Just called Sirius, they will not offer anything retain as subscriber

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, May 1, 2012.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My sub is up on May 5th. I told them Howard is off all the time. My total bill is $213.50. I offered to pay $100 for the year. They refused to negotiate off the $213.50. I told them I would probably cancel online rather than call customer service and wait 20 minutes. The best the guy would do is offer me a $10 credit. He let me hang up the phone without offering anything better. I said to him is that your final offer and he said Sirius has no current promotions to offer discounts and let me hang up. He wouldn't even connect me to a supervisor. Any suggestions.

2. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    I think you did it wrong. If you had said right away that you were simply canceling, they would have sent you directly to the "retentions" department where they would have sucked your genitals for under $100.

Or so I understand. (Could be way off on this.)

3. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You shouldn't have made your offer to pay $100 for the year. Call back because chances are you will not get the same person and just tell them you want to cancel and see what happens.

4. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...yeah i have a suggestion, just cancel.

5. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    I told the customer care guy I was going to cancel. They know I can cancel online. Why would you let a customer who's sub is up on May 5th hang up the phone knowing there is a good chance they are going to cancel. I think the word came down from Mel let people leave if they want. They have too many subs now for a few disgruntled customers to leave. They are not worried about churn. They have a monopoly and they know it.

6. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    I still think you're reading too much into your one incident, and that if you had actually called in order to cancel (rather than merely threaten to do so online later) they would have transferred you to an appropriate dick sucking representative. Just a guess though.

7. nazdrowie

nazdrowie Sultan of Sweat Gold

Reputations:
    no, this is exactly how it went down when I called to "cancel" 3 months ago. came out of it paying $75 for one year.

8. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...ok start over and this time stop thinking of them as customer service. they dont care they think their too big to worry about 1 person. im looking forward to the day they go the way of aol. theyll be giving away free radios and free connections have have to survive on advertisers because they have 'great content'.

9. Broken Window

Broken Window Member

Reputations:
    Cancel and torrent the show. So what if you're a day behind. At least you'd get a Friday show back, sometimes.

10. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am surprised that your yard sale price negotiation didn't work .... ;)

11. monsoon

monsoon Who are you with?

Reputations:
    I pay $29.99 for 6 mos. Let it lapse. They will beg you to stay..........

Fuck Mutt:fuck:

12. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    I just called them back ended up paying for 1 year, $140.85 total including all taxes, fees and Internet. I know I could have kept going back and forth and cancelled. I just don't have the time to keep calling. It's Bullshit you have to go through this to get a discount. Next year I'm just calling to say I cancel.

13. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish The Slow Adult VIP

Reputations:
    I do that and I'm still back in May 2011 :D I haven't listened for a couple of weeks now, I don't think I'll catch up until after he fully retires.

14. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Call the US #(888) 635-5142 and tell them you love the service(don't mention Howard) but due to the poor economy you just can't afford it anymore and you have to cancel. Trust me they'll give you a better deal.

This works on the cable company too.

15. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    At which point you'll get your $60 or $75 offer. I don't understand why you didn't just do that now, but glad you're happy....

16. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    If you can handle missing the AGT talk for a couple weeks, (takes will power, I know) just fuckin' cancel. All kinds of promotions seem to become available. Strange huh?

17. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...theres a stream for h101 24/7. or so ive heard.

18. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This might sound hard to believe right now, but you probably won't get $140 of value out of your sub in the next 12 months. You'll probably listen less and less, then a cord will snap or something and you won't bother to go to Target to get another one. It happened to me, it happened to Peau, it happened to lots of other guys, and it will continue to happen. Such a shame for a once promising service

19. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    Subscribing to Sirius is like buying a used car. When I called Comcast to cancel to switch to Verizon Fios 2 years ago Comcast offered me nothing. I cancelled and they didn't even try to retain me. No phone calls, no mail offers. Just a thank you note for being a Comcast subscriber. With TV and Internet I was spending $200 a month. I had the total channel package. The cable companies operate totally differently than Sirius.
    You would think with a choice of DirectTV, Dish, Verizon and Comcast they would be fighting tooth and nail to keep subscribers. They don't. They offer great deals to new subscribers but they don't give a shit about current subscribers.

20. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    FYI the "call to cancel and get a great new offer" technique is (or at least was) used by smart DirecTV subscribers all the time. (I always thought it was a kind of shitty tactic so I never did it, but I'm a sucker.) Some companies just seem to have hard-core AOL-style "retention" departments and others don't.