Entertainment Keith Richards Says Sgt. Pepper Was 'a Mishmash of Rubbish'

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Aug 9, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Keith Richards Says the Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper's' Was 'a Mishmash of Rubbish'
    By Lars Brandle | August 06, 2015 6:31 AM EDT

[​IMG]

Keith Richards performs on July 15, 2015 in Quebec City.

Scott Legato/Getty Images
    For nearly a half-century, critics and music fans have ruminated about Sgt. Pepper's place in the pantheon of classic albums. Many have declared the Beatles’ eighth studio album is right at or near the pinnacle of all-time greats. Not Keith Richards.

The Rolling Stones legend has described it as a “mishmash of rubbish.”

The guitarist and rock ‘n’ roll wildman has never backed down from a challenge or betrayed his own thoughts on any given subject. And he's one of few artists alive qualified to throw shade at the Beatles. He's done just that in a sound-bite filled interview with Esquire.

Keith Richards Previews New Solo Album at Electric Lady Studios Party

Richards remarked that there's “not a lot of roots” in the Beatles’ music and flayed the George Martin-produced recorded music landmark, which was released back in 1967. “I think they got carried away. Why not? If you're the Beatles in the '60s, you just get carried away -- you forget what it is you wanted to do. You're starting to do Sgt. Pepper. Some people think it's a genius album, but I think it's a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like Satanic Majesties -- "Oh, if you can make a load of shit, so can we."

The riffmaster recalled a time when the stars on stage couldn’t hear their own instruments for the deafening screams of the audience. Forget Yoko Ono. Those rabid female fans were the wedge that drove apart the Beatles, according to Richards. There were “no PAs. And 3,000 screaming chicks could just wail you out of the whole place. Just looking at the crowd, you could see them dragging the chicks out, sweating, screaming, convulsing. Astonishing, even at that age. At the same time, a whole roomful of chicks yelling at you is not so shabby, either. Because the year before, nobody would look at you. But they talk about us -- the Beatles, those chicks wore those guys out. They stopped touring in 1966-- they were done already. They were ready to go to India and shit.”

Keith Richards Shares 'Trouble,' First Solo Song in Decades

Richards’ unrestrained comments aren’t without context. He’s on the promotion trail in support of Crosseyed Heart, his first solo album in 23 years. The album includes a duet with Norah Jones called "Illusion," which she co-wrote and features the talents of guitarist Waddy Wachtel, keyboardist-vocalist Ivan Neville, background singer Sarah Dash, keyboardist Spooner Oldham, steel guitarist Larry Campbell, and saxophonist Bobby Keys. Due out Sept. 18 on Republic Records, it's Richards’ first solo album since 1992's Main Offender.

Richards has said and done some wacky things in his time. He nearly lost his life when he fell from a tree while holidaying in Fiji in 2006. And the following year he made headlines when he told the NME that he had mixed his dad’s ashes with cocaine and snorted them (his reps denied it but he later reiterated that he did inhale the ashes, though without the white powder). His mighty slapdown on the sacred Sgt Peppers will be remembered for some time yet.

ummm and AmishGirl like this.
  2. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    He's right, both albums are garbage. There's nothing remotely rock n' roll in crap like She's leaving home, Fixing a hole, When I'm 64, etc. It may have been innovative in the production, the gatefold cover with album lyrics, but it's my least favorite Beatles album. Same goes for Satanic Majesties. 2000 Light years from home and She's a rainbow are the only redeeming things about that one.

ummm, DuckDong, telecaster and 3 others like this.
  3. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    First Jerry Lee Lewis shits on Elvis and now this? :bigcry:

4. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Sgt.Pepper isn't even in my top five Beatle albums. Certainly overrated, "better when high" phenomenon likely at play.

ummm, Bye You!, AmishGirl and 2 others like this.
  5. boognishstern

Reputations:
    that was great, keith even calling out 'satanic majesties'....check ot the full esquire q&a if you get the chance. it's pretty darn good.

ummm and AmishGirl like this.
  6. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...it was a great album the stones were always jealous of the beatles.

7. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Magical Mystery Tour completely shits on Pepper. Pepper still good though

8. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    My uncle says he only enjoyed the album when he was high. :snicker:

boognishstern likes this.
  9. Biff DiBiase

Biff DiBiase Philanthropist and accountant at Larry, Inc. POTY Stern Forum Gold

Reputations:
    Keith Richards was drunk when he said that; he knows better! Pepper is awesome, but Revolver runs circles around it; Abbey Road wins it all.

MorningSong13, potroast and Mulletude like this.
  10. boognishstern

Reputations:
    'day in the life' is phenomenal.

11. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    White Album is my favorite

12. TheWonk

Reputations:
    Agreed. And when isn't Keith drunk and high, @EDDIEVRULZ? He's never pulled punches and shits on a lot of the Stones' own stuff like Emotional Friend Rescue and Dirty Work. He's the real deal and I love him for it.

If I were making a Beatles playlist, the only songs that might make it are A day in the life and the Sgt Pepper's reprise. Give me Revolver and Rubber Soul over it any day.

13. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    If we're critiquing Pepper can we all agree George Harrison's Indian shit is fucking horrible and totally ruins the pace of the album.

I can enjoy all the poppy easy listening music in that album but Within You, Without You is harrible.

14. Biff DiBiase

Reputations:
    I just merely said that he was drunk when he forgot that Pepper didn't really suck;) I agree with everything else that you said. His book was awesome.

scoobyla and TheWonk like this.
  15. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Very true, there are a lot of good tracks on the record. I'm just saying for me it's not even the best Beatle album, let alone the best album ever made. It is worth mentioning that "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" were both recorded during the Sgt Pepper sessions, the album would have been extraordinary if those tracks were in there in place of others.

16. God

God Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Beatles have nothing this good.

ummm, telecaster, scoobyla and 2 others like this.
  17. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I think Citadel and 2000 Man are great. Likewise for Good Morning Good Morning and Day in the Life.

Satanic Majesties Request is a rubbish album, but I like it better than Pepper. Even if it was just the Stones trying to keep up with the Beatles. Pepper has rubbish, but I don't think it is rubbish. It's (mostly) highly overrated music, though, but there's no arguing it's historical musical impact. For me, it at least beats their queer early shit and the Let It Be album.

Aside from the mid to late 60s, the Stones mostly bore me, so I find Satanic Majesties at least interesting.

18. Biff DiBiase

Reputations:
    Especially considering the story behind those two songs being recorded. We are talking about ingenious ways of thinking, thinking that came about because of Lennon's inability to understand modern tech at the time. Geoff Emerick was a genius when it came to figuring out what these guys had in their head and tried to convey. A great musical interpreter, if you will.

19. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That's only because it's a Capitol Records mishmash LP made of the EP and singles added with the 2 strongest tracks coming from the Pepper sessions. If you are saying the original double EP beats Pepper, that I can not agree with.

scoobyla likes this.
  20. TheWonk

Reputations:
    True. He was writing some good stuff that was ignored or ended up on All Things. And THAT is the song he submits for Sgt Pepper's?

I'll take the Beatles "queer early shit" over Pepper's. And the Stones are my favorite band but I try not to be partial. The few albums that follow Satanic (Beggars Banquet through Exile) are some of the best rock albums ever made.

1. Magical Mystery Tour
    2. The Fool On The Hill
    3. Flying
    4. Blue Jay Way
    5. Your Mother Should Know
    6. I Am The Walrus
    7. Hello, Goodbye
    8. Strawberry Fields Forever
    9. Penny Lane
    10. Baby You're A Rich Man
    11. All You Need Is Love

Paul still had his lame show tune crap on there (similar to Martha my dear, another song I hate) but I think this buries Sgt Pepper's.

Lster likes this.