Jon Ritchie: How/Why Did This Happen?

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by aaron9762001, Jan 16, 2014.

1. aaron9762001

aaron9762001 New Member

Reputations:
    Ritchie has been doing this show for about a year now. And you won't find many people who value his presence as he literally just sits there, and that's when he's at his best. If he talks, it's actually worse somehow.

I still have a DirecTV season pass on my DVR even though I don't watch the show nearly as much as I used to, and I had a friend stop by while I was playing an episode last weekend. Artie was interviewing someone, and my buddy goes, "What's the deal with the guy in the middle? He just sits there."

Yep. He just sits there.

Sums it up perfectly.

So, for those in the know, or for those who, perhaps like me, used to really like listening to this show, how did it get to a point where Jon Ritchie is the co-host? Is there actually a statement from Artie or from someone at DirecTV explaining this?

I used to look forward to watching this show, but now it's Artie with no one to riff off of and, because of that, incorporating Bocchetti as a crutch. Why? Because he can't get anything from his co-host.

I can't imagine Artie looks forward to working with Ritchie, and I worry for Artie's sake that this may be his last shot, and the fact that he's been put with a co-host who brings nothing to the table will play a role in bringing him down. Ritchie doesn't seem like a bad guy at all. I liked him on ESPN. He's just not even remotely right for this show. And I can't understand how this happened and how, one year later, it's still going on.

2. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Last week was pretty rough for Ritchie. Most of the guests last week were Art's fellow comics. Ritchie mainly chimes in for the sports (90% of the time it is about football, the other 10% is A-Rod) and the music guest interviews. Now that they abandoned the Guitar Center music guests, which took up an entire hour of the show (including both performances and interview), they need to fill the last hour with someone who can hold a conversation on different topics for 3 segments. That usually means it's a comic that Art will personally ask to be on the show, which also means that Ritchie has nothing from that world to discuss. Remember when he asked if a comic had any good Thanksgiving jokes?

Ritchie is useful for football analysis, but the other 7 months of the year, he's really worthless. He was barely able to talk baseball even during the series.

And the blame should not entirely fall on Ritchie. Art is very, very lazy. The show takes a max of 4 hours out of his life every day. He does absolutely no prep for the show. He relies on Bocchetti more than anyone. After Nick was fired, Bocchetti became the focus of the show and he was finally put on the official DirecTV payroll (I am about 80% sure it was after Nick &, because I think it happened after the last Super Bowl week in Nawlins). The following months of trying to find the permanent co-host, they started spreading focus to the production crew (Shane and James, mostly), but Bocchetti became the "star" because of how entertaining Artie found it to make fun of him.

We could be stuck with Mannix or Stover. I take Ritchie over those two since Mannix tries to dominate the conversation and Stover gets embarrassed at everything and laughs awkwardly. Stover's fiancee is pretty hot though...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Did they really kill it altogether?

That is GREAT News.
    They were always absolutely Haaarrible.
    Combine that with the Haaarible sound quality on the Downloads and it was irritating.
    I almost always listen in the car while driving --It was really annoying to have to FF/skip at least twice per show(that had "music")

4. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The show has become a parade of jerkoffs.

5. aaron9762001

aaron9762001 New Member

Reputations:
    It just makes me wonder what the plan is for the long haul. It can't possibly be Jon Ritchie. And even though execs may have an unfortunately large influence on content, I'd have to think Artie has a large say in his co-host. That's why I'm beyond confused as to how/why he chose Ritchie, and how/why Artie/DirecTV allow it to continue.

It's just a waste of a great talent and the potential for a great show.

What's that quote from A Bronx Tale? "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent."

The whole thing is so strange. It just doesn't make any sense, unless they said we can only pay some pittance of a salary for the co-host. But even that doesn't make sense when you consider the amount invested in the show.

"Let's get a guy who is one of the quickest and funniest comedic minds of our era, build a multi-million dollar studio on prime real estate, and…pair him with…an out of work ex-football player with the comedic timing of a cock ring."

6. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    I don't know how he evolved to be the cohost, but he seems ok to. He copes ok with artie.i am not a sports person so sometimes sports commentators can get boring but I like the guy.

7. The Abzilla

The Abzilla New Member

Reputations:
    I am a fan of Richie actually, but I would say the only reason he got the job is because everyone else they tried out would have been way worse. Artie seemed to like him and they would hang out after the show quite a bit when he first started appearing. Couple that with the fact that he actually played in the NFL and the execs had to be sold on him. I wish he would tell more behind the scenes football stories, I know he always says he wouldnt notice things that would go on but I dont buy that.

8. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    IMO, Ritchie is the worst thing that's happened to the show. If Artie had a co-host who could speak and think, he could bounce ideas off of him, instead of just lazily handing the mic to bocchetti for seemingly hours on end.

The absolute best ritchie can do is sit silently. Whenever he tries to speak, it always takes too long and thoroughly disrupts the flow and direction of the show.

There are two things ritchie COULD contribute :

get somewhat better known ex players on as guests. That clearly has not happened.

tell interesting insider stories. That clearly has not happened.

Fucking terrible.

9. HorseVsPelican

HorseVsPelican Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He is just a really dumb guy and nothing more. He's not a bad person though. Bocchetti is also not bad but Artie makes him bad by over-using him every night.

10. aaron9762001

aaron9762001 New Member

Reputations:
    Outside of Stover and Mannix, who did they even try out for an extended period of time?

11. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    No one really. They had a guy in from St Louis for a few days and i think john salley a couple of days

I actually liked the rotating guest hosts or just artie alone.

i didnt like mannix or stover much but after dealing with ritchie, they would have been much preferred

12. The Abzilla

The Abzilla New Member

Reputations:
    As stated above, nobody for an extended time really. They had Spike Eskin and a guy from extra who wasn't bad actually but they were only for a day or so and you could just tell that none of them would really work out long term. I liked Stover at first but he would never lighten up or contribute to anything that got risque in the slightest. Mannix has always seemed like a pompous asshole so I was very happy that he didnt become co-host.

13. Death Smack

Death Smack Active Member

Reputations:
    Jon Ritchie doesn't bother me either but then again I love sports and DTV is still trying to pass this show off as a sports show. Artie even admits that Artie doesn't know anything about current sports, he said he hasn't paid attention to sports since Artie stopped gambling

14. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    The consensus for most of us on dawgs is that if Nick was no longer a choice, BJ should have been the co-host, but the timing was just off because he signed a contract with CBS right before they had Ritchie join on permanently. I also don't think DirecTV was willing to pay Brian Jones enough money to keep him from CBS, considering they are paying Artie (and maybe still paying off Nick's contract/part of his contract) a ton of cash for a show that does not generate lots of revenue and continues to lose, rather than gain affiliates.

At least the execs seemingly listened to everyone sending in complaints about the shitty bands and went after AshleyMadison.

15. The Abzilla

The Abzilla New Member

Reputations:
    Yeah Brian Jones would have been a good co-host. Really like his guest spots, the energy he brings, and he can be pretty funny.

16. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Yeah I love sports too. It's....just....that.....Ritchie........................takes........................forever.......................forming.................thoughts........and............sentences. It causes me actual physical pain to listen to. Also, he's got a serious knack for obliviously stepping all over comedy when it's happening. I never find his analysis compelling either. His picks are almost exclusively wrong as well. He talks about how much Gruden and him love each other, but he can't even get gruden to do a ten minute phoner. Too bad Artie couldn't get Hugh Douglas, the former Eagle who got fired from ESPN for getting drunk and choking out a co-worker

17. Death Smack

Death Smack Active Member

Reputations:
    Gruden isn't going to call into a small time show and take a chance at Artie getting him to say something he didn't mean, Gruden has the best job in the world for a retired NFL coach and the libtard fags at ESPN fire people for the dumbest shit

18. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Yeah I stopped watching ESPN because I couldn't take anymore stories about sick children, women athletes, and alleged racism at some college in the south or something. I found NFL Network to be much better, better analysts, more highlights,etc. But i was recently dismayed when i saw their upcoming "A Football Life" is about some gay NFL player from a couple of decades ago (that i never even heard of). That seemed like something espn would do but nfl network would have stayed away from. still hilarious to see irvin all coked up on pregame and postgame shows

19. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    These weather reports from Mike are 100x worse than ritchie

20. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I want to jump thru the TV and choke him when he laughs so much during the retarded Bocchetti weather bits. I hope SF gets killed this weekend just to prove how he knows nothing.
    I don't think the fags at ESPN will let their hosts appear on other networks as guests.