Entertainment Just Saw Vacation

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Droog, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It was really entertaining. The new one managed to keep the charm of the old one while having enough new to keep it fresh. It wasn't as good as the original, but I would put it ahead of the sequels. The cast was good and there was a lot of adult humor. Don't take your kids to this one.

2. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
  3. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    You'd put it ahead of Christmas Vacation, Droog?? :eek:

GCD1, gnarly barkley, aquadog and 2 others like this.
  4. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
  5. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Quick question for OP...did you think the trailer for the movie was funny?

I ask because I thought it looked horrible from the 3 minute preview.

6. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Never even knew they were remaking this. Looking forward to watching this when it comes out for download on the internet. You know through Netlfix or something like that...

7. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Vacation. Terminator. Jurassic World. Max Mad. Star Wars. Poltergeist.

Hollywood is truly out of ideas.

8. Droog

Reputations:
    I think so. Although, Christmas vacation is a classic. I'd have to watch the new one several times to see if it holds up to multiple viewings. What I liked is that it was played straight - just like the original. Oddball stuff keeps happening and they just march ahead. Rusty is very much like his dad was.

9. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Well, will have to watch it then.

10. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Same.

Shadoe Stevens likes this.
  11. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, just checked Rotten Tomatoes... 28%.
    Kinda figured.

12. Droog

Reputations:
    Don't remember the trailer. I did see it long ago and thought they didn't need to make another Vacation. I try not to watch trailers because they give away too much. They showed a preview to a Matt Damon space movie coming out that left no questions about the plot. We saw the whole damn movie in a few minutes.

What Vacation's trailer didn't capture was the heart the movie had. It was much like the original. I do wish they had stayed with a few of the gags longer. The visit to Audry's was short lived and could have had more to it. There was more funny to be had there. Same with Chevy Chase's and Beverly D'Angelo's appearance. It was setup nicely and I would have liked more time spent with them. I don't want to give away the gags though.

13. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    I read a horrible review of the new movie that touched on a few things I felt about the original:

The original 1983 National Lampoon’s Vacation is a classic because deep down, it’s essentially a sweet movie. For everything that goes wrong on that trip, the movie (and director Harold Ramis in particular) have a legitimate love for Clark Griswold’s doomed attempts to bond with his family: The movie’s heart is always in the right place, a fractured fable about how our attempts to manufacture the Perfect Family Dynamic tend to disguise what’s truly great about our stupid, dysfunctional families in the first place. It’s also anchored by some terrific gags that might be even more off-color today than they were back then. Imagine how “problematic” Clark forgetting to untie that dog from the bumper would be in 2015. (“Poor little guy. Probably kept up with you for a mile or so.”) Not to mention the dead Grandma on the roof. “You want me to strap her to the hood? She’ll be fine. It’s not as if it’s going to rain or something.” I’m sorry, but that’s funny.

Vacation—the new remake, or sequel, or whatever—takes the wrong lesson from the original. As funny as those bits with the dog and the Grandma are, they work because the rest of the movie is coated in that cracked sweetness and ultimate respect for just how insane Clark will go to make his family happy. This new film is coated in something far more foul. Rather than putting a spin on the family comedy, this thing just doubles down on the crude, attempting to out-disgust the original and ... well, that’s it. Any sweetness is tossed out the window, any goodwill toward this family is gone. This is just about topping the scenes with the dog and the Grandma with every possible gross-out gag the filmmakers can muster. You name it, it’s in here, from a hot-springs bath in raw sewage to a hotel bathroom with the dried blood of a recent suicide on the wall to a pedophile trucker to a seemingly unceasing number of jokes about erections. (This movie is really into erections. I counted six, three short of a starting MLB lineup of erections.) This is less a Vacation sequel than a Hangover sequel. And if you’ve even seen any of the Hangover sequels, you know that is bad news indeed.

Rusty Griswold, one of the kids from the first Vacation (played by a young Anthony Michael Hall in the original, different actors in every sequel, and now Ed Helms as a grownup) has become a boring, rote husband who decides to recreate his father’s infamous trip to Wally World with his own wife (Christina Applegate, as usual, the funniest person in a movie that doesn’t seem to realize she’s the funniest person in the movie) and his two sons. Of course, everything goes wrong like it did last time, only more grotesquely so. The movie follows a monotonous structure, with just one disaster set piece after another, to the point that the trip feels less like a quixotic journey and more like a purposeful death wish. None of this leads to anywhere all that interesting: Even Rusty’s decision to go to Wally World—the place where his father lost his mind, took a security guard hostage, and committed several felonies—goes curiously unexplored. The movie just works a series of fiascos that don’t so much top each other as much as just sort of flop around next to each other. It’s the sort of movie that’s so proud of how far it’s willing to go for a joke that it forgets to make any of the jokes funny.

Ed Helms is a perfectly fine Rusty, I guess, but he lacks the fundamental madness that Chevy Chase brought to the role; as obnoxious and irritating as Chase can be, I’d argue he was never better than he was in the Vacation movies. Helms is less an obsessive family man than he is a total boob: He’s so neutered and ineffectual that the surprise is less that he is a boring father and more that he ever found someone to have sex with him in the first place.

But the real sign that this Vacation doesn’t quite know what it’s doing is how it wastes all its supporting talent, a list of comedic luminaries like Charlie Day, Ron Livingston, Keegan Michael-Key, Nick Kroll, Tim Heidecker, Kaitlin Olson, Michael Pena, and Leslie Mann, with nary a laugh among them. (Day is particularly unfunny here, moreso for how hard he’s trying.)

The Lifeless Vacation Reboot Is All Bowels And No Heart
    http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-lifeless-vacation-reboot-is-all-bowels-and-no-heart-1720391140

jackieavenger likes this.
  14. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    Please tell me you saw applegates tits

15. funnymoney

funnymoney Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This looked like a disaster from the first trailer. Like a mix between, "Hey, remember this part from the first movie?" and dated gross out schtick. I can't imagine this being good.

GCD1 likes this.
  16. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    I was hoping they recreated Beverly D'Angelo's shower scene :D

DrSublux and Shadoe Stevens like this.
  17. Droog

Reputations:
    The movie went from an October release to July after test audiences rated it favorably. This from a studio that was hesitant to even make the film. The studio wanted a PG13 rating and the filmmakers wanted an R and got their way.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/vacatio...s-mission-impossible-rogue-nation-1201401599/
    So why the move to the crowded weekend? The first two films in the original franchise, 1983’s Vacation and 1985’s European Vacation, bowed in the final weekend of July. In addition, I hear the test scores for the Helms’ version of Vacation are great.

18. Droog

Reputations:
    How can we? She chopped them off in a preemptive battle against breast cancer.

JRoyle411 likes this.
  19. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    implants :dontknow:

20. Droog

Reputations:
    When have critics ever been kind to comedies? They hated Happy Gilmore and loved Royal Tenenbaums. Sunshine Cleaning wasn't funny and scored higher on Rotten Tomatoes. It even scored higher than Kingpin, which scored 50%.