Kentucky cop shoots off finger after gun store clerk hands him loaded weapon

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jan 13, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    WBKO-TV reported that former Officer Darrell Smith asked to see a .380 caliber handgun when he visited the Barren Outdoors in March, according to a lawsuit filed Friday.

The clerk retrieved a weapon from beneath the glass display counter and hands the gun to Smith, who was wearing his Glasgow police uniform at the time.

Security camera video shows Smith examining the weapon, which the officer does not realize is loaded.

He cocked the weapon, which then fired and blows off a portion of the officer’s left index finger.

“He’s permanently disfigured, he went through a lot of pain and suffering,” said his attorney, Alan Simpson. “He’s gone through several surgeries. He’s got a lot of medical bills that have to be paid. It ended his career and he’s going to have a lot of lost income.”

2. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    he didn't realize it was loaded

now I never grew up around guns
    have never owned one
    have never held one
    and don't have one of them as part of my equipment for my chosen source of income

but even an inexperienced moron like me would be bright enough to always assume one was loaded until I was 100% certain it wasn't

John Mahlin and markluke like this.
  3. dawg

Reputations:
    He missed the class where they teach people that no gun on the planet is ever unloaded.

His blatant mishandling of a firearm could have ended up with the death of an innocent bystander, he should be stripped of his uniform and fired. Not rewarded.

4. Hugh Blowmont

Hugh Blowmont Just be funny

Reputations:
    Being in the firearms business, this is something that really fucking pisses me off all the way around. Normally, I would say the shop clerk was completely at fault, what he did was as dumb as dogshit for not clearing the gun before handing it off, but that was a cop he handed it to. Both the store clerk AND the cop should know better than to touch a weapon they had not PERSONALLY checked. The cop should have at least done a press-check for fuck's sake.

Someone could have been killed there, the clerk, the cop, the other guy in the store. It could have been REALLY tragic. I have personally seen a person shot with an AD at a show and its not pretty.

Bad.

reno, BethSucks, Lester and 1 other person like this.
  5. Captainjapan

Captainjapan Member

Reputations:
    I've been to Glasgow Ky a few times. Not too smart there.

6. LobsterTails

LobsterTails Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I always assume a gun is loaded - that's what my Grandpa taught me even though I live in England and have not ever touched a gun. We aren't even allowed knives.

Carrying a knife in public in the UK is an automatic custodial sentence.

I'm not really sure how you are supposed to get a set of kitchen knives back from the store.

dawg likes this.
  7. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Keystone cop

8. dawg

Reputations:
    I saw him cock it, i saw him look at the chamber, he had to have seen a round in there, if he didnt then why is this man allowed to wear a uniform?

9. LobsterTails

LobsterTails Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Similar to Glasgow, Scotland - dumb as shit and either all drunk or whacked out on smack.

10. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

in that Glasgow the kitchen knives are used to cut more than veggies

11. dawg

Reputations:
    Let me look at this shiny little pistol. Wait, i want to hear the hammer, let me cock it, then let me pull the trigger into my hand. Step back folks, I'm a cop I know what i am doing. Moron.

CooksRome and LobsterTails like this.
  12. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As someone currently working towards my CCW license the FIRST thing you learn is to always assume a weapon is loaded, and never point it at anyone, or anything, that can get hurt (unless of course you're in a self-defense situation).

Something does sound fishy though. It looks like he took off the top of his left index finger. Why would it have "ended his career" when he could still do desk duty? I'm sure there are cops out there with more disabling disfigurements who are still on the job.

13. dawg

Reputations:
    Because he can make more money by suing. He will have backers too, the gun control nut jobs on the left. The cop defenders that apologize for cops no matter what they do.

Lester likes this.
  14. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Any stories about paramedics being run over by an ambulance while looking at new ones ?

15. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have been to many gun stores and have had them hand me a gun to look at many names. Everyone of them grabs the gun and racks the slide to make sure it isn't loaded and then hands it to you. Never once has it been loaded. These types of stores sell new guns, used guns, and if they have a range they rent guns. The insurance and liability they take on is through the roof so everything is geared around safety. I have no idea how this could happen. A complete failure on the stores part. The fact that it happened to a cop makes it even worse.

Mack29 and FishySausage like this.
  16. markluke

Reputations:
    Understood...but it makes the cop not only look like a doofus for shooting his finger off but a douche for having his lawyer tell the world that he's a cripple now.

17. markluke

Reputations:
    Too bad there wasn't sound in that video.

"gimme that pistol boy"

"let me check if it's loaded first"

"I'm a police officer and know what I'm doin', you jus' give it to me, ya hear?"

bang

18. Just Me

Just Me VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I would have thought that his obesity would have ended his career first.

reno and FishySausage like this.
  19. dawg

Reputations:
    I agree on this point. The shop needs to get rid of the old lady behind the counter if she cant perform her job duties. However, that does not NULL the mishandling of a firearm in a public place by a cop who should know better.

20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    I'm also in the gun business, and I can tell you I always check any gun before handing it to anyone. And I as I hand it to them always say "don't pull the trigger". Most all dealers and employees do the same thing. The one who didn't ends up in the newspapers, and they like to print these kind of stories. don't they?