Politics Judge Rules Lawsuit Against Manufacturer Of Gun Used At Sandy Hook May Go Forward

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Apr 14, 2016.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Judge makes ruling on Newtown lawsuit against gun maker
    [​IMG]
    Last Updated Apr 14, 2016 2:38 PM EDT

BRIDGEPORT, Conn.-- A Connecticut Superior Court judge has ruled that a lawsuit can go forward against themaker of the rifle used in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.

Judge Barbara Bellis ruled Thursday that a federal law protecting gun-makers from lawsuits does not prevent lawyers for the families of Sandy Hook victims from arguing that the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle is a military weapon and should not have been sold to civilians.

A lawyer for the families had argued there is an exception in federal law that allows litigation against companies that know, or should know, that their weapons are likely to be used in a way that risks injury to others.

Twenty children and six educators were killed in the December 2012 shooting.

The sides are due back in court Tuesday.

CBS affiliate WFSB reports that lawyer Josh Koskoff, who represents the families, welcomed the news.

"We are thrilled that the gun companies' motion to dismiss was denied. The families look forward to continuing their fight in court," Koskoff said.

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has been criticized for his stance on the lawsuit. Sanders told the New York Daily News that "No, I don't" believe that the victims of gun violence should have the ability to sue the gun manufacturer."

Meanwhile on Tuesday, a judge ruled on releasing the Newtown shooter's thoughts on serial killers.

State police don't have to release documents belonging to Newtown elementary school gunman Adam Lanza that were seized from his home.

Judge Carl Schuman overturned a decision made last year by the state Freedom of Information Commission, which ordered state police to turn over the documents to The Hartford Courant under a public records request. The ruling on Friday was first reported by the Republican-American.

The requested materials included a spreadsheet ranking mass murders and a notebook titled "The Big Book of Granny," which contains a story Lanza wrote in fifth grade about a woman who has a gun in her cane and shoots people and another character who likes hurting people, especially children.

The judge ruled that state law shields from public disclosure all seized property not used in criminal prosecutions.

The judge wrote that his decision would be an important one because it will apply to all future cases in which public disclosure is sought for private personal documents not used in criminal trials that police have seized from victims, witnesses and suspects, including diaries, medical records and phone records.

"Exposure of these items to the public when the state has not seen a need to do so in the criminal case entails a significant invasion of the owner's privacy and interference with his or her property rights," the judge wrote.

The Freedom of Information Commission had ruled that Lanza's belongings were public records and were not exempt from disclosure. State public safety officials and prosecutors appealed the decision to Superior Court.

The executive director of the Freedom of Information Commission, Colleen Murphy, declined to comment on the judge's ruling. She said the commission will consider whether to appeal.

The publisher and editor-in-chief of the Courant, Andrew Julien, said the newspaper is "disappointed in the decision" and is assessing its options.

2. Austinchota

Austinchota Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Inanimate objects do not act on their own.

3. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    That cop should sue his barber.

4. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And I say they still win no money. Just because this judge allows the suit to go forward doesn't mean they have a solid case. They don't.

5. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Bullshit.

6. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Judge Babs?

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  7. Walygatr

Reputations:
    Should people be able to sue champagne companies because their bottles look like they'd fit up your ass?

8. Sloppyjoe

Sloppyjoe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I get that people are upset and pissed about this whole thing, but this is placing blame anywhere they can find it, and it's wrong.

The person responsible is dead. Blame a poor ability of society to weed out wackos or whatever, but this sort of lawsuit starts a bad precedent where people can sue manufacturers of anything for reasons that are out of the realm of control for said manufacturers.

Let's imagine a loved one is a alcoholic and drives off a bridge. Do I file suit against the maker of the alcohol? Can I suit the local state or county for not keeping said car on the bridge and protecting my family member from driving drunk? I suppose I can because now we are placing blame on parties that were not involved in the first place other than selling legal goods.

9. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    That's a girl. :scratch:

Summer likes this.
  10. Walygatr

Reputations:
    You're just saying that because he has tits. Cad.

11. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    :boobs:

Walygatr likes this.
  12. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it's not the fault of a gun maker here

we live in a society that often is of little help to those with mental illnesses
    they have families that are a little out there themselves
    or are simply in over their heads
    or are too embarrassed to deal with it
    and when they look for help they get little

we all wait for these people to cross the line then we send them to prison or the morgue

that's not the fault of a gun maker
    that's the fault of all of us and it's nobody's fault at all( sometimes life is just madness)
    that last line made no sense at all

merry Christmas

Streetfighter likes this.
  13. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    I call her madam Babecita.

BethSucks likes this.
  14. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
    Eventually going to sue all the companies out of our country...that will show them! Fight the power!

15. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    I'm going to sue Ford for my last car accident.

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  16. sumtexan

sumtexan Consentido de Dios Gold

Reputations:
    You're forgetting about suing the marketing companies for promoting the liquor and the auto manufacturer.

ljc likes this.
  17. sumtexan

Reputations:
    What happened?

ljc likes this.
  18. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    I hit a pole in the school parking lot because the car slid on ice. Clearly the fault of Ford.

19. sumtexan

Reputations:
    I agree, it sounds like a brake/steering issue.

LobsterTails likes this.
  20. gitchasum

gitchasum Well-Known Member

Reputations:

I agree the gun manufacturer is not at fault. At the same time I don't see why any civilian should own this type of rifle.