News Jury acquits defendant of felony rape in elite prep school case

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 28, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    931580_1_0828-prep-school-trial-verdict_standard.jpg

A New Hampshire jury acquitted a former high school prep student of felony rape charges in a high-profile case involving issues of consent and troubling traditions at an exclusive private school. Owen Labrie, 19, was found guilty of lesser, misdemeanor sex charges.

Prosecutors charged Labrie with raping a 15-year-old girl in May 2014 during the St. Paul’s School “Senior Salute,” an alleged tradition in which older students try to take underclassmen on dates that sometimes include sex.

Much of the trial centered on what took place during an intimate encounter inside the campus building, as prosecutors and defense attorneys questioned the credibility and consistency of the testimony offered by both sides.

The girl’s family released a statement, read aloud by a spokeswoman to reporters following the verdict, in which they called the jury’s decision “a measure of justice” that holds Labrie “accountable in some way by a jury of his peers for crimes he committed against our daughter.”

“There is no joy in this outcome, however, as our daughter can never get back what she has lost nor can St. Paul’s School ever be our community again,” the statement read.

During emotional testimony, Labrie’s accuser, now 16, said their encounter escalated and she had been raped. She testified she tried to keep her underwear on during the on-campus incident, telling him “no, no, no.” She added: “I didn’t know what else I could do. I already said no… I felt like I was frozen.”

Labrie, who admitted to deleting Facebook messages boasting about the incident, testified that the two had consensual sexual contact but denied they had intercourse, saying that he put on a condom but decided at the last moment not to have sex. “I thought, maybe we shouldn’t do this,” Labrie testifed. His defense team argued the girl willingly participated and he didn’t penetrate her.

The verdict brings an end to a two-week trial in which the elite St. Paul’s School in Concord, N.H. — with an alumni roster that includes former congress members and ambassadors — came under intense scrutiny. Prosecutors described the “Senior Salute” ritual as a long-standing one involving students competing to have sexual encounters with as many people as possible.

St. Paul School Rector Michael G. Hirschfeld said in a statement released after the verdict that the community “has been deeply affected by this incident” and they “commend the remarkable moral courage and strength demonstrated by the young woman who has suffered through this nightmare.”

“Her resolve and unwavering commitment to the truth have been inspiring to us and to many outside our school community,” Hirschfeld said. “We can only hope that time will bring some measure of healing and comfort to both her and her family.”

The jury of nine men and three women reached the decision after deliberating for nearly eight hours. Labrie was found not guilty of aggravated felonious sexual assault and one count of simple assault. He was found guilty of misdemeanor sexual assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

Labrie was also found guilty of illegal computer use, a felony that carries a maximum possible sentence of seven years. He testified during the trial that his plans to attend Harvard on a full scholarship and take divinity classes had been put on hold. Labrie was arrested in July 2014.

Sentencing has been scheduled for Oct. 29.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ant-of-felony-rape-in-elite-prep-school-case/

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  2. alittlebitcunty

alittlebitcunty Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just hope elite prep schools can move on from this ugly incident and get back to work molding the next generation of piece of shit corporate leaders.

3. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...comments in another article i read a lot of people thought this was another case of afluenza. hes facing 3 years in jail, a year for each count he was convicted of. i know he dodged a total of 60 years in prison but i didnt watch the trial so i dont know anything about the case.

Pooh bear likes this.
  4. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Such a shame he can't continue his religious studies. Scumbag.

5. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    any relation to Skylar Labrie?

6. Notfunorfunny

Notfunorfunny I Can Pull It

Reputations:
    I wonder if diligent seasoned prosecutors will look at this and force a retrial. Justice should be blind. Fuck this scumbag prep school boy. Fuck all rapists . Scum

Scarlett Ohara and blindbella like this.
  7. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    The kid was Harvard bound, now he's a registered sex offender.

8. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
  9. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    How did Harvard not pull his acceptance letter?

10. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I would really have to be sure on this before even giving him 3 years for assualt and endangering a welfare of a child.
    It still seems they havent' ruled out with evidence that this could be that she was embarrased by having him, a unattractive geek, brag about having sex with her to guys she really wanted to be with. There is no proof of penetration, there seemed to be no imprisonment or rape, but I haven't read her detailed account. Is it assault if you both are willingly engaging in romantic activities, heavy petting, grinding, the girl stops it and you blow your load on her because you can't just turn it off like a fucking faucet because you are not quite a man yet, it's your first time? I wonder if he didn't brag about this, if she would have came forward. The fact that this is a contained community, prep school, seems to play a role. She had to know about Senor Salute too, if she went there. Everyone makes bad choices but I don't know if sending this guy to prison because she made bad choices is something I would do as a juror. It's a fucking mind field out there.

Kilroy and DiamondGoddess like this.
  11. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Harry Potter is no Bill Cosby.

12. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    How long before the made for TV movie comes out?

13. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    These are the exact guys making social apps like Twitter and Facebook, guys that don't know to interact with other human beings in real life.

Truth is fucking stranger than fiction.

14. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    Here have some Butterbeer....

aquadog and Walygatr like this.
  15. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I knew people who went to those "elite" prep schools. They were all fucked in the head.
    But that's just my opinion. :)

16. MadWoman777

MadWoman777 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's on Lifetime tonight -- "Not Without My Hymen."

17. Summer

Summer Shed Punisher VIP

Reputations:
    He looks like he has no testosterone at all. Or lips.

DiamondGoddess and dawg like this.
  18. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    You're not real familiar with our legal concepts of double jeopardy and actual trials deciding guilt or innocence, are you?

Kilroy, Trainwreckjm and Tovahund like this.
  19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Was she a little whore?
    [​IMG]

Rabid Dogman and Pelicanman like this.
  20. Summer

Summer Shed Punisher VIP

Reputations:
    Divinity School :facepalm:

Scarlett Ohara likes this.