News Ken Burns: The Civil War was about 'slavery, slavery, slavery'

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 23, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:

Historian Ken Burns reminded supporters of the Confederacy on Sunday that the Civil War had been primarily about slavery, and not states’ rights as many conservatives have claimed.

“You know, when the Constitutional Convention happened, there was a man named John J. Chapman, who said slavery was like a sleeping serpent,” Burns told CBS host John Dickerson. “It lay coiled under the table during the deliberations; thereafter, slavery was on everyone’s mind, if not always on his tongue.”

“You know, we’ve grown up as country with a lot of powerful symbols of the Civil War in popular culture that would be ‘Birth of a Nation,’ D.W. Griffiths’ classic, and ‘Gone with the Wind,’ of course,” he explained. “And in that, it postulates, among other things, both films, that the Ku Klux Klan, which is a homegrown terrorist organization, was actually a heroic force in the story of the Civil War. So it’s no wonder that Americans have permitted themselves to be sold a bill of goods about what happened, oh, it’s about states’ rights, it’s about nullification, it’s about differences between cultural and political and economic forces that shaped the North and the South.”

But Burns recommended that Americans read South Carolina’s Articles of Secession to get the real story on why the states went to war against each other.

“[T]hey do not mention states’ rights. They mention slavery, slavery, slavery,” he pointed out. “And that we have to remember. It is much more complicated than that, but essentially the reason why we murdered each other — more than 2 percent of our population, 750,000 Americans died; that’s more than all the wars from the Revolution through Afghanistan combined — was over essentially the issue of slavery.”

According to Burns, the racism running through the DNA of America was still present in modern day politics.

“The main American theme, I think, is freedom,” he noted. “But we also notice that race is always there. Always there. When Thomas Jefferson says all men are created equal, he owns a couple hundred human beings and he doesn’t see the contradiction or the hypocrisy and doesn’t free anybody in his lifetime and sets in motion an American narrative that is bedeviled by a question of race.”

“And we struggle with it. We try to ignore it. We pretend, with the election of Barack Obama, that we’re in some post-racial society,” he continued. “And what we have seen is a kind of reaction to this. The birther movement, of which Donald Trump is one of the authors of, is another politer way of saying the N word. It’s just more sophisticated and a little bit more clever. He’s ‘other,’ he’s different.”

“What’s actually ‘other’ and different about him? It turns out it’s the same old thing. It’s the color of his skin.”

Watch the video below from CBS’ Face the Nation, broadcast August 23, 2015.

https://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/ke...s-straight-its-about-slavery-slavery-slavery/

2. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    I just can't take a guy with that haircut seriously.

3. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I love almost all of Burns documentaries. He is spouting the basic narrative I hear on NPR all the time that pisses me off. He is right about the history, the south was built on slavery / crops.

Gusbuss and SalsMasterShake like this.
  4. dawg

Reputations:
    One must only verify his claims by reading South Carolina’s Articles of Secession.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

5. Fuzz Nuts

Reputations:
    dawg likes this.
  6. dawg

Reputations:
    I think this paragraph says it all.

"We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection."

DuckDong and SalsMasterShake like this.
  7. ClintDagger

ClintDagger World's #2 Ranked Poster - Exec VP Larry, Inc VIP

Reputations:
    Depends on which side you're talking about. For the North, it was much less about slavery.

SouthernListen and ravenrules like this.
  8. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Sweet wig bro.

Bye You! and dawg like this.
  9. jake206

jake206 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Haircut? It's the world's worst toupee.

Bye You! and SalsMasterShake like this.
  10. Fuzz Nuts

Reputations:
    I read it. Good read. The south wanted the state right to keep slavery.

11. Fuzz Nuts

Reputations:
    It is amazing the US isn't split still on that issue. Don't think we'd fight that hard for it in these days and times.. 750,000 dead

12. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    If Burns wants to say that the Civil War came to a head primarily due to slavery, I won't argue with him. But understand that by using the word "primarily", he's allowing for the fact that there were other causal factors at play, as well.

The problem we run into today in our highly polarized society, is that simpletons require simple answers. Complexity and nuance have no place in their arguments. Thus there are many who will read this article and say, "see, I told you, the Civil War was all about slavery" - a statement which is no more true than claiming the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery.

TeeDonkey, PI Nate, cg256 and 4 others like this.
  13. joe361

joe361 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Five myths about why the South seceded http://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...e-south-seceded/2011/01/03/ABHr6jD_story.html

1. The South seceded over states’ rights.

Confederate states did claim the right to secede, but no state claimed to be seceding for that right. In fact, Confederates opposed states’ rights — that is, the right of Northern states not to support slavery.

On Dec. 24, 1860, delegates at South Carolina’s secession convention adopted a “Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union.” It noted “an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery” and protested that Northern states had failed to “fulfill their constitutional obligations” by interfering with the return of fugitive slaves to bondage. Slavery, not states’ rights, birthed the Civil War.

South Carolina was further upset that New York no longer allowed “slavery transit.” In the past, if Charleston gentry wanted to spend August in the Hamptons, they could bring their cook along. No longer — and South Carolina’s delegates were outraged. In addition, they objected that New England states let black men vote and tolerated abolitionist societies. According to South Carolina, states should not have the right to let their citizens assemble and speak freely when what they said threatened slavery.

Other seceding states echoed South Carolina. “Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world,” proclaimed Mississippi in its own secession declaration, passed Jan. 9, 1861. “Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of the commerce of the earth. . . . A blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization.”

The South’s opposition to states’ rights is not surprising. Until the Civil War, Southern presidents and lawmakers had dominated the federal government. The people in power in Washington always oppose states’ rights. Doing so preserves their own.

14. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The north was built on Slavery as well. Seems everybody forgets that. They just ended slavery earlier because they had more people to do the work and were able create wage slaves instead of true slaves.

15. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    when i was in college i took a class called history119: the civil war and reconstruction era. it blew my mind that the Emancipation Proclamation didnt free all states. Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and parts of the confederacy that were under union control didnt have to give up slavery. he didnt want those states to turn on the union. it just stuck with me becuase in school all you hear about is how Lincoln freed the slaves blah blah blah. public school teaches you a ton of bullshit

Head Censor and cg256 like this.
  16. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    lincoln: america's first dictator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PI Nate, cg256 and Chibbs like this.
  17. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    I saw him on TV the other day and thought he had a wig on.

Howard related for obvious reasons.

Burns is 100% correct despite his ridiculous :quote: hair system :quote:

18. Wigzilla

Wigzilla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

reno likes this.
  19. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

Oh...OK.....whatever you say Ken. ... :rolleyes:

...... :whistle: