Sports Joe Garagiola Thrown out at the plate of life.... dead at 90....

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Mar 23, 2016.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Joe Garagiola Sr., who spent nine seasons in MLB before moving on to a storied broadcasting career, died Tuesday. He was 90.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of baseball legend and former #Dbacks broadcaster Joe Garagiola," the Arizona Diamondbacks said in a Twitter statement.

Garagiola batted .257 with 42 home runs and 255 runs batted in across his nine seasons, playing for the St. Louis Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates, Chicago Cubs and New York Giants. A St. Louis native, he joined the Cardinals' radio broadcast booth—where he truly found his calling—after retirement.

Garagiola's broadcasting career spanned parts of seven decades. He spent a majority of his career calling baseball games for NBC, serving both as a play-by-play announcer and a color commentator. His work with Vin Scully carried the network throughout much of the 1980s, and the pair called multiple All-Star Games and World Series together. The two famously called Kirk Gibson's 1988 World Series home run in one of the most iconic moments in MLB history.

[​IMG]

2. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    really no one gives a shit Joe died?

3. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My dad is 80 and for guys like him baseball was hugggge!!
    Younger kids my sons age under 18 don't give two shits about baseball, in 20 years it will be less popular than hockey and don't try to argue otherwise. Lacrosse p, baseball and football are destroying it.

That's why baseball has a hard on over Cuba right now. It's still stuck in the 1950's and loves baseball a huge untapped market to exploit stuck in the vacuum of time. Just wait it will die there too quickly. I used to love baseball now I hate it. Games are way to long and it is a pretty boring sport to watch relative to other sports.

FosterKitten and chapped like this.
  4. bobblebooey

bobblebooey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

chapped likes this.
  5. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    Joe was a good guy. a great, and funny (hear that Buck?) baseball commentator in the 70's. RIP

chapped likes this.
  6. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    chapped likes this.
  7. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I thought he died a long time ago. His son is a news reporter on channel 4 here in Detroit.

8. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    He grew up on the same street as Yogi Berra in the eye-talian section of St. Louis. Yogi is in the middle row wearing a striped shirt and Joe is in the front row on the far left.

[​IMG]

A few months ago, the host of "The Carson Podcast" mentioned that he reached out to Joe for an interview to discuss guest-hosting The Tonight Show back in the 1970's, but Joe declined stating that he is retired. I read that he moved into an assisted-living facility, just like Yogi did his final few years. One day you are living in an expensive part of town in a nice house on the golf course, the next day you wake up as an 88 year old and move into "THE HOME"

Somehow, this made me laugh only because of the Howard Stern walker Photoshop.

[​IMG]

9. OneBallBelz

OneBallBelz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Buzzr is running their version of the NCAA brackets using game show hosts. They showed a rare episode of a game show called "He Said, She Said" from the early 1970's. Joe hosted it. The game show was later re-tooled as "Tattletales" with host Bert Convy.