Politics Justice Dept. Challenges North Carolina Bathroom Law

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, May 4, 2016.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Justice Department challenges NC transgender law

(CNN)The Justice Department has sent letters to North Carolina's governor and university system leaders notifying them that the state's transgender law violates the U.S. Civil Rights Act, according to a Justice Department official.

House Bill 2, the Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act, puts in place a statewide policy that bans individuals from using public bathrooms that do not correspond to their biological sex.

The federal letters said, "Access to sex-segregated restrooms and other workplace facilities consistent with gender identity is a term, condition or privilege of employment. Denying such access to transgender individuals, whose gender identity is different from their gender assigned at birth, while affording it to similarly situated non-transgender employees, violates Title VII."

The Justice Department letters ask for a response by May 9 on "whether you will remedy these violations of Title VII."

Gov. Pat McCrory issued a statement, but didn't specifically say what the state will do.

"A claim by the Obama administration charges that one part of House Bill 2, which requires state employees in public government buildings and students in our universities to use a restroom, locker room and shower facility that match their biological sex, is now in violation of federal law. The Obama administration has not only staked out its position for North Carolina, but for all states, universities and most employers in the U.S.

"The right and expectation of privacy in one of the most private areas of our personal lives is now in jeopardy. We will be reviewing to determine the next steps."

Legislators reacted to Charlotte ordinance

McCrory signed the bill into law March 23 after the General Assembly went into special session earlier in the day to push through the legislation.

The legislators were responding to a nondiscrimination ordinance the city of Charlotte enacted that, among other things, made it possible for transgender individuals to use the public bathroom of the sex they identify as.

Another feature of the law: It stops cities from passing anti-discrimination ordinances to protect gay and transgender identity. That power is reserved for the state, under the new law.

The move enraged civil liberties groups, Democrats and others in the state. Rockers Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam canceled concerts in the state and PayPal said it will not open a facility in North Carolina that would employ 400 people.

The state could lose federal money. The letters reminded university system leaders they accepted funding from groups like the Office on Violence Against Women by agreeing not to discriminate on the basis of gender identity.

State facing lawsuit by ACLU

A few days after passage of the bill, two transgender men, a lesbian, the American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina and Equality North Carolina filed a federal lawsuit asking a judge to declare the law unconstitutional and a violation of federal laws banning sex discrimination.
    "It is now clearer than ever that this discriminatory law violates civil rights protections and jeopardizes billions of dollars in federal funds for North Carolina," the ACLU and Lambda Legal said. "The only way to reverse the ongoing damage HB 2 is causing to North Carolina's people, economy and reputation is a full repeal."

Earlier Wednesday, the Family Research Council, which favors the bathroom law, launched a social media ad campaign that questions why federal agencies are investigating.

"It's absurd that President Obama is directing the investigative power of five federal departments to investigate the repeal of a law that punishes businesses for having restrooms designated for men only and women only," said council President Tony Perkins.

CNN's Devon Sayers and Dave Alsup contributed to this report.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  2. ClintDagger

ClintDagger World's #2 Ranked Poster - Exec VP Larry, Inc VIP

Reputations:
    @Limo Wreck famous NWA referee Tommy Young called your city a "cow town". I was livid.

Limo Wreck likes this.
  3. FunnyFarm2

FunnyFarm2 voice of reason VIP Gold

Reputations:
    This is just fucking ridiculous. I don't know one single person that thinks the boys should use the girls bathroom.....NOT ONE

4. Leopold

Leopold Active Member

Reputations:
    Want to understand part of the reason people support Trump?

This kind of PC bullshit... And the vilification you receive if you disagree by the PC media.

Watching the media trip over themselves calling Bruce Jenner some other name... And a she...

This freak crap is part of the reason. Jenner is a fucked up guy on a dress

5. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Good thing all our problems have already been solved, so we have the free time and resources to address such horseshit.

6. Wiggie

Wiggie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ... If south had won the civil war things would of been better... Just say'n :)

jaw_belize likes this.
  7. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you are afraid to use a public restroom with a dude chick/chick dude or cry about your kid being exposed to a chick dude/dude chick, please go shit somewhere else. Like your own home. And stay there. Most likely if you look in the mirror, the weird fucker in said mirror is the real problem. Next!!:scat:

John Mahlin likes this.
  8. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    "Excuse me, can you direct me to the ladies' room?"

9. suckemnuckledus

Reputations:
    Thanks you fucking tool box!! So slavery is ok in your in that shit pile of a skull you have on your shoulders! Fuck off and go away...that shit isn't cool or funny bro!

10. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    do you have kids/girls?

11. suckemnuckledus

Reputations:
    Yep!

12. suckemnuckledus

Reputations:
    Do you take your kids to Subway for lunch?

13. suckemnuckledus

Reputations:
    Do you have your kids watch 19 kids and counting?

14. Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath Nothing to prove

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  15. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    then you are fucking dumb if you would let a man in a bathroom with your girls w/o you keeping an eye on them in this day an age of predators. and don't get me wrong I am a live and let live person but I sure as fuck I will protect my girls with my life to keep not transgendered people away, but people that will tak advantage of the law. and it will and has already happened.

16. suckemnuckledus

Reputations:
    Do your kids like Penn State Football?

John Mahlin likes this.
  17. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    Huh

18. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    You do understand that Jenner is a right winger that endorsed trump right? also, you do know that trump said men in dresses can use the ladies room, he doesn't have a problem with it.

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  19. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    oh you son of a .......and yes they like movies about gladiators

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  20. suckemnuckledus

Reputations:
    Then you wait your turn until scary creepy guy in drag leaves....