Just bought property in Detroit...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Beth143nacho, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    So I took a bundle of cash thy ice been saving up and joined a cooperative that's buying land in Detroit... Holy shit can you get a huge deal there if you're hooked up the right way. Homes are commonly selling for $1, but are packed full of hidden fees. One of the other coop members is a retired construction services company owner, so they raze the lot and backfill the foundation at cost... The only major liability is the tax burden....

1 acre in Detroit is literally running $1 for the house/land, about $10k for the razing and $4k/yr taxes... Gonna be great once the city is bailed out...

The only problem is... The city is sooooo fucked up. I'm wondering if I can ever be fixed.

2. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    bailed out :jj:

3. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    $4,000 per year in taxes for a vacant lot? What kind of services is that vacant lot using from the city?

I hate to burst your bubble, but you just threw away $4,000 per year to keep welfare rats in Cheerios. How is that "an investment" if you spend $10,000 up front and lose $4,000 every year? Are you expecting the property to someday be worth hundreds of dollars?

I have a house worth $450,000 and I don't pay that much in property taxes. It appreciated in value about $30,000 last year (off some lows, admittedly).

Nowhere in the history of mankind has a "plan" to destroy things and return them to grade been a "strategy." For some reason, Detroit thinks eliminating things qualifies as a plan.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;I-_uX2ZfqRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_uX2ZfqRI[/video]

5. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sounds like buying swamp land to me. No offense

6. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    Swamp land doesn't carry a $4,000 annual tax bill.

Sorry Nacho, that was an incredible waste of money. The only way those deals work is if you're buying hundreds of properties, leveling them, and building a CASH PRODUCING ASSET. A factory. A strip mall. An apartment complex.

Will Detroit ever be worth anything? Let's be honest. It's full of the ghetto culture, run by crooks, and devoid of any real industry. There is no time in the next 20 years where Detroit will have any value.

7. SEGA

SEGA Permanent Vacation VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

8. Eton Twots

Eton Twots Member

Reputations:
    If I was going to do it, I'd buy an acre and turn it into a parking lot. Rent out a shuttle bus that takes people to the Tigers/Lions games. 81 Tigers home games a year and 8 Lions home games. You figure you could get 30-40 cars in an acre lot. Charge, say, $20 to park and $5 per head to catch a ride on the shuttle. That's some nice income. Also can figure in events at the Fox theater. Not sure how much property is available within a mile of the stadiums, but it's an interesting concept. I don't know shit about real estate and business but that's just my idea.

9. P3ndula

P3ndula Member

Reputations:
    RT also did a recent report about a mini revival in Detroit. Wasn't paying too much attention but something about IT companies setting up shop there because commercial real estate prices are at rock bottom.

10. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    4K a yr tax on a backfilled lot?

:facepalm:

11. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    OK, let's go through what would really happen if you did that:

1) Your property tax bill would skyrocket as it's now a business.
    2) The city would figure out how to charge you an event tax.
    3) The rainwater from your parking lot would need to be controlled, so you would need to hook into the city sewer. Connection tax and ongoing use tax.
    4) You would need to hire union bus drivers, and contribute heavily to their underfunded pensions.
    5) You would need to hire security to collect parking fees and watch the cars, because the Trayvons would be on that parking lot like white on rice.
    6) The security people will steal your cash.
    7) You'll need to pay for insurance. And I'm sure that costs a fortune in that crime zone.
    8) And I won't get into all of the payoffs you'll need to make to corrupt officials.

I figure instead of losing $4,000 per year, you'll lose $100,000 per year.

12. Wigward Hairhat

Wigward Hairhat Active Member

Reputations:
    For this particular job you're gonna need this guy.

[​IMG]

13. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:

How the hell is your tax bill less than 4K on a 450K house? Are your schools shit?

14. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    I tried to buy a few adjoining vacant lots in a shitty neighborhood in the 90's, they were owned by the city. I was told they werent for sale, for ANY price. I tried again a few years later and offered more than the appraised/assessed value, I was again turned away. Fast forward two years, I took a ride passed and saw new construction taking place. The contractor had ties to the local alderman and mayor at the time. :cuss:

15. Eton Twots

Eton Twots Member

Reputations:

Gut punch. No you are 100% correct.

16. Ruffypup

Ruffypup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  17. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Thinking big VIP

Reputations:
    Detroit is not going to get bailed out.

18. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

19. Walrus

Walrus Active Member VIP

Reputations:

Is this area even zoned to be a business? You may have to add in bribing the council men and women into agreeing to change the zoning in that area.

Unless you can buy hundreds of acres and turn them into farmland I think you got a bad deal. I agree with Wigward, you are going to need RoboCop for this.

20. zerokarma

zerokarma Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Detroit is a shit hole that will never recover, at least not in any of our lifetimes.

It should just be returned to nature or farm land. Bulldoze all remaining abandoned houses and structures. Scrap whatever can be scrapped. End all remaining services there and just be done with it.