Jay Leno possible retirement and Jimmy Fallon bidding war

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [h=2]You've got to be kidding me. Some clown executive is going to pay Jimmy $15 million or more a year.

With Jimmy Kimmel attracting younger viewers, Jimmy Fallon seems a logical choice to move into the coveted 11:35 time slot in 2014.[/h] Is NBC preparing to announce Jay Leno's departure from The Tonight Show?
    The network says categorically no, but two high-level industry sources tell The Hollywood Reporter [6]that NBC is moving toward a May announcement that the 2013-14 television season will be the last for Leno as host of the long-running late-night show. Sources expect the network to move Jimmy Fallon from his Late Night spot into the coveted 11:35 time slot with a soft launch during the summer of 2014 before a formal fall kickoff.
    A Leno rep says, "We do not speculate on rumor." Whether the network finally executes the Tonight transition plan remains to be seen. Anyone with even a passing sense of Leno’s personality knows that the hardworking comic would be reluctant to leave his perch, especially before his rival at CBS, David Letterman, announces his retirement. Leno and Letterman are both signed through 2014.

Sources believe the network will bring in Fallon partly out of concern about the competition on ABC, which moved younger-skewing Jimmy Kimmel to the 11:35 time slot in January. “The more time Jimmy Kimmel is in that slot, the more the young audience goes that way, the harder it is for Jimmy [Fallon] to keep that audience,†says a source familiar with the network’s thinking.
    Leno's Tonight still performs well for NBC, regularly besting his late-night rivals. But Kimmel is competitive in the 18-49 demo. "Kimmel has done extremely well," a network veteran says, adding that he is unaware of any contemplated Leno move. "Jay wins overall, but on any given night, it's neck-and-neck in 18-49. I understand where they might have fear and also feel that they own the solution [in Fallon.]"
    Comcast, which owns NBC, in August imposed layoffs at Tonight. At the time, Leno took a big pay-cut from his reported $30 million salary.

NBC could also be concerned that if Letterman does retire in 2014, CBS would be looking for a replacement, potentially opening the door to a bare-knuckles battle for Fallon that could mirror a previous tussle involving Conan O’Brien. In 2004, then-NBC head Jeff Zucker promised the then-Late Night host he would inherit The Tonight Show in 2009 as part of his deal to re-up with the network. But when NBC installed O'Brien at Tonight and moved Leno to 10 p.m., the strategy backfired, leading to an embarrassing feud and a costly 2010 settlement with O'Brien, who now hosts a show on TBS.
    If NBC elects to announce the Leno-Fallon transition at or before the May upfronts, one observer adds, the network would “get the benefit of selling Jay’s last year -- again.â€

2. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Good for Jimmy.

At least he's entertaining. I can't remember the last time I've laughed at anything either Leno or Letterman have said.

3. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    I do know this, Leno and Letterman will go out at the same time. It's a pissing contest. Whoever decides to retire first the other one will quickly follow. I wonder if Fox will jump back into the fray

4. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Meanwhile, doesn't Nightline regularly trounce both their asses in ratings? :dontknow:

5. koabz

koabz New Member

Reputations:
    Conan must wanna hang himself after reading that? After all the bs he went thru, Fallon gets "the tonight show" after only 4 years. Fallon strikes me as the guy who has had a charmed life. He lost his virginity at 11. Just born lucky a real winner..............

6. koabz

koabz New Member

Reputations:
    In alot of ways Leno did nothing wrong. Leno only responsibility is to himself and his family. I love Conan's show on Nbc, but I haven't watched him on Tbs. I admit its fucked up but you gotta do what you go do. Fucking Fallon is one blessed guy. I bet he doesn't get angry about anything,(so he would like us to believe, he might be a monster behind the scenes..)....

7. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

For Leno family = cars

8. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    Letterman's been doing the same tired act for 20 years, which coincidentally is the last time I laughed

9. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Since being pushed back to 12:35 behind Kimmel, Nightline & Fallon are about even at a little under 2 million viewers. Obviously Fallon skews younger and has the more valuable demo for advertisers. Kimmel does around 2.5 million on average and Letterman/Leno both get 3-3.5 million.

10. Mike

Mike 'Merica Gold

Reputations:
    Not this shit again :facepalm:

11. RumBalls

RumBalls The original RumBalls, est. Jan 16, 2012

Reputations:
    I think all these late night shows sort of suck. I find Fallon particularly awful

12. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    I find Fallon the to be one of the least funny people on TV.

13. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    Howard could get a late night gig after Leno and Letterman retire. It would coincide with the end of Sirius contract. It's an easy job, 4 hours a week from New York with a 5:30 or 6:30pm taping. He's a decent interviewer and doesn't fawn over guests. He can do a clean interview. He wouldn't get the 11:30 slot but there would be definite openings at 12:30. The problem I see is his ego won't allow him to take a job that only pays $8-10 million a year. He is not going to straight retirement in his early sixties. He could just stay on AGT but he hates traveling to other cities. The really big money is hosting and having a piece of a syndicated game show. The next best thing would be a network game show or talent show.

14. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    Few problems with that. The first is that Howard is NOT funny. Secondly, I think his interviewing skills are overrated. He uses the same question list with every guest and it hasn't evolved over the years. He put almost no effort into prep. Last, it's easy to get worked up for a 5-10 minute segment once a year but I don't see him managing a full week worth.

15. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    100x this. He's just not naturally funny. At all.

I watched his show only once... when Wiggard was on. And I don't think I cracked a single laugh. So bad. Would never watch him again... no matter who he had on.

16. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The only thing Howard had going for him was his large loyal fanbase that could make any project a ratings success. Now that AGT has exposed the fact that his fanbase is gone, no one will be looking to hire him. If he wants to continue past his Sirius contract he'll have to finance it himself and we all know that's not going to happen.

17. Teeney

Teeney My friends call me Lissette Gold

Reputations:
    It will interesting to see which Jimmy Howard sides with. If Fallon gets the gig and starts getting good ratings I have a feeling that Howard will start becoming more vocal with the Kimmell is stealing my material nonsense.

Another friendship that may bite the dust.

18. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howards interviews would be hilarious (unintentionally). Imagine when Obama is a guest:

Salam Alaikum, Brother. I grew up in a black community.
    How big is you cock?
    Done a tree some?
    Dose Michelle bring home chicks to you?
    Ever done drugs?
    How much money?
    Done anal?
    Fucked any interns?

Howard have to be one of the worst interviewers. He never listens to what the person says and misses tons of interesting stuff. Howard is prepped by the shittiest team that only look at "who dated who" "celebrity net worth" and wikipedia for sources.

A good bit would be to have Howard interview himself...

19. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Wonder if they'll move Fallon to LA if this is true.

I do like the game show type segments he plays with his guests, but other than that he's pretty bad. Especially with all the fake laughing.

20. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ditto. He's just not that funny..STOP LAUGHING AT YOURSELF FALLON..