Judge overreacts to fanny slap

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ooogie, Jun 11, 2013.

1. ooogie

ooogie Member

Reputations:
    While a plea deal was in the works Chad Johnson, a football player, screwed it up by slapping his male lawyer’s butt during the hearing, which enraged the judge who asked him if he thought this was all a “joke.â€

[video=youtube;43ArawVqsbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ArawVqsbM[/video]

[​IMG]

Memo to Judge Kathleen McHugh in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.:

Lighten up. It was a slap on the fanny. That's all it was. It came from a guy, Chad Johnson, who did not argue against a charge that he head-butted his wife in an argument. You, as the judge presiding in the original court case last year, had approved a sentence for the head-butt of probation and community service.

Then when Johnson failed to show up to a meeting with a probation officer, he landed back in front of you on Monday. You agreed to add three months' probation, community service and counseling to his original sentence but declined to send him to jail for his probation violation.

Then you took a serious proceeding and interjected a bit of casualness yourself -- asking him whether he was happy with his lawyer's work on his behalf. Yes, he was happy. He described the lawyer as "awesome." The description may not have been original, but the slap on the fanny confirmed his high opinion of his lawyer.

We all know, of course, that the Circuit Court of Broward County is a place where important matters are pondered and resolved, and we know that you must protect the dignity and the majesty of the court against unwanted intrusions of locker room levity and sophomoric behavior. There are victims in these cases, and it would be wholly out of line for a defendant to turn a judicial proceeding into a casual affair that might indicate justice is not being served and that he or she does not show proper contrition for his or her crime.

But, judge, you went too far. All you had to do was suggest to him that he was not nearly as cute as he thought he was. You could have given him a warning. Instead you decided that a guy who was on probation for a head-butt would serve 30 days in jail for a slap on the backside.

What was it, judge? The laughter in the courtroom? They were not laughing at you. They were laughing with Johnson as he expressed his relief that a humiliating and expensive episode was drawing to a close.

C'mon, judge. Johnson will be in jail Monday night. That's enough. If you let him out on Tuesday, you will have made your point. If you keep him in the Broward County Jail for 30 days, you will always be the judge who could not distinguish between a vicious head-butt and a triumphant slap on the fanny.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9362895/judge-overreacted-chad-johnson-rear-end-slapping-incident

2. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    I'm glad she did that. I know enough about cj to know he doesn't take anything seriously. I'm sick of celebrity privilege you and I would not have the balls to slap a lawyers ass. Let him think about that for a month. : steps off soap box:

3. Bosh

Bosh New Member

Reputations:
    You'd never use that logic if it was a regular person. You're basically using the exact same logic as you hate. Celebrity or not, everyone should be treated equally. The judge got mad because people started laughing. Some people really don't know how to handle power.

4. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    This may be why the word "cunt" was invented. She complimented the lawyer, and he agreed with a quick quiet gesture that came naturally to him. If he had tapped the man's shoulder instead (which to him I think has EXACTLY the same meaning) it would have been much different to her.

The bailiffs were unprofessional in giggling, but the judge abused the ever loving crap out of her power.

When I first heard about this (on the Artie Lange Show) I imagined there had been a lot more to it, some kind of grinning and high fiving scene. But that guy could not have been more respectful.

(This doesn't make him less of a suspect scumbag for hurting a woman, but that's beside the point.)

5. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    You're right I just hate cj probably as much as I hate the wig and my views are skewered.

6. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Did she make this ruling late in the afternoon? I hear judges get tired late in the afternoon and make bad rulings.

7. Isobel

Isobel New Member

Reputations:
    Exactly. I'm so tired of these untouchable tyrants in robes.
    She could have just warned him and gave him some little speech, or even fined him for disrupting court, but 30 days in jail!! Fuck that.

8. cah155

cah155 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  9. icypussy

icypussy clit finder Gold

Reputations:
    Howie told JD he'd rather not hear the clip of this.

10. Beth Eats Hay

Beth Eats Hay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They are not untouchable. Some are held accountable in the very court they think they preside over. Others are given their sentance in a more private manner, such as at home. :)

11. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Oucho Spanko.

12. MISERABLE66

MISERABLE66 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think a stern talking to would have suffice. Hes a football player. This is how they communicate.

On another note, this judge should be taking all of Lindsay Lohans cases.

13. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    especially since hes from the football culture, where thats very a common accepted way to praise.
    hes still a punk, but i dont feel he was in this instance.

when i first head about this, i assumed his lawyer was femalle

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013