Jerrod Carmichael: Love at the Store

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by porker159, Oct 20, 2014.

1. porker159

porker159 Member

Reputations:
    It premiered on HBO earlier this month. Did anyone else watch it? As someone who has watched probably 100 stand up specials, I thought it was legendary. His POV is definitely contrarian, and at times you might feel like he's being provocative for its own sake, but I thought his observations and analysis were both brilliant and extremely unique. A lot of comedians call themselves "brutally honest," but I think he fits that description better than anyone else I've ever seen.

Although, I'll note that while most of the critic reviews were very positive, a lot of people have said they thought it was disappointing. Some people even said it was "amateurish"... which kind of blew my mind. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

You can watch it on HBO Go or download it for free online.

2. Gwarn1

Gwarn1 Worlds poorest sugar daddy VIP

Reputations:
    Ill give it a whirl. The artie special was putrid

3. porker159

porker159 Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, the reason why radio is so good is because it's completely organic. Nothing is forced, it's just people hanging out trying to funny. That's where Artie shined. When he gets on stage, he goes into more of a contrived character, panders a bit too much, and loses the authenticity of an organic joke. I think Carmichael is one of the most "conversational" stand ups I've ever seen. He loses polish, but you can definitely feel that he's in the moment.