Kelsey Grammer blew 6 figures investing in windmills

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Mar 17, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Fraiser’s failure: Kelsey Grammer blew 6 figures investing in windmills[/h] By Jessica Chasmar
    -
    The Washington Times
    Thursday, March 14, 2013

Former Frasier star Kelsey Grammer told TMZ on Tuesday that wind technology was the worst investment he’s ever made.

Grammer told the tabloid that though his finances are good, he lost hundreds of thousands of dollars on a small wind investment.
    “I’m OK, but I didn’t make up for it. It’s just one of those things that’s just a straight loss,†he said. “You’d think it would be lucrative, but it’s not really a friendly environment for new technology, it really isn’t.â€
    The actor has made tabloid headlines in recent years for a pricey and very public divorce from Camille Grammer.
    The 57-year-old put his plush Beverly Hills Home on the market back in 2008, but has been forced to drop the price several times. It still hasn’t sold after knocking $4 million off the asking price.

2. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    And that's why this country will never get off its addiction to fossil fuels.

Every alternative is just not profitable.

3. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...bring back tesla.

4. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i laugh at stuff like this.

i worked for the gubment writing environmental related contracts. mostly contracting to clean up differnt places.

i spent a ton of time researching all kinds of alternate energy, green products, green contractors etc., and kept coming to the same conclusion. it's just not there yet. at the time, it cost more in energy to produce a windmill than the windwill would return in energy over it's projected lifetime.

there are a lot of people who say damn the price, go all out for solar, wind, geo. the elec bills would be crazy but they don't care. hopefully there is a magic source that will be discovered soon. oil and coal are dirty but they fuel our nice comfy lives. without them, we're fucked.

5. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...nay sayers are what killed any chance of alternate energy. it can be done but for the wall of greed standing in the way. heres a wonderful pbs documentary on tesla. this guy was way ahead of his time. thank tesla for anything you use powered by electricity. even your car has a tesla coil.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/tesla-master-of-lightning/

6. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    how much did taxpayers lose to solyndra? another hair brained obama folly where no one is held accountable...gubmint as usual.
    lets give them more money

7. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The problem with nuclear is the NIMBY attitude. On Long Island the Shoreham plant was built but never operated and shut down in 1984. Rate payers are STILL paying every month on their bill for the closure.

Across the water in CT the near equivalent GE plant generated power for 25 years and still has 2 other operating reactors at the site.

8. openmike11

openmike11 New Member

Reputations:
    Its hard to believe how much energy we've gotten from fossil fuels over the decades. I mean, how many dinosaurs were there?

9. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    There have been recent improvements in the windmill gearbox which have substantially cut maintenance and repair costs, it's a big deal for a technology on the edge of economic viability. Unfortunately wind farms are also facing lawsuits brought by everyone from migraine sufferers to animal activists.

10. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    I heard somewhere that there are problems disposing of the carcinogenic waste that comes from making the solar panels.

The production of those batteries in the hybrid cars isn't environmentally friendly either.

Can't win for losing on this one.

11. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    that's why it's called investing, and why individuals cannot do it safely anymore because they cannot hedge.

12. sstressed

Reputations:
    i like that there are people who will are strong proponents of alternate energy. right up until it fucks up their view of the ocean.

i believe they're called douchebags.

13. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    God forbid we follow France's lead on anything in this country. The moment they hear "French," they get all jingoistic.

14. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    we really do need to work on broadcast power technologies. once we get that going, we can place nuclear plants far away from anyplace anyone cares about.

15. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    Look what happened to a bunch of $100,000 Fiskers when flood waters rose at the dock parking lot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. sstressed

Reputations:
    since the beginning, very bright people have been trying to make a good battery for an electric car. it still hasn't happened. someday someone will stumble on something. someday but not today.

the green people never discuss what it takes to actually make something that they call green. it would, um, confuse the issue. :c

17. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...actually there are generators that are under water and not obstructing any views but theres argument that the generators/turbines maybe are going to fuck up the fish. i can see that. theres a big windfarm on the altamont pass in the bay area of san francisco. its been there generating power since the 80s.

18. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    I just saw a story about a town that had a huge wind unit installed some years ago, and now the town is going through a huge expense to remove it because people are insisting that it's making them sick.

19. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...check out the white zombie car. this guy has a battery that dosent fit what youre saying.

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/

you might know these guys, general motors. they had a battery that worked too good over 20 years ago. collected all the leased cars and crushed them even tho the leaseors wanted to buy them.

[video=youtube;IENnSK8Q6nE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENnSK8Q6nE[/video]

never say never. think of all the things on star trek that 'couldnt be done'.

20. sstressed

Reputations:
    yeah i remember reading about all the birds that get cut into mcnuggets there. lots of protests from the same people who hailed it earlier.

unintended consequences.
    some people try to consider what if.
    others yell at them for being negative.

we're doomed. :dance: