Judge Judy totally got this case wrong

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Lucky Pierre, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    She felt bad for the defendant, which is understandable, however her underage, unlicensed daughter

- drove the plantiff's car without permission.
    - caused an accident by driving 60 mph+
    - accident resulted in injuries to her son who was her passenger and damages to the car which was totaled

If you take someone's car without permission it seems the owner of the car shouldn't be stuck with any of the bills

Emotion wins over legality

[video=youtube;IpWjSL4nSiI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWjSL4nSiI[/video]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    her son gave permission though.

i admit that i've stolen my parents car and had let my friends drive.... but looking back on it now, i was a fucking idiot.
    if the son wasn't there, it would be a different story. also, leaving car keys in the car, even in a deserted area, seems irresponsible to me.

3. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:

he's 14, it wasn't his car, he's not in a position to give permission, especially when the owner of the car never did.

she essentially stole her car

as far as the keys go, most people don't hide their car keys, would it have made such a difference if she instead had the keys on a shelf in the kitchen next to the mail? the teenagers could have grabbed them just the same.

4. Harry Gibbs

Harry Gibbs the boss of all men

Reputations:
    judge jewdy

5. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    i agree, it isn't a clear cut case. judge judy was hung up on the fact that the 14 year old was driving around the property. he felt, hey, i drive there all the time and she has a permit.

as for the keys, even if i concede your point, the mom gave them permission to listen to the radio in the car.

i'll agree with you on one thing though, judge judy was turned off by the plaintiff for suing a mother who lost her daughter. she had an agenda from the beginning and cherry picked a bit, but wtv, it is a small claims court and technically no one pays. the defendant will get $5000 from judge judy's company, not the plaintiff.

6. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:

why isn't it clear cut?

if the boy were driving and caused any injuries, of course his mother would be responsible for any damage, so why isn't it clear cut with this girl?

she had permission to listen to music, nothing else. as soon as she turned on the ignition and drove away, she (and her parents since she's a minor) became responsible for the car. The fact that on completely unrelated previous occasions, the mother let's her son drive on the property is irrelevant (that is legal, by the way).

7. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
  8. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's one Jewy broad.

9. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    should file a television court appeal

10. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:

I wonder what is the thought process behind these types of posts.

11. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is that sarcasm? I can't tell. :dontknow:

12. Summer

Summer Shed Punisher VIP

Reputations:
    Negligent entrustment of a dangerous instrumentality to a minor if she gave them the keys even if only to listen to the radio

13. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    there is no doubt in my mind that judge judy was turned off by the plaintiff from the beginning. it is certainly in poor taste to sue your friends sister after she loses her daughter. so, i'll agree with you that judge judy's explanation was weak.

if i was judge judy and wanted to rule in favor of the defendant, i would say the mom was negligent and shouldn't have let 2 kids with no car issuance unattended in her car with the keys.

14. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    dang, you beat me to it.

15. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Leaving the keys in a car around minors is just like leaving a loaded gun around minors...it's !00% your fault when bad shit happens.

16. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    that's bullshit

she never gave her permission to take the car

what if she gave the girl keys solely to get something out of the trunk and she instead goes on a joyride and causes all sorts of damage? Guess what? The girl and her parents are responsible for the damages, not the owner of the car she stole

17. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Not bullshit...they're minors. It is incumbent on adults to protect and prevent kids from doing stupid shit, to the best of their ability, so that the kids won't kill themselves or someone else. Leaving keys in a 1 or 2 ton vehicle is reckless and stupid, approaching retarded. With kids around, it is also possibly criminally negligent.

The mother of the dead girl should be suing her flabby, white, redneck ass in a real court, because she'd prolly win a bunch of cash.

18. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:

At what point does the teenager ever have to accept responsibility for stealing someone else's car? She was 14 or 15, we're not talking about a toddler playing with a loaded gun.

According to your logic, all adults with teenagers must have their keys hidden at all times because if she hung them up in her usual spot in the kitchen, she created the situation by giving them easy access.

According to your logic, any teenager can steal any car they want and do as much damage as they want and it is then up to the owner of the car they stole to prove and defend herself that she adaquately hid her keys so as not to provoke the whole thing, meanwhile the teenagers share none of the blame for anything.

Insane.

19. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The way it works, at least with insurance, is that unless they are excluded from the policy and unless the vehicle owner signs an affidavit of theft or a police report, it's considered permissive use...especially of someone covered on the policy gave them the keys. If a car is insured, the insurer carries the liability.

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Active Member

Reputations:
    Racism