John Oliver explains Net Neutrality and what it means for sites like DS

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by NotMyBro, Jun 3, 2014.

1. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Watch this… fucking cable companies man…

[video=youtube;fpbOEoRrHyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU[/video]

Also, John Oliver is asking for help from trolls! I'm sure DS can help. :c

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
  2. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    He's totally addressing this lot.

'Good evening, Monsters.'
    :jj:

3. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Who, The douche that looks like he never saw his lunch money after he got off the short bus at school?

4. Rawdog

Rawdog Member

Reputations:
    i love his show. he is so much better than jon stewart

5. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    fucker nailed it.. fucking scumbag greedy cable companies

6. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

"GM tried to kill people and Comcast is still more hated" :jj:

7. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
  8. chapped

Reputations:

i have had to deal with them when i was living in an apartment in chicago... i was routed to india to deal with a tech problem
    it was a special kind of hell

9. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    Where is the KOAM, the man persecuted by the FCC, on all this?
    Did he even mention it.
    So busy trying to be an expert Watercolorist and ModgePodger

10. Buffalo Balls

Buffalo Balls Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting this

11. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    howard is still trying to wrap his head around why on demand gave him the boot.

he's doesn't have the capacity to understand why net neutrality needs to be preserved.

sim cards robin, hoo hoo.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Ok, watching this now makes me swing the other way! I had thought it was about providers limiting access to the web to those they don't like, to areas they cover, or limiting what kinds of content you could use.

If it's not about denying people access based on favoritism or politics, but selling better faster service to those willing to pay for it, and these are private companies providing a service that in many cases is not a monopoly, why should we limit their ability to sell Netflix faster bandwidth? (Ironically Comcast's own on-demand service is horrible in comparison) If your service gets slowed down as a result, you'd leave to go to another provider, right?

Internet is available via Cable, phone (dsl), satellite, and wireless broadband. So how is Comcast speeding up Netflix for a price evil? By this logic people paying for "front of the line access" at Universal Studios is somehow immoral. If you don't like that, don't give them your money, and go to Disney World instead, right?

This merely comes off as populist complaining about cable companies, envy of those willing and able to pay for a premium service, and complaints by potential future competitors who can't offer what the cable companies do for perhaps technological reasons.

Were there ONE source of internet access for all, were you were forced to use only one provider by government regulation, they'd have a point, perhaps. But I currently have THREE internet services available (and being used) in my home. DSL, Cable(paid for by an employer), and 4G. I use them all at various points, as service is not 100% reliable and we can pay for it. The DSL is the slowest by far and is still very acceptable. The 4g might be the fastest but it costs more to use so guess what, I use the slower form. Isn't that how it should work?

If it's just another case of jealousy of others and more desire to control private companies the way you'd like to see them run w/o owning them yourself, then I can't get behind the protests. Everyone wants to be priority one for a company. But if you're at a Motel 6, guess what, you're not getting the same service as Artie Lange when he goes to a hotel. Is that somehow hurting you?

What I heard sounded like a bunch of bitches whining that someone else gets something better than they do. So where is the problem? Explain and show your work.

13. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Best thing I have watched in a long, long time. Brilliant work! I subscribed to the channel.

14. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:

the reason the internet works so well now is because of net neutrality. from it's creation, the system was based on this principle. if the cable companies/telecos have their way, it will fuck things up significantly.

in the 90's they received a ton of tax payer money to build out and upgrade their networks. what did they do? horde it. we should all have fiber to our homes at this point. instead, we sorely lag behind the rest of the industrialized world in average bandwidth.

we're already paying a premium for internet access. ever run a speed test? it's nowhere near advertised speeds. so they are getting $$ from their subscriber base and now want to double dip and charge the content/service providers. the companies being charged will pass the cost on to us.

this practice would stifle innovation and growth on the internet as we know it today.

i'm not too keen on opening my wallet and being fucked from both ends.

15. ItsAWholeThing

ItsAWholeThing Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Hey hey i work in this industry......and this guy has it completely RIGHT!

16. Howards Talent

Howards Talent Member

Reputations:
    You really think the lazy fuck populace will do anything? Think again!

17. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i've been wanting someone to explain this to me....i still don't know what is best for us and dawg's.

18. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    Your right in your reply to other poster, this is not just a case of people jealous of running a successful business better than the haters can.
    Its the formation of a monopoly, for price fixing and elimination of competition, protected by the FCC and it means the restriction of access (this was the reason the US Post Office came to be; to protect the access to the national network for delivering information important to commerce). This is not free market and there are going to be a lot more mergers and a lot less innovation not to mention its going to hurtful to entrepreneurs.

But what can you do?

19. chapped

Reputations:
  20. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    Notice all these stories about celebrities speaking out about internet trolls are coming out