Jeez, I'm tired of the Wigs "rock is dead" talk

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by FishySausage, Jun 18, 2014.

1. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Music will never be what you remember, old man.
    But ROCK IS NOT DEAD. Post a vid to prove him wrong

[video=youtube;zEVg9niMXPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEVg9niMXPQ&list=PLTfNCIk8uLZTZShaSh_VdlvAZxJa-Q1BE&index=7[/video]

2. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Rock as a popular music form is pretty much dead. There are some great rock bands out there, but rock for the most part is not mainstream. Kids today listen to hip hop/rap and if they listen to rock, it is classic rock.

Name the last major rock album or new rock group. The only rock acts who break into the mainstream for the most part are older acts like Foo Fighters, U2, and Green Day.

Howard is wrong that rock is dead, but he is right that rock is becoming more of a niche form of music. And I never agree with him anymore.

3. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Kings of Leon started out strong as a raw rock band, but the douchebag lead singer started sucking his own cock and they tanked.

Now pop rock not too far behind Train.

4. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:

[video=youtube;dd24vvq_H8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd24vvq_H8Q[/video]

5. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    That chick that wrote diamonds , Howard discovered her , after the NY times article , great find faggot

6. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm tired of Howard's "there is nowhere to hear live music anymore, we are bringing it back" bullshit.

There are more outlets to hear or watch live events now then there ever was.

7. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

The dealer gave me a new loaner car to take home today while they worked on my car. I had no discs or the i-pod hook up, so I tried to listen to the radio.

[​IMG]

Every single station played absolute ((((SHIT)))) Not just rock is dead, all forms of music are dead! Is this what kids today are listening to? :grouch:

8. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;BQHZ7nvBSLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQHZ7nvBSLY[/video]

I must admit, when I find a "new artist"I like, it just means it's someone from the 70's I hadn't heard yet.

[video=youtube;1ICvDjXjf6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ICvDjXjf6c[/video]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  9. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Enough young bands with their own style out there. You just gotta look for 'em. I saw these three not too long ago, and each of them put on a fantastic live performance.

Sure, they're not Led Zeppelin or Hendrix, but that was a one time thing.

[video=youtube;FSZzZSJuLSA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZzZSJuLSA[/video]

[video=youtube;a4UYwL4owEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4UYwL4owEs[/video]

[video=youtube;caLsegdOs6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caLsegdOs6Q[/video]

10. blckknight60

blckknight60 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the sword arent a black sabbath cover band?

11. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    yeah lets bring back tight pants, long hair, make up and high screams....No homo

12. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    I agree that rock is pretty much dead as far as being mainstream. Listen to the horseshit that is on top 40 radio or look at the Billboard charts. Pure bullshit. The charts always had their share of pop pablum, but there was always a rock presence. Casey Kasem's death sent me to youtube to watch old America's Top Ten episodes and the charts from 80, 81, 82- through the 80s all had a rock presence. Now every sonng is this fake RnB/rap, autotuned bullshit. Every song is by Fuckity Fuck (featuring Kwanee$ha)....

I wait for the old bands that are still around to put out a new album occasionally, otherwise I listen to classic rock/metal. People will always say "there's new stuff out there, you just have to look for it." Yeah, that's exactly why rock is dead. If it were alive as a genre, people wouldn't need to search it out. When I have, I never find anything worth wasting my time and money on.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  13. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    Screw rock...music is dead.

All of this crap is regurgitated from somewhere else...barely anything original going on in the mainstream.

14. FishySausage

Reputations:
    How dare you! :nocheer:

15. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    It's different tastes. The demographics of the people buying music as well. Kids today download only a song to their phone. They don't know about the joy of putting on a classic album and letting it play out from beginning to end. Since the end of the 60s, the good rock bands believed in putting out whole albums (along with singles). Record companies don't want to push that anymore, because it won't sell. They want artists who concentrate on hit singles. My generation still buys albums. Whenever you get an album from one of the old classic bands, it will chart high the first week of release, and then drop considerably the second, because we crave what little rock we can get, and we have the $, so we grab it up as soon as it hits the stores.

Really, for rock bands, the live show is where they make their money now. Those tours rake in the cash because the older fans have the money and we wait for the big tours. Not to mention, those acts are built on playing live, and they know how to do it.

16. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    This is Howard's kind of music.

[video=youtube;kGqiHAxKJ4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqiHAxKJ4E[/video]

[​IMG]

17. FishySausage

Reputations:
    Yes, rock as a MAINSTREAM genre may have decreased quite a bit. But I think "dead" is much too strong a word.
    The music biz in general has just changed so much. Album sales aren't close to what they once were.
    But all this shit is cyclical. Don't count out live guitar heavy rock just yet. I smell a resurgence.
    Oh and the Black Keys had like a half dozen songs in commercials. What the hell's more mainstream than that?
    I just think Howard sounds like such a bitter codger when he starts with all his "rock is dead" talk.
    My opinion :dontknow:

18. baby booie

baby booie Active Member

Reputations:
    I know for a fact that a lot of the kids today are into classic rock, it always stuns me when someone keeps on discovering Led Zeppelin 1

19. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    that's what I thought it was too

20. AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Queens of the Stone Age are one of my favorite rock bands, but its such a bummer that they don't get the credit they (especially lead singer/songwriter/producer Josh Homme) deserve.

If they came out in the 70's-80's they would be revered as Gods.

Today?

If they can get 10,000 people at one of their shows its an achievement.