Junior Seau had a brain disease from head trauma

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by FCCstandards, Jan 10, 2013.

1. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    That's why he killed himself. CTE. I assume "Concussion" something, something.

2. Slappy

Slappy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [h=1]Chronic traumatic encephalopathy[/h]Individuals suffering from CTE may also progress through three stages of the disease; The first stage is characterized by its disturbances and psychotic symptoms. In the second stage of the disease the patient may exhibit erratic behavior, memory loss, and the initial symptoms of Parkinson's disease, such as difficulty with balance and gait.[SUP][8][/SUP] The final stage is dementia as well as symptoms related to Parkinson's disease.

​Very sad.

[h=2][edit][/h]

3. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Saw a doc interviewed on NFL Network this morning who said they have identified genetic traits which make some more vulnerable to such injuries.

4. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Ya that's sad. No one should die from their job.

5. shitcunt

shitcunt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ban football.

6. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    No mention at all in the media relating to any drugs and/or medications that he may possibly have been using/abusing.

........."agendas".

7. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Don't, just don't.

8. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    It's almost inconceivable to me that a man in that state of mind would have the consideration to preserve his brain for study when he took himself out.

9. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    I think his ex-wife signed him up, or he signed up before the fucking terror began. Imagine your brain banging around in your head.

10. slacker

slacker New Member

Reputations:
    Football players willingly sign up to play, full well knowing they are going to destroy their bodies by doing so.... And in the case of the guys that actually make it to the pros, they get paid quite well to do so..

11. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Wasn't he one of those guys that scored single digits on that wonderlic test? If so he may have already been brain damaged. :fil:

12. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I played college football. I still have bodily injuries I deal with, and you are right, they are part of the game. However, no one has signed up for brain damage. In addition, given the relatively few number of games, the team physicians are motivated to keep players on the field (whether they should be there or not).

The average NFL career is 3.5 years. No one should have to live with brain damage for a 3.5 year career.

13. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/s...rd-a-brain-going-bad.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is very sad that an exceptional athlete is basically killed by the sport that made him great. There have been many instances of this in hockey as well, Derek Boogaard, an enforcer in the NHL and supposedly good guy, was traumatized by and eventually committed suicide from CTE. Boston Univ (yes, Howie's alma mater) has set up a center to study the effects of CTE on brains of athletes.

14. slacker

slacker New Member

Reputations:
    Were u a kicker or punter or some shit?.. If u had indeed played college ball you'd know damn well brain injury is a part of the game from pop warner all the way up... You've seen multiple teammates knocked shitless, and you've stepped out on the field with full intention of doing it to other players...

And you'd also know that while coaches will do anything to keep a star player in, its the players themselves that refuse to miss a snap...

15. Howards Wig

Reputations:
    I was MLB and elected to the division all star team 3 years in a row. I worried about my shoulders and my neck, but none of us considered brain damage. Back then the school of thought was "shake it off". Never knowingly had a concussion, and knew how to manage a hit (would never lead with my head, unlike some idiots). I had offers to try out from pro teams but would have been destroyed and got out of the game (knowing my body could not take it.. once again... never dawned on us about the brain at the time... no one talked about long term brain injury... including at the pro levels).

I also played hockey at a high level. Lousy equipment and loved to hit people. However, at the NHL level they changed the red line rule, sped up the game, and monsters are now playing. For both football and hockey, the size and speed of the players have gone beyond what someone can endure hit wise. I mean... back in the day NHLers would not even wear helmets.

For you to insinuate player's expect this and sign up for it is simply not true up to maybe 10 years ago. For today, as a parent, I would not let my kid play football due to the 100% injury rate. Hockey I think is pretty simple until about 14-16, where fighting usually kicks in and players learn how to hit.

Did you ever play at a significant level?

16. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Abandon football. Watch cycling with me! Fewer concussions but a few deaths every year from crashes, often vs cars.

Sport is not safe. If it is, it sucks.

17. Wigless

Wigless Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    just curious if you saw any PED use in college football?

18. Howards Wig

Reputations:
    Of course. In the weight room, they were everywhere.

19. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    • Average NFL player salary: $1.9 million• Median NFL player salary: $770,000
    • Average NFL career length: 3.5 years
    • Number of players on injured reserve in 2010: 352
    • Average NFL player age: 27
    Data: National Football League; National Football League Players Assn.

20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    give it to us in layman's terms