Jay leno takes massive pay cut to save his employees jobs

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by booybob, Aug 18, 2012.

1. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    To save the jobs of as many people as he can that work on his show.
    Do you think Wiggy would even think of doing something like this or would he just say "FUCK THEM"??

[h=1]‘The Tonight Show’ Lays Off 20 Staffers And Host Jay Leno Takes Pay Cut To Save Jobs[/h] By NIKKI FINKE | Friday August 17, 2012 @ 8:45pm PDTTags:

BREAKING… EXCLUSIVE: NBC insiders tell me The Tonight Show went through â€downsizing†today and that 20 staffers lost their jobs. Others tell me the number is more like 25, and producers were forced to take pay cuts or lose their jobs. I’ve also learned that Jay Leno took what is being described as a “tremendous†pay cut to “save as many people’s jobs as he couldâ€. Leno’s Tonight Show is consistently the #1 late night talk show in both households and demographics, except for some anomalies when Leno does get beaten. And that’s despite the fact that the network’s primetime ratings have been dismal for many years or that Leno himself was harshly criticized by the media for that January 2010 standoff with Conan O’Brien. Even so, The Tonight Show has been and still is a cash cow for NBC. So what happened to merit the downsizing? “I don’t think ad sales are off. I just think the people who bought this company, Comcast, wants to go through everything at NBC and get their money back,†an NBC insider tells me. â€It’s hard to go through those kinds of cuts. It’s more a network issue than a late-night issue. And I would say that Jay doesn’t get credit for digging out of a gigantic hole every single night. He’s a very valuable guy to NBC and someday everyone will understand that. He does a great job.â€

Leno has said publicly that he’s able to bank his entire Tonight Show salary and live on the hefty fees he makes from his hectic personal appearance schedule. Leno’s new salary is reportedly $27M-$30 million a year. He reportedly brings home another $15M-$20M a year from his other gigs. Leno replaced Johnny Carson as host of The Tonight Show in 1992 after having been a regular substitute host since 1987. He “officially†ended hosting of The Tonight Show in 2009 when Conan O’Brien started on June 1st. Leno was going to be paid for all of 2009 by NBC even though he was only working six months of it. When his ratings dipped, O’Brien was asked to move The Tonight Show‘s time slot later to make room for Leno’s return at 11:30 PM. O’Brien refused. NBC gave Conan a $40M payoff (including salaries for his staff) to leave The Tonight Show hosting job which Leno resumed in 2010.

2. Skeebosh

Skeebosh Active Member

Reputations:
    I think wiggy might save at least some of his people.

3. LobsterTails

LobsterTails Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Are you crazy? If Howie gave one shit about his employees he wouldn't have banked 500 million for 5 years while still laughing at JD (who he says he looks on as a son) for earning peanuts and having to live in a shit area where he kept getting mugged.

Marble collection comes first, everything else second.

4. Tish

Tish Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw this yesterday. He took a pay cut to help his staff. Jay is so evil....Not...I can't believe how I bought Howard's shit for so long. I still hate Jays show...too milquetoast for me. However Howard is way worst then Jay. I was so scammed. I truly believed everything Howard said. Now I am on to him. Yep, been scammed.

5. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Just saw this. It's on the cnn.com home page.

I wonder if Stuttering John was one of those "staffers" who got cut.

I'd also wonder if Jay Leno is hoping some type of union would come to his aid. The Corporatocracy strikes AGAIN! The star of the show gets his pay cut while the hogs at the top lose nothing!!!

6. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard took a pay cut...

... People disappeared (including robin)

7. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard banked 900 million during the first 5 year contract.
    Howard's out in this is like this: THSS have a show budget payed by Sirius. Robin/Fred/Benjy/Gary/(Artie) had talent contracts directly with SiriusXM and are well payed. JD have to negotiate his salary with Tim. So Howard can say: its Tim's fault and Sirius that don't provide a bigger show budget.

8. username

Reputations:
    Howard dont pay anyone. He have nothing to do with people's salary. Especially not talent that have SiriusXM talent contracts. They are payed directly by Sirius. This is what Howard have ranted about the last weeks. When Artie's contract was not renewed, Sirius "pocketed" that money. (in the real world, Howard did not ask for a replacement).
    If Robin quits, its the same scenario. Sirius pockets the money.

If a not "star" talent quit, the money goes back to the "show budget". This budget Howard controls (but its not Howard's money, he cant pocket any of it).

9. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    JD lives in a rat-infested tenement. To think that his excellent college education goes to waste while he helps the Wigster make a million dollars per show.

10. username

Reputations:
    I wonder if Leno's publicist have floated this story?

But Leno have always had a more healthy view on money then Howard. Howard have often ranted how stupid Jay is for not asking for more money. Howard can't understand that other people can feel that they make enough money. For Howard it can never be enough until every shekel is his. 5000 years of in breading is not good for the mental health of a person. That is why this sickness is shared by many others in the tribe.

11. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard would never do this. He would bitch and moan but would never give any of his money to anyone.

12. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Yep. He would rather see the show ended than give that type of concession, and I kind of agree with that position. You never hear of executives taking any kind of hit. It's always everyone else.

I'd say "fuck 'em," and let the whole thing crash and burn. If you take a strong enough stand, sometimes management will back down. And if they don't? The place probably would've gone down anyway.

13. JDDaBadAhz

JDDaBadAhz Active Member

Reputations:
    Howard would offer all of them a one hour photo shoot.

14. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Are we really asking whether Howard would save anyone if his marbles were threatened? This is the same guy that literally made people disappear from the show when they had the nerve to ask for a more realistic form of compensation or in some other way threatened Howard's marbles.. Cabbie, kc, crackhead bob, Daniel carver, stuttering John, hillbilly jack, Jackie, Artie.... And the list goes on... And on...

15. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Jay's the same down to earth, well adjusted, good guy he's always been long before Howie started spooning out the haterade.

16. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Tell that to Helen Kushnick's surviving relatives. :jj:

17. sfsn kali

sfsn kali Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    1) leno doesn't live on his salary. this is hardly a sacrifice for him. don't get me wrong. it's very nice, but he ain't gonna starve.

2) if he didn't do something like this people would be calling him a giant douche.

18. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So leno had to sell 1 of his 1 million cars? WGAS WGAF!!! i GIVE THIS THREAD 1 CHIN

19. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He may not pay the talent directly, but I don't see why Howard couldn't thro JD an extra 10k a year so he could move out of the coney island ghetto

20. bucketbuddy

bucketbuddy New Member

Reputations:
    you could use a good education, to help with your ignorance and whatnot :secret: