Jim Florentine's podcast

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ZeroZed, Jul 13, 2013.

1. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    Sitting here smoking a cigar and listening to Florentine's podcast on the O&A channel. Holy shit is he funny. The guy is just ranting about stuff...blathering on about weddings, taking pictures of his cock and dumps on disposable cameras at wedding receptions, and eating the brides "box."

Its striking to hear the difference between a naturally funny guy like Jim who can just talk unscripted and be hilarious versus Howard who, even with "writers" is an unfunny bore.

2. Eddie Blake

Eddie Blake I love guns and cum Banned User

Reputations:
  3. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    I just listened to Florentine's episode of Marc Maron's WTF podcast, and it was fantastic. He basically talks about his entire life up to getting married, and he's had quite a ride. I didn't know his story, so it was all new and completely fascinating to me.

It was my first complete listen to a Maron podcast, and I'm already annoyed by him. He's a bit of a douche, but he gets some quality guests, so I think some cherry-picking is in order.

Anyway, one of the many nuggets I picked out of the Florentine episode explains his relationship with Robin. His mother was a very religious person, and used to, in the spirit of Christian charity, take in people who were down on their luck/homeless/etc.

Jim, by his own admission, took that model and approached relationships the same way: he'd find the most damaged women he could and try to play the knight in shining armor/Christ the Redeemer with them.

So it finally makes sense.

But yes, I completely agree with your point. The gap between a guy like Florentine and Howard is massive. And it's not just that Howard isn't funny; he's not interesting anymore, either.

Well, not in the way he's supposed to be, anyway.

4. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    I was listening today too. it was funny as shit.

5. King Chris

King Chris Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Marc Maron is a really good interviewer. But he's a self involved douche. Skip ahead of him talking about himself and get to the interview part. He was Louie CK's best friend for years. That's honestly made me wonder if Louie is a douche in real life too. I can't imagine a guy like Marc as a best friend.

6. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I've been subscribing since the beginning--some of them are hit and miss, but other rants are just amazing.

The one with his filthy friend Gary from Florida, and the busting of the ticket scalper's balls are incredible episodes.

As for Maron, he's a mess--but he's a better interviewer with Stern. His podcast with Gilbert Gottfried was one of the best interviews I've ever heard in my life. Gilbert actually sounded likeable and thoughtful. The Carl LaBove interview should go in a time capsule.

7. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    I remember sitting in my office listening to THSS back in the 90s (when Jackie and Stuttering John were still there)...it wasn't uncommon for me to literally laugh so hard I could barely stay seated. Looking back at how fucking hilarious the show used to be and comparing it to the modern show (which is basically just Howard on his own), it is impossible to conclude anything other than Howard just isn't funny by himself.

Florentine, on the other hand, IS a funny motherfucker. There's just no way Howard could riff or rant for an hour without somebody else doing the heavy comedy lifting for him.

8. teriaki

teriaki Member

Reputations:
    I go hot and cold on Maron's podcast, but the guy wrote a great article in Lucky Peach magazine a few months back. It's just 2.5 pages but it's well written and metaphoric.

9. PelicanWig

Reputations:
    But he has Benji there writing some hilarious zingers...

10. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    Link?

11. PelicanWig

Reputations:
    It was on the o and a channel this morning. Not sure where you find it online.

12. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You can stream or download via the Riotcast Network (home to Jim's and a few other good podcasts) here:

http://www.riotcast.com/jimflorentine/

Or here:

http://jimflopodcast.libsyn.com/

or on iTunes, of course.

It's a good show. I don't listen as much as I should, but when it hits, it's golden. A great recent one was where he talked about how he started doing the prank phone calls and all the ones that backfired. Badly..

Oh yeah, it's called "Jim Florentine's Comedy Metal Midgets". Whatever that means..

13. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You've got mail :yay: :yay: :yay:

14. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    I've got all of Florentine's "Terrorizing Telemarketers" albums and they're a fucking riot. I need to see what number he's up to in case I've fallen behind.

[video=youtube_share;2dy9lUJJGqI]http://youtu.be/2dy9lUJJGqI[/video]

15. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Gonna' check JF's out.......Got into Alec Baldwin's podcasts and was shocked at how good they are.........Listen to the one with he and Billy Joel in contrast to the abortion Hamptons did with Mr. Joel.........Alec Baldwin is a great interviewer.....

16. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    I owe you a few beers for mentioning this. This is time capsule stuff, and I wouldn't have listened to it so soon without your recommendation.

It's the one-on-one podcast version of the debuts of Mark Harris, Beetlejuice, and Hank on the HS show, fella.

http://jimflopodcast.libsyn.com/jim-s-sick-vile-and-hilarious-interview-with-his-friend-gary

Wow! I never use the phrase "time capsule", and I didn't actually see that you used that term when I responded to the first part of your post. Weird.

But based on your Gary from Florida recommendation, the Gilbert and Carl LaBove interviews with Maron have now become essential listening, fella.

Thanks! :up:

Did you catch Gilbert's last appearance on Artie's show?!? Good stuff..................despite the douche (Mannix?) between them.

[video=youtube;fziDDVW8p5Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fziDDVW8p5Q[/video]

[video=youtube;WKTR4UVOR2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKTR4UVOR2o[/video]

17. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard needs to hire Flroentine to fill the Artie chair. Find $1 million a year budget somewhere before you sinking ship goes under.

18. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Robin would never allow that.

19. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    Bingo! When I'm listening to Florentine, all I can think about is how perfect he would have been for the Stern show, and I wonder how they could have let him slip away.

:facepalm:

It's not like he would have been expensive. He'd have been just like Howard likes 'em: cheap and deferential.

Even if it wasn't to fill the Artie chair, Howard should have hired him as a monologue/rant/riff writer, and could have kept fooling 80% of his audience that he still had some fire in his belly while reading what Jim wrote, instead of stumbling through those abortions Benjy calls "jokes".

It was a severe miscalculation there, especially when you run the "what it would have cost him":"what it would have gotten him" numbers.

Howard could have had a piece of so many comedians it's not funny. If he would have opened the purse strings, and the airwaves, just a little bit a few years ago, he'd be sitting on an ever-growing empire today, instead of spending his waning days burning every last fucking bridge he built, plotted, schemed, and stole his way across.

20. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    His podcast is fucking awesome.

He had me laughing outloud at his latest supermarket stories.