Just when i was starting to like Texas

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Texas boy suspended for saying he could make classmate ‘disappear’ with ‘Lord of the Rings’ sorcery
    The ring little Aiden brought to school may not have been the true ring of power, but it had enough controversy to get him suspended from a Kermit, Texas, school.
    BY Nicole Hensley
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Saturday, January 31, 2015, 9:19 PM
    [​IMG] Courtesy Jason Steward This is the third and strangest suspension for Aiden Steward, 9, pictured on the right with a sibling, at the Texas school district.
    Tolkien lore led a Texas boy to suspension after he brought his “one ring” to school.

Kermit Elementary School officials called it a threat when the 9-year-old boy, Aiden Steward, in a playful act of make-believe, told a classmate he could make him disappear with a ring forged in fictional Middle Earth’s Mount Doom.

“It sounded unbelievable,” the boy’s father, Jason Steward, told the Daily News. He insists his son “didn’t mean anything by it.”

The Stewards had just watched “The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies” days earlier, inspiring Aiden’s imagination and leading him to proclaim that he had in his possession the one ring to rule them all.

“Kids act out movies that they see. When I watched Superman as a kid, I went outside and tried to fly,” Steward said.

[​IMG]
    Aiden and his family had just seen 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,' which led to his playful declaration that he too had magical powers.
    Aiden claimed Thursday he could put a ring on his friend's head and make him invisible like Bilbo Baggins, who stole Gollum’s "precious" in J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy series “The Lord of the Rings.”

“I assure you my son lacks the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend’s existence,” the boy's father later wrote in an email. "If he did, I'm sure he'd bring him right back."

Principal Roxanne Greer declined to comment on the fourth-grader’s suspension, citing confidentiality policies, according to the Odessa American, who first reported Aiden’s troubles Friday.

The family moved to the Kermit Independent School District only six months ago, but it’s been nothing but headaches for Aiden. He’s already been suspended three times this school year.

[​IMG] Google Kermit Elementary School in Texas suspended a 9-year-old student for saying he could make his friend disappear with a magical ring of invisibility.
    Two of the disciplinary actions this year were in-school suspensions for referring to a classmate as black and bringing his favorite book to school: "The Big Book of Knowledge."

“He loves that book. They were studying the solar system and he took it to school. He thought his teacher would be impressed,” Steward said.

But the teacher learned the popular children’s encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy, depicting a pregnant woman in an illustration, he explained.

x76 likes this.
  2. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
  3. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    Fuck that school. Uptight assholes.

I hope that principle has kids that really disappear cause they get snatched at a bus stop. Let him get fucked in the ass by reality so he doesn't worry about bullshit like this.

x76 and babybear like this.
  4. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    thats disappointing

instead of using it as an opportunity to teach, they squelch a young kids imagination

x76, John Mahlin, reno and 2 others like this.
  5. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    Fuck yeah.

They should be having those kids read Lord of the Rings. It isn't spoon fed to you. You have to envision huge stretch of time and space. That book could help expand a kids mind.

Angry Arab and x76 like this.
  6. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Suspended for bringing a book to school? Since it wasn't the pop-up version of the Kama Sutra, that needs some more explanation.

kingship and x76 like this.
  7. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it's gotten surreal.
    i hope the district is as strict with the troublemakers as they are with this boy.

AuntDolly and BethSucks like this.
  8. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    Ok, I was totally on the parents'/kid's side until I read that he's already been suspended 3 times since this school yr started. As crazy as school admins have to be these days about taking "threats" and disruptive behavior from students seriously, it takes a lot to actually suspend an elementary-aged kid. And 3 times? There is something more up here methinks and they are working on documenting everything so they can either 1. Get him special help the parents might be refusing or 2. Get him to a more appropriate educational environment for his needs.

9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Kermit, Texas, birthplace of Jay Thomas!

x76, AuntDolly and ARM like this.
  10. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Two of the disciplinary actions this year were in-school suspensions for referring to a classmate as black and bringing his favorite book to school: "The Big Book of Knowledge."

I think i'm still with the kid

But the teacher learned the popular children’s encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy, depicting a pregnant woman in an illustration, he explained.---lol

I'm still with the kid

Angry Arab, x76, Pooh bear and 2 others like this.
  11. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    Oh, I just glanced at the article, didn't read carefully. ISS is very different. Ok, my new theory is his teacher just doesn't like him and probably has no business teaching. :bounce:

Big Bad Booey and ARM like this.
  12. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    how are kids(and this seems like a great kid) supposed to trust moral guidance from adults, when they see the adults act like retards.
    a kids world is confusing enough already.

ARM and John Mahlin like this.
  13. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My father made me an M1 carbine out of wood when I was a kid. I took it to school for show and tell. If I did it today, the school would be on lock down and my father would be in jail for child abuse. they used to let kids be kids, now everything is for the "safety" of the children. Glad I'm not a kid today.

x76, AuntDolly and Stag like this.
  14. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    And that frog from the Muppets.

x76 likes this.
  15. they're at it again

they're at it again Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Was it An African American School district ????? We all know how dangerous acting like whitey is.

x76 likes this.
  16. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Everyone when i was a kid had a cap gun, and somehow we grew up allright

[​IMG]

TeeDonkey, x76, Stag and 1 other person like this.
  17. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's not just Texas, "zero tolerance" policies adopted by most school districts leaves no room for common sense anymore.

Once again, I blame the lawyers.

18. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Look at Hollywood... We mock American heroes like Chris Kyle, but praise violent action flicks...

19. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What's this "we" crap.

Speak for yourself dipshit.

How is that for sharing my feelings?;)

20. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Doctors should just start cutting of kids' thumbs when they're born, so they can't imitate having a gun