News Jesse Jackson organizes protest to shut down Michigan Avenue on black Friday

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Nov 26, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Jesse-Jackson-G-620x404.jpeg

Rev. Jesse Jackson organized a "major" demonstration on Black Friday, calling for protesters to march up Michigan Avenue in response to the release of the dash-cam video showing the fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald by a Chicago police officer.

The demonstration is scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday. It will begin at Michigan and Wacker and proceed up to Water Tower Place.

The purpose of the Black Friday protest is to bring the attention of the world to Chicago and to call for change via "mass demonstrations" and voter registration. Jackson said 450 shootings have taken place in Chicago this year, which he believes should have gained the same media attention as the terror attacks in Paris and Beirut and on the Russian airliner that crashed in Egypt.

"It's not enough to focus on what brought us here today, the execution of this young man (Laquan McDonald)," Jackson said. "That takes the scab off a deeper sore, a deeper cancer. So we want mass demonstrations, mass voter registration."

Jackson headed a press conference Wednesday, a day after Officer Jason Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder for shooting McDonald to death. The video tape showing the incident was also released to the public the same day. During the conference, Jackson asked for an investigation into the video and the timing of its release.

"We want a firm investigation on the suppression of the tapes," Jackson said. "The suppression of the tapes was manipulated for someone's advantage at the expense of others."

Footage from the dash-cam video was released more than a year after the October 2014 shooting. Several officials, including Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy and Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez, faced harsh criticism for the timing of the video's release, and some residents and activists called for the resignation of all three of them this week. Jackson also called for a new police superintendent and a "new infrastructure."

Alvarez defended herself and Emanuel on Tuesday after first-degree murder charges were filed against Van Dyke, saying the mayor's plea last week to keep the video away from the public eye "was in the best interest of the investigation." Alvarez added that the reason it took 13 months to charge Van Dyke is because investigations into police shootings and misconduct are "massive and labor intensive."

Minutes before the video was released, Emanuel said he hadn't seen it yet and was waiting until the rest of the city could see it, too. He added that he hoped the release of the video would help "build bridges of understanding" in the city instead of inciting unrest.

"I believe this is a moment that can build bridges of understanding rather than become a barrier of misunderstanding," Emanuel said. "I understand that people will be upset and want to protest when they see this video. But I would like to echo the comments of the McDonald family. They asked for calm and that those who choose to speak out do it peacefully."

Several politicians joined Jackson at the press conference to pledge their support for Friday's demonstration, including Rep. Bobby Rush and Rep. Danny Davis, who both called on the citizens of Chicago to join together to make a change.

"The Magnificent Mile will be magnificent when those seeking justice are the citizens of the city of Chicago," Rush said.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...-on-Black-Friday-353942231.html#ixzz3se1iEmb9
    Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

Getoninja and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  2. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

you gotta be full blown retarded to not think is the case

3. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  4. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    As manic as black Friday shoppers are there might be more death and dismemberment for these people!:giggle:

I'm surprised they didn't try to mess with the State st. Thanksgiving day parade today.

5. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On Reggie Friday, isn't everyone done and home by 11am?

IfTheyOnlyKnew, sino8r, WHTHS and 2 others like this.
  6. dawg

Reputations:
    Who leaves the house these days with online shopping? Not me.

7. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Jesse still wants the Blacks to think this is 1950s Selma. He needs to keep them down for him to keep power.
    What kind of change do they want?

8. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Sure he will! Because it's safer to march down the ritzy shopping district to protest the killing of one black kid, rather then march down a street in the south side where black men, women, and children are gunned down on a daily basis. But that would be dangerous and require protection from the police. :facepalm:

9. HorsetoothBeth

Reputations:
    Yeah. I've never participated in the Black Friday hoopla, unless I check out Amazon's sale.
    Most people that go out, just want to tear shit and each other up.

GLguygardner and dawg like this.
  10. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    The businesses will lose money and people will be arrested. The city will drop charges and the businesses will get fucked. Again.
    Just like when they did it at Mall of America.
    Give them Arkansas.

RonHeinzkaboot and PI Nate like this.
  11. dawg

Reputations:
    When you have leaders like sharpton and Jackson you are doomed at the start. are there no other leaders that can take over and be more credible?

12. HorsetoothBeth

Reputations:
    The white man has to change. That's what he means. Black folk are perfect. They don't kill each other. And if they do, it's because the white man keeps them down somehow.

13. HorsetoothBeth

Reputations:
    Honestly, no.

sino8r likes this.
  14. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Let the noggery begin on Reggie Friday....

TeeDonkey likes this.
  15. YYZ

YYZ Member

Reputations:
    They guy did have a knife and was acting crazy, but he did not deserve to be shot 16 times....I agree...once was probably enough.
    What I don't understand is what they are protesting...the cop got charged....what else do they expect to happen?

16. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    They were ripping lights off the trees last night.

17. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For the record, when reggies can create a neighborhood that isn't a shithole, then i'll give a shit.

As far as I can see, the majority of reggies are little more than feral animals who are always looking for a handout.

18. The Finklestein Kid

The Finklestein Kid Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think younger people take Jesse that seriously, this is a desperate attempt to get back into the limelight.

19. dawg

Reputations:
    I was thinking more in the lines of donations but that makes sense too.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  20. The Finklestein Kid

The Finklestein Kid Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Either one.