Jerry Lee Lewis Claims He Was King Of Rock N Roll..Elvis Was A Hick…Finally Finds Love With 7th Wife

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by teehee, Aug 9, 2015.

1. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    'Elvis? He was a hillbilly!' Jerry Lee Lewis claims HE was the real king of rock n' roll - but at 79 has finally settled down with his SEVENTH wife
    • Lewis, about to embark on his last overseas tour, spoke of his legacy
    • Compared Elvis music to a hillbilly's and said he was ahead of his time
    • Recalled setting Chuck Berry's stage on fire and meeting 'shaking' Elton John
    • Said his hellraising days are well behind him and that he's happy with Judith - wife number seven
    • His third marriage, to Myra Lewis, shocked the world when it emerged they married when she was 13 - and was his cousin

Rock n' roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis has revealed that he thinks Elvis Presley is a 'hillbilly', and he is the true king of rock n' roll rather than his longtime rival.

The singer and piano-player, 79, asserted that Presley's music cannot be compared to his and that he, by contrast, was 'way ahead of his time'.

In a long interview with the Guardian ahead of his final overseas tour, Lewis vigorously defended his legacy, and said that he has now found happiness and tranquility with his seventh wife - a contrast to his raucous past.

[​IMG]

Still got it: Jerry Lee Lewis, 79, is pictured right at an event in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame with his seventh wife Judith

[​IMG]

Old rival: Lewis addressed his relationship with Elvis Presley - with whom he was part of the Million Dollar Quartet, who are shown recording above. Left to right are Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis and Johnny Cash

Lewis, whose hits include Great Balls of Fire and Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On, also revealed his rivalries and friendships with other music luminaries, including Chuck Berry, the King, John Lennon and Elton John.

When asked whether he was 'the best' of his generation, he said: 'I knew that, yeah.' Asked for musical heroes in his youth, his only answer was 'me'.:rolleyes:

'Rock’n’roll, blues, boogie woogie, you can look at BB King, look at Elvis Presley, you can look at the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, but when it comes down to it, it’s Jerry Lee Lewis.

'His music is definitely way ahead of its time.'

On Elvis specifically, he argued that they belong to different genres. Lewis said: 'Elvis was more rockabilly. Not rock’n’roll. Rockabilly – which is close to hillbilly.'

Lewis, who will turn 80 this month and lives in Nesbit, Tennessee, toured and performed with many of the most famous musicians of the '50s, '60s and '70s - many of whom he has outlived.

[​IMG]

Raucous: Lewis was famous for his energetic performances - he is pictured above in Manhattan in 1958 on top of his piano

[​IMG]

Famous friends: Lewis spoke about his meetings with other musical luminaries. He is pictured above with Rolling Stone Keith Richards

He was one of the so-called Million Dollar Quartet, along with Elvis, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash, who recorded a famed jam session at the Sun Record Studios, Memphis, in 1956.

Lewis recounted his rivalries with those he shared the stage with, including Chuck Berry.

[​IMG]

Honored: Lewis is pictured above at the Hollywood Walk of Fame after being given a star in 1989

When Lewis found himself touring with Berry in a set-up, their managers arranged for them to alternate which would close the show each night.

But rather than accept playing second fiddle, the interview recounts, Lewis instead doused his piano in lighter fluid, set it on fire and told Berry 'follow that, boy' as he walked off the stage.

More recently he recounts being treated with almost religious reverence by musical icons who followed him.

First was John Lennon, who kissed his feet when they met,:eek: then Elton John, Lewis's manager said 'was shaking' with reverence at a meeting in New Orleans.:rolleyes:

Lewis also addressed his controversial personal life, which has seen him married seven times - sometimes without divorcing the old wife first.:eek:

His career collapsed when Britain recoiled in horror at the revelation that his wife Myra was just 13 years old - and his first cousin - when the 22-year-old Lewis made his first visit to the United Kingdom.

The knock damaged his career, and sent him careening into several more relationships, some of which ended in allegations of violence.

However, Lewis now vows that his seventh wife Judith, the ex-wife of teen bride Myra's brother, is the one for him.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He said: 'I got my old girl here.:eek: She’s the best of them. Better than all of ’em put together.':rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lewis earlier described her as 'the one I've been lookin' for all the time.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In conclusion, he said: 'I done pretty well. I got myself a fine place here. I’m happy now. That’s all I know.'

[​IMG]

Controversy: Lewis's career divebombed when the British press recoiled in horror after realizing his wife Myra was his first cousin - and just 13:eek::eek: years old. Lewis, 22 at the time, is pictured above

2. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Thats a Chick Baby……Loss of testosterone = yikes!!

3. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Before it got out that he was an incestuous pedophile........He was bigger than Elvis........

4. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    most talented musician ever

bobp likes this.
  5. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    JLL's problem is that he is an asshole. It's hard to be #1 when you have to keep telling people that you are #1.
    And when was his last hit record?
    He and Chuck Berry should get in the ring and decide once and for all who's the biggest shithead in music.

6. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

That's a nice Lesbian couple.

7. DogStar69

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I thought Johnny Cash was John Lennon.

8. goldtopper

Reputations:
    Looks like a photoshoot from a Subaru ad.

Wiggy and DogStar69 like this.
  9. DogStar69

Reputations:
    That's not a Buick. :derp:

10. DogStar69

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Jerry Liberace Lewis.

ravenrules, DiamondGoddess and stash like this.
  11. kingdemetre

kingdemetre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

boy, that is some quartet. damn!!!!

Caffeinated and DiamondGoddess like this.
  12. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    One thing I will say about "The Killer" He has covered a bunch of tunes......And they were way better than the first.........

bobp, DiamondGoddess and Slow like this.
  13. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil :grad:

14. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    a musician friend of mine played with berry. apparently chuck doesnt want to pay a band to tour with him, so he gets local musicians in each city for minimum wage.
    which makes the product much worse, but who cares he makes more money (see howard)
    anyways he said chuck is the biggest A hole he ever met in his life, and that every single person who worked that show declined the offer for the next year.

15. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    thought he died 20 years ago

he wins

16. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Jerry Lee always thought the rest of the world was shit, and he always said so. This is nothing new.

The only question i have is, how is he related to his 7th wife? cousin? sister? cousin's kids?

17. Vagineer

Vagineer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  18. goldtopper

Reputations:
    Mine too!
    His whole band got the call. Bob plays keyboards. He was given a song list and told Chuck's cues- raising a leg to end, etc. Chuck showed up with his guitar, acted like a queen and was a total dick to the band, who were thinking this was going to be the biggest night of their lives.
    Well, the show starts and the Queen refused to even tell them the keys he was doing the songs in. Everything was a guessing game first two bars in; fortunately Bob knew enough Chuck to know many of his songs were in Bb- mostly because they are easier horn/piano keys and were written by Johnny Johnson, his pianist, with assistance of the horn section. That night with no horns, Chuck moved them a half step up to A (easier for guitar) so they still had to scramble, with Chuck giving them death stares if they weren't right on.
    Yeah, now that I think about it, Chuck's a way bigger dick than JLL.

19. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    somehow elvis gets a free pass for banging a 14 year old and making her his wife....

[​IMG]

I loved the end of the movie great balls of fire with the final text reading "somewhere jll is playing his heart out as we speak" .say what you want about this old bag of bones but he can still get er done.

this is 2015, bout to turn fuckin 80. fat fuckin slob elvis couldn't get through a tune at the end at 40

20. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    maybe if Elvis had spent his life raping children and marrying his relatives, he would be alive today too?

DiamondGoddess likes this.