Judge slaps down nyc soda ban

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dusco, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Dusco

Dusco New Member

Reputations:
    state judge today put a cork in City Hall's plans to ban Big Apple restaurants and other venues from selling large sugary drinks -- a bubble-bursting defeat for Mayor Bloomberg, who has made public health a cornerstone of his tenure.

Before the stunning ruling by New York Supreme Court Judge Milton Tingling, restaurants, movie theaters, sports venues, convenience stores and other places regulated by the city's health department would have been prohibited -- starting tomorrow -- from selling sugary drinks of more than 16 ounces.

Judge Tingling said Bloomberg and the Board of Health overstepped their bounds, to enforce rules that should be established by the legislative bodies.
    “The rule would not only violate the separation of powers doctrine, it would eviscerate it,” Tingling wrote. “Such an evisceration has the potential to be more troubling than sugar sweetened drinks.”

Tingling sided with a coalition of store keepers, unions, theater owners and beverage sellers who have been fighting Bloomberg’s ban that was set to go into effect tomorrow.

“It is arbitrary and capricious because it applies to some but not all food establishments in the city, it excludes other beverages that have significantly higher concentrations of sugar sweeteners and/or calories on suspect grounds, and the loopholes inherent in the rule, including but not limited to no limitations on refills, defeat and/or serve to gut the purpose of the rule,” Tingling wrote.

The judge was heard saying in America one should be able to drink 100 oz's of soda if one wants..

read more

2. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Good, take that Faggotberg.

3. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    It was reported earlier that Starbucks had already planned to ignore the regulation.

4. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Another person who can't use the search function and see there's already a thread about this. :facepalm:

5. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    you are aware that in NYS the supreme court is not the highest court? the nys appellate court can still overrule the supreme

6. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Nanny Bloomberg should be impeached from office for pursing this appeal.

7. The Cocksman

The Cocksman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All you fatsos can now relax.

8. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    If Nanny Bloomberg was really concerned about combating the obesity epidemic in our country, he would've taken on all products that have high-fructose corn syrup, the same way the city attacked foods that have transfats. But nooooo. This dumbass chose to focus on one, singular product and you just fucking know at least 50 people in his inner circle and/or legal counsel told him it was fucking stupid and still persisted with it.

Asshole needs to fucking go.

9. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    One of the most ridiculous laws ever. You can get refills.

10. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    How the fuck does this douchebag keep getting reelected? How is this law not some kind of obstruction of free trade?
    Doucheberg is also trying to push this law statewide.

And no, The Cocksmuggler. I'm not fat. Nor do I drink it.

Maybe a ginger ale once in awhile.

11. Dusco

Dusco New Member

Reputations:
    Bloomberg is just a wacko liberal bat that changed to a republican to run. That should not even be allowed.

12. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Cocksmuggler again.

13. Dusco

Dusco New Member

Reputations:
    one reason is he changed his party to run.. you think that is legit ? He is a nut job.

14. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Now they just need to overturn the indoor smoking ban and legalize weed. Get those nightclubs and bars filled with smoke again. Great times.

15. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    No. This douchebag wanted it nationwide and worldwide. He's a fucking megalomaniac.

16. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Heh. Because the city's watering holes are health spas. Never understood that ban on smoking. Set apart a separate section. It only hurts business.

17. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    this is the state where you can do anything you can afford. Bloomie has billions. He personally made the Wall St mess technically possible yet nobody ever links him to it when they whine about it.. He bought the elections. I'm pretty sure he bought his third term in office by offering to fund Christine Quinn's bid to become his successor, and Mayor Dracula will just be his puppet mayor.

18. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    When we go out? I drive about 3-4 miles and drink in Pa. for that very reason. Same place I buy my smokes. Fuck NY.
    I don't need some asshole 13 years older than me telling me what I can consume and in what quantity. I'm not fat, and I don't need a new mommy.
    Besides, the closest place to me to drink in NY has video cameras on the telephone poles watching the local bars.
    Guess who's on the other end of the camera?

19. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, all the places I hang out in in New Hope voluntarily ban smoking.

20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    haha:artiejj:fuck off bloombutt