Just called the WUS

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Axeman32, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Axeman32

Axeman32 Active Member

Reputations:
    asked the poor intern who has to screen for this lather fest to "speak with marci turk". He hung up, then I couldn't get through again. Just wanted to have a civil conversation with Jon and Gary about the demise of the show....For a group that has prank called for years, for them to hang up and then have my calls go to vm seems shows how thin skinned and aware of this titanic

2. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    Bunch'a fags.

3. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Maybe call sirius instead and ask for the Turk.

If you get her voice mail, let her have it!

Oh, and mention the Shed to her!

4. Wainegro

Wainegro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WAIT UNTIL YOU READ THIS SUCKFEST HORSESHIT DIATRIBE:
    HOW TO CALL THE HOWARD STERN SHOW A fan blog by Joe Howes (aka RjakActual on Reddit)
    I've never called in to the show, but I felt like posting something about callers.
    Howard has some GREAT callers, but I think some callers who COULD be great screw up their chance because of a few simple mistakes.
    I'm no expert, but I really feel that avoiding these simple caller mistakes, which obviously annoy Howard, can increase your chances of making a great call:
    1) Get to the point IMMEDIATELY: "Long time/first time" is interesting to one person in the universe -- you. No one else cares.
    2) I repeat .... get to the point IMMEDIATELY. Don't waste your valuable up-front time with "Hey Howard!!", or "How ya doin' Howard!!", or "Hello? Hello? Howard???". If the mood is right, shoot him a quick "Hey now" and then get to the point. It's probably confusing being in the queue and then suddenly BAM you're on the air, but just talk. If you're not on the air, no one will know, because you're not on the air.
    3) Use a reliable phone. Make sure you call in using a line you've previously tested with other people. You might call people all the time and hear them clearly, but that means THEY have a good line, not you. You have to ask people "Am I dropping out? Can you hear me? Is there static?" You have to be proactive these days about verifying your call quality.NOTE: u/thedevilsdictionary gave the number of an echo line you can call (I verified it works) to hear back your own call quality: 909-390-0003.
    4) If you want to talk about yourself, make sure your story is VERY interesting, and make sure the story can be told, with the interest maximized, in under 20 seconds. If there are details you want to include but don't need to include, leave them out. Howard is a grand master ninja interviewer, give him a reason to dig deeper and find out more.
    5) Know that some of the best callers say one or two sentences and then drop out. They know the show, they know Howard, and they simply bring up a conversation point they know Howard will run with. Wack packers get to avoid most of these rules because they're interesting. If you're just a regular caller, a short contribution can be AWESOME.
    6) If you've piqued Howard's interest and he's talking, SHUT THE F*CK UP. Don't talk over him, and don't make him turn down your volume.
    This can be tough, because I'm sure once you're on the air, your excitement gets the better of you, especially new callers. You have to resist that shit. Howard doesn't hang up on interesting callers.
    If he's talking about what you said, YOU'VE WON. Hang on, wait for a pause to interject again, wait for him to ask you something.
    Maybe I'm out of line because I've never called, but as a listener, callers who avoid these mistakes are my favorite.

yaddc, Bye You!, Rockside7 and 2 others like this.
  5. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What are you saying..?

6. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My number is actually on like a ban list that comes up in caller ID.

How many busy signals did you get after you got through?

Mulletude, yaddc, propagandhi and 5 others like this.
  7. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Do you mind if I re-format your post?
    It's an interesting read.

Here goes -
    from @Wainegro

WAIT UNTIL YOU READ THIS SUCKFEST HORSESHIT DIATRIBE:

HOW TO CALL THE HOWARD STERN SHOW
    A fan blog by Joe Howes (aka RjakActual on Reddit)

I've never called in to the show, but I felt like posting something about callers.

Howard has some GREAT callers, but I think some callers who COULD be great screw up their chance because of a few simple mistakes.

I'm no expert, but I really feel that avoiding these simple caller mistakes, which obviously annoy Howard, can increase your chances of making a great call:

1) Get to the point IMMEDIATELY: "Long time/first time" is interesting to one person in the universe -- you. No one else cares.

2) I repeat .... get to the point IMMEDIATELY. Don't waste your valuable up-front time with "Hey Howard!!", or "How ya doin' Howard!!", or "Hello? Hello? Howard???". If the mood is right, shoot him a quick "Hey now" and then get to the point. It's probably confusing being in the queue and then suddenly BAM you're on the air, but just talk. If you're not on the air, no one will know, because you're not on the air.

3) Use a reliable phone. Make sure you call in using a line you've previously tested with other people. You might call people all the time and hear them clearly, but that means THEY have a good line, not you. You have to ask people "Am I dropping out? Can you hear me? Is there static?" You have to be proactive these days about verifying your call quality.NOTE: u/thedevilsdictionary gave the number of an echo line you can call (I verified it works) to hear back your own call quality: 909-390-0003.

4) If you want to talk about yourself, make sure your story is VERY interesting, and make sure the story can be told, with the interest maximized, in under 20 seconds. If there are details you want to include but don't need to include, leave them out. Howard is a grand master ninja interviewer, give him a reason to dig deeper and find out more.

5) Know that some of the best callers say one or two sentences and then drop out. They know the show, they know Howard, and they simply bring up a conversation point they know Howard will run with. Wack packers get to avoid most of these rules because they're interesting. If you're just a regular caller, a short contribution can be AWESOME.

6) If you've piqued Howard's interest and he's talking, SHUT THE F*CK UP. Don't talk over him, and don't make him turn down your volume.
    This can be tough, because I'm sure once you're on the air, your excitement gets the better of you, especially new callers. You have to resist that shit. Howard doesn't hang up on interesting callers.
    If he's talking about what you said, YOU'VE WON. Hang on, wait for a pause to interject again, wait for him to ask you something.

Maybe I'm out of line because I've never called, but as a listener, callers who avoid these mistakes are my favorite.

yaddc, Xent, Bye You! and 3 others like this.
  8. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

9. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Pooh bear, Bye You! and Senator Rick like this.
  10. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
  11. Wainegro

Wainegro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't mind at all, in fact-thank you!

Bye You! and Senator Rick like this.
  12. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gary and Hein have been noticeably more aggressive lately in cutting off callers the second they mention anything about Howard that could be even remotely critical or controversial. A person will call in and say they have a comment and a question but they don't even finish the comment before the host cuts them off and says "OK, I get what you're saying!", then pretends the caller was saying something complimentary (when it wasn't) or deflects the conversation to something else. Certain subjects, like Artie and criticisms of Howard's interviews, seem to be especially sensitive

13. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You should have said "That Claire Danes interview was amazing. I have been a fan of her's for years and this was easily the best interview of her I have ever heard. Howard is the best interviewer on the planet. I just want to tell that to Gary and Jon". They would have put you right through to get on the air. You gotta know how to play the game. Sell them on a fake Howard ass kissing topic to get on the air and then say what you want when you get on the air.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    dexterdog, Petal, John Mahlin and 8 others like this.
  14. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
  15. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    They have "evolved".

16. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
  17. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You'd probably get right through if you claimed to be the publicist of Delta Burke.

18. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

I want to punch whoever wrote this.

Petal, Caffeinated, Snort and 3 others like this.
  19. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
  20. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    :puke: