Amazon Prime

JJ Abrms to direct Star Wars after directing Star Trek

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Jon Hein is God, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
  2. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Awesome, hope this is for real. He would be an excellent choice.

3. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Star Wars Episode VII: The H Stern Screener.

4. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Personally I was hoping for Guillermo Del Torro because the creatures he has come up with for his movies were an amazing hybrid of practical effects and cgi and would work perfectly in the star wars universe.

That being said JJ Abrams is a great choice. He brought back Star Trek and I'm sure he will do a great job in redeeming star wars after the prequals. Combine that with the fact that the screenwriter is the guy who wrote Toy story 3 and I am really impressed with the steps disney has taken so far

5. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
  6. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    awesome

7. WillyBest

WillyBest Gummo! Gold VIP

Reputations:
    Dawesome. Dodally dawesome.

8. Willowglen

Willowglen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That you are lazy and suck?

9. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    Bad choice in my opinion. I enjoy Abrams' films, but let's be honest...his movies are extremely action oriented which is cool if that's all you want out of a movie.

The original Star Wars trilogy was something different. It dealt in archetypes, myth, spirituality, and action. Granted, you could enjoy the movies merely on their "action" level, but what made those movies really special--classic--was that there was more substance underneath the duals, chases, etc. There's a finite number of times you can go back to that well. Unfortunately, Hollywood is risk-averse and invests disproportionately in remakes, sequels, reboots, and rip-offs; I expect Disney will hue close to the original formula.

I hope for the best, but I'm pretty skeptical. Even continuing the franchise seems as ill-conceived as making more movies in The Godfather saga. And there shouldn't be any doubt that Disney has it's eyes on the merchandising and myriad spin-offs (most likely airing on the Disney Channel)...which suggests that their target demographic will be between 10-15 years old. The funny thing is, even if I'm correct there are enough Star Wars fan-boys who will ejaculate at anything thrown up on the screen--much like they did for Lucas' shitty prequels. As a big fan of E.R. Burroughs' "Barsoom" books, I was sorely disappointed how Disney handled that potential gold-mine of a franchise. I doubt future Star Wars films will ever achieve "classic" status. But when you hire a big name, flashy director it says you're more interested in cashing in.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  10. Nurse Remulak

Nurse Remulak New Member

Reputations:
    Good Director.. gives me hope because the last few Star Wars were fucking dreadful. Nice to look at but dreadful. And fuck off with any comedic sidekick please? We don't need "a goofy Jar Jar" or "a wacky C3PO" character.. Just do what ya did with Star Trek. That's all I ask.

11. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Shot Dead

Reputations:
    Eps 1-3 and Lucas' meddling with the originals really killed the franchise for me, but this is really good news.

I've never been a Star Trek fan at all and yet Abrams' Star Trek movie was so great that I watched it twice in one weekend. And although many disagree, I thought Super 8 was mostly fun up until the end. Also, I finally watched Toy Story 3 about two weeks ago and I thought it was flawless. So this could really be a winning combination of writer, directer and franchise.

Thankfully that Zack Snyder samurai Star Wars project was just a rumor. Sorry, but Zack Snyder is incredibly overrated.

12. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Shot Dead

Reputations:
    Really? Nice to look at? I thought it was some of the ugliest, dullest and least inspired CG ever made.

13. TelegramSam

TelegramSam Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I will care when they make a Deep Space 9 movie.

14. srricks

srricks Member

Reputations:
    :cheer: I'm for that!

15. srricks

srricks Member

Reputations:
    I heard a rumor they were also looking at Ben Affleck as well.

16. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Pssst!....."Episode 8".....Spike Jonze.

You didn't hear that..from me. ;)

17. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:

sign me up too. they had the best story arcs of all 4 modern treks. (ive never seen TOS)

This kinda pisses me off, i dont see how he could direct both, so i guess hes done with trek.

I really liked the reboot movie, and im looking foward to Into The Darkness.

18. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:

Argo>0Dark30

havent seen Lincoln yet..

19. srricks

srricks Member

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, that'll never happen now that the cast of DS9 are old now. I agree and in some aspects DS9 was better than TOS.

20. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    The only problem with TOS is that it is dated--and it's no wonder since it is almost 50 fucking years old. However, for the better part of 25 years, TOS was compelling and revolutionary. The only other Sci-Fi show even close was TNG. After Gene Roddenberry gave up the ghost and that hack motherfucker Rick Berman took over the franchise everything went to shit. I'm not saying that DS9 or any of those other fugazi shows couldn't be entertaining...but let's be honest--none of those shows deserves to smell TOS's shit!

I'm not going to badmouth JJ's film "reboot" at all...I like the characters, and it's nice to have them around. But the new Trek film was an action flik; TOS was great because it dealt with a lot of social issues and was cerebral (compared to other Sci-Fi of that era). Exploring social issues does not seem to lend itself to lens flare.