time period came leno was still on top & the suits were scrambling for their jobs & gave leno the earlier time slot...leno was completely blindsided by that unfunny doofus & he was on top the entire time. anyone that says leno fucked conan is a complete fucking moron.

12. stripes

Reputations:
    imus & crew were talking about falon today & how talented he is doing skits, voices, musical numbers etc but as i have always felt, they said he is too uncomfortable with guests & just kisses their asses & its terrible to watch. i cant take two minutes of his fawning childish interviews, goddam he sucks. he's almost as bad as that idiot arsenio, oh, i loved that commercial you were in...omfg:facepalm:

13. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fallon sucks donkey balls. When he fails miserably, it will give Comcast the excuse to purge NBC's upper management. Execs at HBO, Showtime, AMC, etc must be salivating at the pending opportunities.

14. RebelRobert

RebelRobert Member

Reputations:
    Howard Stern is behind this whole thing. Howard didn't want to be the one to replace Leno so he got NBC to give the job to Jimmy Fallon who also agreed to move the Tonight Show to New York City. Now that the show is in New York, Fallon will be pushed out just around the time that Stern's contract with Sirius is up.

Stern will host The Tonight Show. In New York. It is already a done deal.

15. stripes

Reputations:
    i knew this was tied to stern somehow

16. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    When I was a kid Carson seemed a zillion years old and I would videotape Letterman every night.

I wonder if it's the same type of thing now. Leno is no. 1, but with what demographic? Is it who they want watching? (In either case, Fallon as a solution is absurd.)

17. stripes

Reputations:
    kids don't watch that shit anymore & the numbers are so low, even leno. but its real cheap to produce so its a moneymaker.

18. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Yeah I never understood the Fallon thing. Even on SNL he was horrible. They're using Fallon to try to get the young viewers for the Tonight Show, it's just not going to work. Fallon just isn't the guy. Older people watch the Tonight Show and like seeing Leno. Bouncing around and dancing Conan doesn't work for that crowd, and neither will the nervous guy sounding insecure with a laptop on his desk.

19. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    You're right. I forget how times have changed. My teen niece basically just references online / YouTube stuff.

20. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    Did Arsenio get cancelled yet? I caught a few episodes and thought I was in a fucking time warp back to 1991. Even the set looked over 20 years old, I've seen more production value out of a public access show.