Jews being sued for silliness with chickens..

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lawsuit aims to stop Jewish ritual that involves tossing, killing chickens on Brooklyn sidewalks
    BY Barbara Ross
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Monday, July 6, 2015, 8:56 PM
    [​IMG] Schneider, Neil
    The tradition, called Kaporos, involves throwing chickens and slicing their necks, turning Brooklyn sidewalks into slaughterhouses, according to a lawsuit.
    Get the cluck out of here!

A group of Brooklyn residents is suing four rabbis, several Hasidic congregations and the city to stop an annual religious ritual that involves flinging chickens around by their wings and slicing their necks on public sidewalks.

In papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, the Alliance to End Chickens says the "barbaric" tradition, called Kaporos, unnecessarily terrifies the birds and turns public streets into slaughterhouses in the 10 days leading to the Yom Kippur holiday.

“Dead chickens, half dead chickens, chicken blood, chicken feathers, chicken urine, chicken feces, other toxins and garbage . . . consume the public streets,” the suit says. The rituals “There is no oversight and no remedy for toxic contaminant-filled debris or clean up...(the rituals) constitute a substantial public health risk that could have catastrophic and epidemic consequences.”

The filing charges the police and health departments "aid and abet" the practice by blocking off streets and sidewalks and not enforcing city and state laws that regulate health and animal cruelty issues.

The lawyers for the group, Jessica Astrof and Nora Constance Marino, said Kaporos has become a major fundraising event, particularly for congregations in Crown Heights and Boro Park, where families buy a chicken for each member of the usually large families.

The ritual is thought to transfer a person's sins to the bird, and the sins are absolved by the ritual killing.

The money covers the cost of the chicken and a donation to the congregation. Some then donate the chicken to poor families.

[​IMG]
    Enlarge
    The Alliance to End Chickens says the Kaporos ritual has led to sidewalks covered in blood from the slaughter of chickens.
    "Ten years ago, Kaporos only occurred in several small alleys and a handful of synagogue parking lots. However, every year it has increased in size and scope. Today, Kaporos has become an overwhelming event that has spiraled out of control. .. (into) a carnival like atmosphere of bloody violence," the lawyers say in an affidavit.

"Clearly this event is now motivated by money and profits, and not by religious redemption."

In affidavits, people who live and work in the neighborhoods describe getting sick at the sight of chickens running around with no heads or heads only partially cut off, the stench of blood that permeates the neighborhood for days, the screams of terrified chickens as they are swung through the air or as they smell their future while cooped up in tiny cages.

Aleksandra Bromberg, a Hunter College student, says the odor on her block is unbearable and made her seriously ill with flu like symptoms for the past three years. She and her husband are thinking of moving out of Crown Heights.

"Slaughterhouses do not belong in our neighborhood," she says in an affidavit.

Julien Deych, 22, says he made the mistake of jogging past a Kaporos slaughter site and came away covered in feathers and dust and tortured by the memory of watching children and adults taunt the terrified birds stacked up in a large tractor trailer truck.

A spokesman for the city law department said, “We'll review the complaint.”

[​IMG] Tanay Warerkar / NY Daily News
    The ritual is thought to transfer a person's sins to the bird, and the sins are absolved by the ritual killing.
    None of the rabbis returned calls for comment.

Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind, who represents Boro Park, disputed the Alliance's description of what happens.

"I represent this community. I live here, walk around here, have an office in the heart of the community. And I don't know what in God's name they're talking about. They make it sound like there's blood running in the streets. It's just not true," he said.

Hikind said if some congregations are not careful about sanitation issues, he would "have no problem with police enforcing the laws. But chickens are not being killed on the sidewalks."

Hikind said it's against Jewish law to torture animals or cause them pain and he insisted that also doesn't happen.

The Alliance lawyers said Jewish law allows coins or other non animal symbols to be used in place of chickens.

Hikind agreed using coins or making donations to charity are acceptable alternatives but he said Kaporos is a long standing tradition for some Hasidic families. "I ask people to respect those cultural differences," he said.

2. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    Oh Dear…The hasidic version of voodoo..:eek:

3. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Filthy animals, and I don't mean the chickens. :dadance:

4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They should just use rubber chickens.

5. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is okay but cock fighting is illegal....Protected by the cloak of religion

6. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why do humans feel they have to kill innocent animals for bullshit reasons?? Fucking scumbags. I hate people. People are overrated.

7. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My Mother can't eat chicken. She grew up on a farm and saw the chickens being slaughtered. She said when her grandmother would chop off the head, the chicken would run around. sometimes right at them. Totally freaked her out.

8. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Isn't that a terrible name for a chicken rights organization? Sounds more like it should be advocating for this type of practice than against it doesn't it?

9. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :wd::wd::wd:: oy:

10. zutroy

zutroy Totally nude. Totally flawless.

Reputations:
  11. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yeah why can't they just be used for food???

Seriously they do use the chicken for food, by my understanding it's donated to the poor. I don't get the appeal of flying a chicken over your head but nothing goes to waste.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  12. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
  13. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    Hasidic Jews are some strange mo fuckas fo sho! :oy2:

isabella, FishySausage, ARM and 3 others like this.
  14. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is deep chassidus/kabbalah and even the major deciders of Jewish law through the ages have been split on it. To me it clearly violates a number of prohibitions on animal cruelty, sacrifices and idolatry

isabella, ARM, OV and 3 others like this.
  15. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    fuck those fucking fuckers

ARM and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  16. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Fucking religions.

smichal and ARM like this.
  17. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    If I ever have an inherent need to get physically ill, I just watch Pink Flamingos clips on Youtube. God almost all John Waters movies are frigging inbred mind fuckfests.

18. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    I am however a big fan of religious snake handling. Have at it fellas :thumbup2:

19. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    serial mom was funny and pretty normal

ARM likes this.
  20. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree. Its a completely barbaric ritual that needs to be done away with. There is nothing in the Torah requiring that this practice be done - it was something that developed over the centuries and has no place in the 21st Century. In fact, the Torah explicitly forbids the torture of any living thing, including animals. Most Jews I know have abandoned this ritual and instead perform the pre-Yom Kippur atonement ritual with money, which they then immediately deposit into a charity box. I drive by the Lubavitch world HQ on Eastern Parkway all the time in September and October and I cringe whenever I see those chicken crates. Get rid of it.