Jim Florentine interviews David Lee Roth..New Van Halen Album in the works

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Dec 3, 2013.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    wow Jim interviews DLR without asking him about his cock... (pay attention Howard)

the once coolest band on earth is working on a new record with DLR...

now if someone could bring back Michael Anthony ..... man when I was a kid these guys were the coolest.. then

they got old anyway....

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/12/02/Van-Halen-working-on-new-music/1201386001956/

[​IMG]

2. snowdog212

snowdog212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Believe it when I hear it ADKOL blew me away how good it was. Hoping this next one is all new material

3. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's torture bcs Eddie was sounding his best in years, yet DLR just can't hit the notes or move around fluidly. He looks awkward on stage now, it's surreal.

4. ZosoHitler

ZosoHitler VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I thought the last album was really good. I'm curious if Eddie will finally write some new material or just re-record some unreleased songs from thirty years ago like he did on A Different Kind Of Truth.

5. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

looks like they are going for all new stuff

6. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    mine as well jump

7. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    Not to mention he doesn't even really sing anymore. He pretty much just says the lyrics out loud in his regular speaking voice and about one chorus a song tries to sing, cracks and goes back to speaking.

But the good news is we all got to see a video of his dogs running around. :facepalm:

8. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Still trying to figure this out ???? WTF was he thinking ???

9. Beer Chugger

Beer Chugger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Was "A Different Kind of Truth" really old songs that they re-recorded? I didn't know that.

It was a pretty decent album, although DLR's singing is not what it used to be.

10. Beer Chugger

Reputations:
    I just love knowing that it was him that dumped her and that she was unhappy about it.

11. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Jim Florentine -- always the practical jokester.

12. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    They were songs that were mostly redone from old demos the band did in the early days. Dave wrote or rewrote lyrics. You can find a few of the demos on youtube with different lyrics and slightly different music. In the end, it was still new releases, but just written a long time ago, which was fine with me, because that album rocked!

13. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Actually, the problem this last tour is he DID try to sing every song. The 2007-08 tour when I saw them was the best Roth has sounded since the early 90's because he didn't try to do anything he couldn't, he talked parts he couldn't sing and he pulled it off, it was a COMPLETE change from when I saw him open for Sammy in 2002 and he was so bad and so out of date with his look and stage banter that the crowd was openly laughing AT him, not with him. This last tour he decided for some reason "I'm going to sing everything one register higher than the songs were written, butchering every song and then I'm going to just do some gay dancing and look painfully out of touch with the rest of the band"...

[video=youtube;MfdgRglmoLM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfdgRglmoLM[/video]

and if you thought that was just an off performance, here they are a few months ago in Sydney..better audio, still horrible vocals...

[video=youtube;KC7It3HUscY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC7It3HUscY[/video]

I'ts not even just that song, listen to him here on "Hot for Teacher", there's NO FUCKING REASON for him to try and sing parts of this song higher than it was originally written, this is a song he SHOULD talk 99% of it but he insists on trying to sing it, it's insane..

[video=youtube;UQqECBRL9g4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqECBRL9g4[/video]

14. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    He moves around the stage like he has a perpetually itchy asshole.

15. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yep, it was all old demos and songs re-worked except for one I think that Roth wrote new but I'm blanking on which one it was. Most of those songs had been floating around on bootlegs since the 80's, as much as it pissed me off how they fucked Mikey and ruined what should have been a REAL reunion, it was cool to hear some of those songs I've loved off the demos for 20+ years finally done right in a studio. "Big River", my favorite song off the new album was originally "Big Trouble" off their demo album..loved it on the demo album, REALLY loved it on the new album:

[video=youtube;Vev490R6U2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vev490R6U2k[/video]

Demo:

[video=youtube;RrEa_mhvjuE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrEa_mhvjuE[/video]

16. Beer Chugger

Reputations:
    Jesus that's bad singing.

17. Buffalo Balls

Buffalo Balls Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Man they were so great once, god damn they're horrible now.

[​IMG]

18. jdharmeyer

jdharmeyer New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Those videos are fucking hilarious! I expect some of these old bands to start bringing walkers onstage or better yet move back and forth with ease with a mobilechair. I would love to go and just laugh uncontrollably for a couple of hours!

I think Roth would be better off just lipsyncing the vocals through some assist program, so he can follow a rough script and talk and they press playvocals with his foot.

I think all this "new material" shit is a sham. So they make the t-shirts before they write the songs? backwards ass method (on the other hand that strategy seems to work pretty well for Apple Corp. LOL.). As DLRoth said, he is about the art and design right now. Bands make tons of money that they don't have to split up with merchandising (a la the shittiest band of all time KISS).

Jews gonna Jew $$$

19. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In reality, the best thing for Van Halen would have been for Eddie to have stayed sober, KEPT Cherone and just rode out the hate from hardcore fans like me..eventually we'd have come around to Cherone like I eventually did. I actually like about half the Van Halen III album they did with him, he brought it live, he handled the Roth stuff with ease and he did admirably handling Sammy's vocals on those songs, you literally had "the best of both worlds" with him fronting the band. By the time I came around to actually giving him a shot he was gone...