News Judge dismisses jury: too many white jurors!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Tim, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim ty dawg for gold! Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.wdrb.com/story/30308688/...dismissing-juries-based-on-lack-of-minorities

Unhappy with the number of potential black jurors called to his court last week, Jefferson Circuit Court Judge Olu Stevens halted a drug trial and dismissed the entire jury panel, asking for a new group to be sent up.
    “The concern is that the panel is not representative of the community,” said Stevens, who brought in a new group of jurors despite objections from both the defense and prosecutor.

And this wasn’t the first time Stevens, who is black, has dismissed a jury because he felt it was lacking enough minorities. Now the state Supreme Court is going to determine whether the judge is abusing his power.

On Nov. 18, after a 13-member jury chosen for a theft trial ended up with no black jurors, Stevens found it “troublesome” and dismissed the panel at the request of a defense attorney.

“There is not a single African-American on this jury and (the defendant) is an African-American man,” Stevens said, according to a video of the trial. “I cannot in good conscious go forward with this jury.”

Back in April, when hearing the case of one of two armed, black home invaders, Stevens said he was “deeply offended” — not by the criminals, but because the 3-year-old girl victim was racist and “in constant fear of black men."

Fatass and PI Nate like this.
  2. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You can bet Howard's life savings blacks ain't answering no jury duty letter.

JameGumb likes this.
  3. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    White devils can't be trusted with justice.

reno, maroon, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  4. Time-Pilot

Time-Pilot Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Well Felons can't serve on most juries.

Fatass, PI Nate, Wangold and 2 others like this.
  5. beleca

beleca Member

Reputations:
    They have this problem in Baltimore because blacks as a rule show up to jury duty at something like less than half the rate of whites. So even though the city of 600,000 is 70% black, it's hard to find a jury that's even 50% blacks. Every few years they try to implement some incentive system where if you show up you get entered into a lottery to win money or some other bullshit, which is based on the time-honored, self-evident precept of the US justice system: "blacks love the lottery", but it never comes to fruition. And then the black defendants bitch about their white juries. It's also an issue in civil cases in Baltimore where black jurors just refuse to award damages to whites. White people literally decide to forego a lawsuit in the city if they're white, because there's a chance you'll get an even partially black jury which will make up their mind before the case starts, especially if you're suing a black person or organization. That's part of why the Freddie Gray nonsense is so fucked up. The mayor is black. The police force is over half black. The officers involved in the case who were actually responsible, eg the driver of the van, were black. The entire fucking political power structure in Baltimore is black, and yet they've found a way to make people believe that this is a case of white racism. If you wanna see what 50 years of the "for us, by us" ethos looks like in practice in government, look at the utopian playgrounds of Baltimore and Detroit.

JustLurking, Fatass, PI Nate and 5 others like this.
  6. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The judge seems a little uppity if you asked me. :coffee:

Bearcat1 and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  7. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Thanks Obama!

PI Nate, reno, 1Vegasgirl and 6 others like this.
  8. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    this is fucking funny...jfc, what is the answer to this stupidity?

Head Censor likes this.
  9. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    Where da black women at?

10. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    War on Whites marches on

1Vegasgirl and NyMarkNy like this.
  11. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Okay, judge, so whites are no good. Got it.

But tell me, how do you feel about wise Latinas?

On second thought, never mind, I don't actually give a fuck."

[​IMG]

PI Nate and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  12. UpInSmoke123

UpInSmoke123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When you go to jury duty for a criminal trial, they ask you in court if you've ever been convicted of a drug offense or known somebody who has. They also ask you if you have negative feelings about the police. I always answer yes to both questions because it's true and I want to get the fuck out of there. I imagine most potential jurors feel the same way. The only people who end up on juries are weird losers who actively want to be there. I can't identify with somebody like that, black or white. I don't think I would be likely to find a jury of my peers based on what I've seen.

reno and 1Vegasgirl like this.