just wondering what you guys thought about alternative cancer treatments

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dlist, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  2. Apple the cat

Apple the cat Moral conscience of the Shed

Reputations:
    Good luck in your search, Dlist. Cancer, being a word that strikes fear into most people, has created masses of charlatans and their false "alternative" cures meant to do nothing more than lighten one's wallet. Have you tried JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Assn.) in your research? There have been studies of alternative treatments for many things written there, possibly there's something on cancer.

Dlist likes this.
  3. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Honestly, I'm not sure if there's anything, anyone can do .... :depressed:

4. landfill

landfill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Like what? Shoving coffee up your ass? I guess it depends on how fast you want to die. I personally would find the best Hospital/Cancer clinic/Cancer Center in my area and/or doctor.

[​IMG]

5. iceguy

iceguy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think that you'll find any 1 site that will state recovery rates for patients, at least from my experience and all of the research I've done. I can only tell you that for my wife, we went completely "alternative" and it worked. I've had some friends that went "alternative" after conventional treatment had failed. They were successful as well.

6. Acid

Acid Shat Dead

Reputations:
    Most homeopathic and alternative therapies are bullshit, many so called remissions and minor successes from such treatments can be 'psychsomatic/placebo' effect.

If i get cancer, fuck radiotherapy, ill wait the fucker out.

7. Dlist

Reputations:
    I always thought alternative was the way to go until Steve Jobs got sick. He did all the alternative shit, and still died. But there has to be a better way.
    And I am asking b/c my best friend in high school (our birthdays are 2 wks apart) just got ovarian cancer. And she is like me, not overweight, exercises regularly, doesn't overindulge in anything. (and don't start posting a few of my drunkin' posts you fuckers...I probably just had a hard day :giggle:)
    It just sucks that it can hit anyone, anytime.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  8. Pissed_on_Fan

Pissed_on_Fan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dlist, I am sorry to hear about your friend! I think you're in your 40s, right? Sadly, that's the age group when this shit starts hitting people left and right. An awful lot of how your friend will do depends on the her staging at diagnosis, and how thorough and aggressive her doctors are. There's also what is just "dumb luck" at this point -- will her tumor(s) respond to treatment? Will she handle the treatments okay? If the cancer "goes away" will it stay away or sneak back into sight?

I've been living with Stage IV colon cancer for almost 7 years now, and have seen a lot of people come and go on the various cancer boards I frequent, as well as in real life. There seems to be little rhyme or reason why some survive a long time and some don't. There have been a few posters I've known who spent a ton of money in Mexico for treatments that sooner or later didn't help at all. Eventually it will be figured out, but medicine -- Western, Eastern, "traditional" and alternative just doesn't have all the answers yet.

One thing to help you help her is to know that even if she heals well from this, a person never really "gets over" cancer and life just doesn't go back to the way it was before. People speak of "the new normal" but the phrase "the new reality" fits better because... well, because cancer just changes your life forever. Just something to remember! And, when a person first gets diagnosed and tells people, friends are everywhere! There's tons of support. But as time rolls on, some friends are, let's say -- more helpful than others. Some disappear entirely (one of my best friends mom had a horrible death from lung cancer, so as she contacted me less and less I just figure that it's too painful for her to see anyone go through cancer) And it's not just me saying this -- it's something called "cancer fatigue" that affects a lot of friendships.

As far as alternatives go, that's a wide topic that encompasses thousands of treatments, ideas, philosophies. Is there anything specific you are thinking of?

Memorial Sloan Kettering has a very good reference database here:
    http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/about-herbs-botanicals-other-products
    but of course they are looking from the viewpoint of wanting rigorous scientific data to support claims. Do beware of cures being peddled on websites that offer only testimonials as evidence! There is an incredible amount of cancer bullshit on the internet, and countless scams just trying to fleece $$$ from people desperate for a cure or some relief.

My own relatively long survival is due to good surgery (and no, I don't have "a bag"), an ideal tumor response to the various chemos I have had, luck or unknown factors, AND in my opinion, 3.5 years of a radically changed diet AFTER having the tumor removed from the colon and the metastasized tumors disappear from my liver thanks to chemo. There's no way diet or any less-drastic treatment would have cleared that mess up, and it was absolutely killing me.

Six months after I fell off the diet wagon, I was in treatment again and am facing a rotten downhill future of one treatment after another. My body is pretty f-ed up now, and I am trying to go back on the diet but my stomach has other ideas.

I am sorry this was such a long post -- I know that's frowned upon around here -- but I feel it's crucial for your friend to gather as good a treatment team as she can, get the best available "conventional" care, and then try to maximize her health. If you want to know more just ask, apparently, I have a lot to say on this!

(Or just ask Robin -- she's cured! :tongue: )

GIRLY, fixer, Dlist and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dlist

Reputations:
    Thank you my friend. I appreciate your post.

What bothers me so much is that it can strike anyone. My doctor was just telling me of a 46 yr old woman, who did yoga, was a vegan...did all the right stuff, got ovarian cancer. It sucks.

Am sending all my most positive reps your way, and you have friends here. Anfkid is also having kidney issues and we all rally around him. We will do so for you as well. You sound like a fighter. :hat::yay:

10. The Boardsman

The Boardsman Jedi Knight Of The Old Republic VIP

Reputations:
    There are many natural cures for cancer. One of the craziest things I've learned is that they recently revealed that cannabis oil cures certain types of cancer. Particularly that of the brain and lungs of all things. I've seen testimonials of people curing cancer in ways ranging from eating apricot seeds to switching to a diet of raw whole organic fruits and vegetables. I've read things about baking soda and lemon juice , hydrogen peroxide colloidal silver and pretty much most dietary supplements you can buy in GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. The list goes on. Graviola friut is said to be a thousand times more powerful than chemotherapy. I use a lot of stuff as a preventative measure especially because of my bad habits and poor diet. But things can be prevented with the right knowledge. I believe in God , not medicine.

Its funny , my Mother was just telling me about how one of her bosses at work is battling cancer and went on to talk about all the other people she knows who died. She talked about my Father who died of colon cancer in 2009. She said the only reason he did the chemo was because he though a miracle was going to happen and he would be saved being that he was a man of deep faith. I said "I find it funny how people profess their belief in God yet they turn to doctors when they get sick instead of turning to God". The thing I find troubling is how people use their faith as a crutch. As if the saying of "putting it in God's hands" means doing nothing on your part. I went on to say the "The miracle already happened , people have been turned away from God's miracles by scientists who think they can do better and greedy people who tell you lies.

Ever notice how when you buy dietary supplements no literature on what its good for is on the bottle?

Because its illegal. They aren't approved by the FDA so if you sell something as a cure for a disease you can be charged with selling a drug without a license. Ever wonder how the CEO of a major drug company can end up in a real cushy job at the FDA and vice versa?

You still feel free?

11. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    Ha ha I hope you die

12. Mangina

Mangina Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Cancer is the worst.

13. Dlist

Reputations:
    You are an Ass.

14. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Eat a lot of hot peppers

15. This_Little_Piggy

This_Little_Piggy New Member

Reputations:
    Gerson Therapy is interesting. For the actual cancer treatment there's only 2 facilities in the world that do this.
    http://gerson.org/gerpress/

16. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Disclaimer: The Gerson Institute is not a medical facility. The information provided on this website is educational in nature, and should not be used as a substitute for the counsel of an experienced medical professional. Many people have recovered from illnesses using the Gerson Therapy. There are, however, many factors that impact whether an individual person will make a successful recovery. The Gerson Therapy has its limitations, and we can make no guarantees about its effectiveness for every individual; recovery is on a case-by-case basis.

no % of recovery stated = 0% recovery proven

does this involve coffee enemas?

17. This_Little_Piggy

This_Little_Piggy New Member

Reputations:
    No one was giving medical information, or opinions on any procedures. I was just giving Dlist another ALTERNATIVE option I had heard about.

18. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    This is incredibly interesting, however, I think as a treatment you would only use it in conjunction with modern medicine.

19. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    If I had cancer, I wouldn't risk my life doing alt treatments in lieu of chemo/radiation. I may do them in conjunction with traditional treatment, but not as a replacement.

My first step would be to find a really good Cancer Center. My dad had nasopharyngeal and went to UM Sylvester Cancer center... Best in South FL.

They saved his life with cisplatin chemo and radiation therapy. He's still doing well and lives with minimal damage from treatment. 3 years clean :cheer:

GIRLY likes this.