News Jimmy Carter Has Cancer

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Aug 12, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Jimmy Carter says he has cancer, revealed by recent surgery
    [​IMG]
    ATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter announced he has been diagnosed with cancer in a brief statement issued Wednesday.

"Recent liver surgery revealed that I have cancer that now is in other parts of my body," Carter said in the statement released by the Carter Center. "I will be rearranging my schedule as necessary so I can undergo treatment by physicians at Emory Healthcare."

The statement makes clear that Carter's cancer is widely spread, but not where it originated, or even if that is known at this point. The liver is often a place where cancer spreads and less commonly is the primary source of it. It said further information will be provided when more facts are known, "possibly next week."

Carter announced on Aug. 3 that he had surgery to remove a small mass from his liver.

Carter, 90, was the nation's 39th president. After leaving the White House, he founded the center in Atlanta in 1982 to promote health care, democracy and other issues globally.

He has remained active for the center in recent years, making public appearances at its headquarters in Atlanta and traveling overseas, including a May election observation visit to Guyana cut short when Carter developed a bad cold.

Carter also completed a book tour this summer to promote his latest work, "A Full Life."

Carter included his family's history of pancreatic cancer in that memoir, writing that his father, brother and two sisters all died of the disease and said the trend "concerned" the former president's doctors at Emory.

"The National Institutes of Health began to check all members of our family regularly, and my last remaining sibling, Gloria, sixty-four, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died in 1990," Carter wrote. "There was no record of another American family having lost four members to this disease, and since that time I have had regular X-rays, CAT scans, or blood analyses, with hope of early detection if I develop the same symptoms."

Carter wrote that being the only nonsmoker in his family "may have been what led to my longer life."

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to President Carter," said Dr. Len Lichtenfeld, deputy chief medical officer of the American Cancer Society.

"There's a lot we don't know," but the first task likely will be determining where the cancer originated, as that can help determine what treatment he may be eligible for, Lichtenfeld said. Sometimes the primary site can't be determined, so genetic analysis of the tumor might be done to see what mutations are driving it and what drugs might target those mutations.

"Given the president's age, any treatments, their potential and their impacts, will undoubtedly be discussed carefully with him and his family," he added.

Carter Center spokeswoman Deanna Congileo called the surgery earlier this month "elective" and said Carter's "prognosis is excellent for a full recovery." She declined to answer further questions at the time.

An Emory spokesman declined comment Wednesday. The health care system's Winship Cancer Institute in Atlanta touts its designation as a National Cancer Institute center and a recent ranking among the top 25 cancer programs in the U.S. on its website.

2. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    one of the worst presidents, but a very nice guy.

3. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
    He's 90.......at this point....

[​IMG]

VarmintSam, Rupert Pupkin and ARM like this.
  4. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    And he largely committed his post Presidential life to service and not amassing a personal fortune. May more follow in that example.

5. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...i cant find the clip of hubert humphrey after being diagnosed with cancer. he went on a riff about how we had a man n the moon but cant seem to find a cure for this disease.

6. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    Very nice guy, a true christian
    It's expensive but I avoid peanut butter and peanuts as much as possible because of the aflatoxins.

AmishGirl, blindbella and ARM like this.
  7. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Not a great president but a great man

8. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Commie anti-Semite, but you don't wish this on anyone.

9. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You sell him short, one of the best ex-presidents.

10. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
  11. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Same - but almond butter just isn't as good :(

ARM likes this.
  12. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...not a shot was fired at any perceived aggressor under carter. he also warned the people of the united states in an oval office speech that americans were losing sight of who they are because they/we were becoming more concerned with material things we could own over whats really meaningful. he was very insightful and a good and decent human being. not so hot on economics for sure.

13. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Cancer will always eventually get you if you live long enough, mother nature is a cunt.

14. joe361

joe361 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    One of the worst? No, more like a middling one.

Trophy Knife and ARM like this.
  15. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Very well said!! One of the few that actually gave a shit for the betterment of mankind. I really loved THIS quote when he was forced to fire back at John McCain.......

Carter finds bright spot in being called a terrible president by John McCain

By T. BECKET ADAMS • 11/21/14 6:29 PM
    ShareTweetSMSMore

Former President Jimmy Carter responded Friday to being referred to as one of the worst presidents in U.S. history by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., quipping that it’s a “compliment” to be considered a terrible president by a “warmonger” like McCain.

Carter’s remarks were prompted by a question from MSNBC’s Ronan Farrow.

“John McCain, reaching for the worst possible insult for President Obama, earlier this year said this: ‘I have never seen anything like this in my life. I thought Jimmy Carter was bad, but he pales in comparison to this president in my opinion,’ ” Farrow said.

“The serious question is, what does is it feel like, and what is your response to these moments of being used as an insult, your legacy being used as an insult?” the cable news host asked.

MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
    Major media outlets downplay Hillary Clinton's latest FBI woes
    By Becket Adams 08/12/15 3:41 PM

Carter responded: “That’s a compliment to come from a warmonger. ... I was lucky enough when I was president to keep our country at peace, and provide peace for others.”

“I was lucky enough to go through my four years, we never shot a bullet or dropped a bomb or fired a missile,” Carter said.

16. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

17. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  18. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Carter came into a very bad financial situation leftover from massive spending from the Vietnam War and shrinking manufacturing and factories closing in the 70s. He was ill equipped to handle the recession. He also surrounded himself with a very weak cabinet. Terrorisim and hostage problems in Iran didnt help him either. His will be remembered for the Camp David Accord that got Egypt and Isreal together.

19. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who's gonna build the houses when he's gone ?

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  20. EOMS

EOMS Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure our hostages appreciated ol' Jimmy's administration of appeasement.