Just Out of Curiosity: How Many Lost Programs & Channels this Week?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ClumpyStern, Aug 15, 2015.

1. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    I'd like to look into a class action suit against Sirius for putting us in the position of losing programs and channels that are supposed to be within our pre-paid subscriptions unless we purchase new Sirius equipment. Who else lost content (like Jay Thomas on 94) because you use older receivers?

2. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    God I'm happy I cancelled back at the end of the first contract. What a piece of crap company.

3. jr7543

jr7543 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bye, Jay! My Sirius One doesn't get Ch. 94. Count me in.

4. FlatTimmy

FlatTimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know about now. But, at one point, weren't they offering to swap out old radios for new at no additional expense if you complained about things like that? I know they tried to get me to switch over because my Calypso and S-50 have fairly powerful FM modulators. Non-subscribers began complaining to the FCC about frequency bleed into other cars not long after Howard started at Sirius. At the time there wasn't much the FCC could do. The devices were legal (I vaguely remember XM getting into trouble over one of theirs). But the merger gave the commission an opportunity to step in. I think getting rid of as many radios with modulators as possible was an FCC imposed condition on its approval of the merger. I never bit. I love that I can play my radios all over the house (the Calypso can even reach a few doors down). You just have to know to set the frequency to one that's not in use in your area. That's the mistake most people made with them. They never bothered to change the broadcast frequency from the default, which was usually 88.1 (an active frequency where I live).

RonHeinzkaboot likes this.
  5. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, but I bet you still get Howard 102 - all kinds of stuff on that channel. And he's still got more ideas in the notebook.

6. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    One of the shittiest companies in existence. They were a day away from bankruptcy when Malone bailed them out and then the top execs paid themselves 100's of millions in bonuses, nine months later. It's a Ponzi scheme with the subscribers at the lowest rung.

7. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wow, I didn't even know I couldn't get 94 until I saw this thread. Didn't have time to listen to Jay this week and just assumed I could get it, usually it's just the higher numbers (above 184) my receiver can't get. Normally they transmit an update when a channel is added/deleted and it works fine. I'm not interested in getting a new radio either, I have 2 Xact Visors (only keep one active at a time) that I've had since the beginning and have really strong FM transmitters. I can use my FM headset to listen when I'm out in the yard, mowing the lawn, or even walking the dog a good distance down the road. I wouldn't pay a cent just to listen to Howard but I've kept Sirius because I like Jay Thomas and the news channels and I never pay more than $5 a month (I always hold out until they give me the 5/$20 or 6/$25 deal). My sub comes up for renewal next month, not sure if I'll keep it now.

FlatTimmy likes this.
  8. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Every time they do something like this it reminds me of when Mel Karmazin was on Howard's show talking about the merger. He suggested that all the programming would be available on both platforms without having to buy a new radio, Sirius subscribers would get MLB, and there could be a lower-priced option to get Howard only. None of that turned out to be true.

9. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    They got rid of the elevator music channel and replaced it with one that plays boombox spanish street shit. What a company is right :facepalm:

10. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
    They cut his show back to four days a week (no Fri Best Of) and eliminated all the weekly/WE replays. Unless you have an Internet sub so you can access the OnDemand shows you're SOL if you can't catch the JT SAT show live. It's pretty obvious that no one at SXM gives a rats ass about the JTS.

RonHeinzkaboot and BethSucks like this.
  11. abbypark2225

abbypark2225 Active Member

Reputations:
    I have an S50 and quit using it years ago because I couldn't get it to work using 88.1. Called Sirius and was told it didn't have the FM modulator, or whatever its called. Was there another model S50? I bought mine before HSS even started. Thanks.

12. NiggalissCage

NiggalissCage Well-Known Member

Reputations:

I take it that they never implemented a la carte programming either, like they promised when they merged.

FlatTimmy likes this.
  13. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Its just not worth the money. You are paying for shit you would not listen to for free. I remember when people worked 5 days a week now you pay and they go 3 and 4 day weeks. Fuck you to paying

FlatTimmy and BethSucks like this.
  14. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ah, the S50. The big product push at the start of the revolution.

FlatTimmy, BethSucks and abbypark2225 like this.
  15. FlatTimmy

FlatTimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity, when did you call them? I know that when Howard first started, they were so overwhelmed that they had to enlist employees who knew absolutely nothing about the products as customer service reps. As far as I know there was only one S-50. But the units don't come with the modulator on. You have to turn it on yourself. I think the default frequency for them was 88.1. But you could set it to anything you wanted. Now that I'm thinking of it, you might have had to have the Vehicle Dock (car kit) for the modulator to work. If you had the home kit or the executive system (boom box), the modulator may not have been available. I think the modulator was in the dock itself, not the player. So if you had one of the other docks, you may have been out of luck. But I thought the S-50 came with the vehicle dock and the other docks were separate accessories.

16. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    have you tried calling and explaining you have to cancel because your receiver stopped working? they might offer you a free new one to keep you..

RonHeinzkaboot likes this.
  17. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
    The premium channels were never going to be included in the less expensive a la carte subs. They did introduce the a la carte subs but I doubt a lot of people signed up for them.

http://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages

18. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Never subscribed, ever. Haha suckers.

19. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    Nothing to cancel because I'm pre-paid lifetime. I argued with the highest "supervisor" that I could get (3 different times) that their choice to move channels without testing to make sure they were available to old equipment shouldn't be my problem and that I'm not asking for a replacement for an "out of warranty" radio because it still works perfectly. If Ch 94 is in my subscription plan and it's not receivable on my working Sirius radio, that's their responsibility to fix at their expense. They "understand" my concern but the best they can do is $79.99 for a new radio. I didn't even ask about waiving the $75 transfer fee because I didn't want to give them any reason to think that I was open to buying the fucking radio. I've already made an inquiry with a firm that handles class actions, which is why I started this thread to find out how many class members I can find right here.

Scarlett Ohara and FlatTimmy like this.
  20. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    well i wish you good luck. i think most class-action lawsuits take a long time to resolve. the ones i've seen only seem to make money for the lawyers, and even then only after a few years.

FlatTimmy likes this.