Politics Kim Davis Now A Republican

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Sep 25, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Kentucky clerk Kim Davis switches to Republican Party
    [​IMG]
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, a longtime Democrat, says she is switching to the Republican Party because she feels abandoned by Democrats.

Davis made the announcement while in Washington, D.C., to attend the Family Research Council's Value Voters Summit, Liberty Counsel spokeswoman Charla Bansley said Friday.

Liberty Counsel represents Davis in her legal battles. Davis sparked a national firestorm by refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

[​IMG]
    Kim Davis returns to work after 5 days in jail

"My husband and I had talked about it for quite a while and we came to the conclusion that the Democratic Party left us a long time ago, so why were we hanging on?" she told Reuters.

She was ordered by a federal judge to issue the licenses and spent five days in jail for continuing to defy the order, propelling her to folk hero status among some on the religious right.

She was elected Rowan County clerk last fall as a Democrat. She replaced her mother, also a Democrat, who served as county clerk for 37 years.

Davis could be back in court soon for altering marriage license forms issued to same-sex couples.

On Monday, lawyers for two gay couples and two straight couples questioned the validity of the new marriage licenses and asked a federal judge to order Kim Davis' office to reissue them. If she refuses, the lawyers asked the judge to put the office in receivership and have someone else do it.

[​IMG]
    Legitimacy of licenses issued in Kim Davis' absence uncertain

Davis is prepared to return to jail over her beliefs, according to an interview that aired Tuesday morning on "Good Morning America" -- the first she's given since her refusal to issue licenses gained national attention.

"I have never once spouted a word of hate. I have not been hateful," she said. She also said the licenses going out of her office now, issued by a deputy clerk, don't have her authorization and are "not valid in God's eyes."

Davis stopped issuing all marriage licenses in June after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling effectively legalized gay marriage nationwide. Two gay couples and two straight couples sued her. A federal judge ordered Davis to issue the licenses, and the U.S. Supreme Court upheld that order.

But Davis refused, citing "God's authority." That's when U.S. District Court Judge David Bunning threw her in jail, prompting a fierce debate in the public square about religious liberty versus the civil rights afforded to all U.S. citizens.

Davis' office issued marriage licenses while she was in jail, but the licenses did not include her name. Bunning ruled those licenses were valid and released Davis on the condition that she not interfere with her employees. Davis, a Democrat, was greeted at the Carter County Detention Center by a crowd of thousands and a church choir, flanked by her attorney and Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee.

[​IMG]
    Supreme Court says "I Do"

But when Davis returned to work last week, she confiscated the marriage licenses and replaced them. The new licenses say they were issued not under the authority of the county clerk, but "pursuant to federal court order."

On Monday, lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union wrote that the validity of the altered licenses is "questionable at best," and the new licenses bring "humiliation and stigma" to the gay couples who receive them. They asked Judge Bunning to order Davis' office to reissue the licenses. If Davis interferes, the lawyers say Bunning should place her office in a receivership for the purposes of issuing marriage licenses.

"The adulterated marriage licenses received by Rowan County couples will effectively feature a stamp of animus against the LGBT community, signaling that, in Rowan County, the government's position is that LGBT couples are second-class citizens unworthy of official recognition and authorization of their marriage licenses but for this Court's intervention and Order," the lawyers for the couples wrote in a court filing.

[​IMG]
    Kim Davis' lawyer explains her position

Mat Staver, Davis' attorney and founder of the Liberty Counsel law firm, did not directly respond to the ACLU's request for Bunning to put the office in a receivership. Staver said he would formally respond to the ACLU's motion Tuesday. But he noted that Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear said last week that the altered marriage licenses would be recognized by the state.

"Kim Davis has made a good-faith effort to comply with the court's order," Staver said. "The ACLU's motion to again hold Kim Davis in contempt reveals that their interest is not the license but rather a marriage license bearing the name of Kim Davis. They want her scalp to hang on the wall as a trophy."

In her Tuesday interview, Davis was frequently tearful, and she said that she's received hate mail, with people calling her Hitler and a homophobe. But she says she's not a hypocrite, despite her own four marriages.

"I haven't always been a good person," she acknowledged. But she said that she's been forgiven, that godly authority trumps all, and that she won't resign her position.

'I'm good at my job," she said. "I have friends who are gay and lesbians. They know where I stand. And we don't agree on this issue, and we're OK because we respect each other."

DiamondGoddess and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  2. Domo Cup

Domo Cup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    She'll fit right in.

3. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This election's Joe the Plumber...

4. Goodfella

Goodfella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I want to punch her stupid fundie face.

5. BethSucks

Reputations:
    Trump, Davis, Palin, Huckabee, that's the current face of the party. I quit the party when McCain picked Palin, I'm glad I did.

6. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bravo to the ACLU.

FosterKitten likes this.
  7. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    when one of them ay rabs says that we all get rightly squirrelly

and I get the feeling she's liking the attention here and will do stuff to keep it coming
    it's a rush--the same kind an ugly woman would probably get from having all kindsa different men
    showing her interest

8. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    Last time I checked, this is exactly why the Taser was invented in 1974.

9. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "She was elected Rowan County clerk last fall as a Democrat. She replaced her mother, also a Democrat, who served as county clerk for 37 years"

Her 80k job with pension is going away next election.

10. BethSucks

Reputations:
    And her son is her employee, nothing like a little good old back woods Kentucky nepotism.

11. TheSurvivingJesusTwin

TheSurvivingJesusTwin Half as ubiquitous

Reputations:
    They can have her

FosterKitten, juleswheel and Domo Cup like this.
  12. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well the Republicans always say "government doesn't work", they are correct now.

13. puncher

puncher VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Well its tough when the faces of the "other" party are Hillary, Pelosi, Biden, and Reid....we are screwed either way.

14. BethSucks

Reputations:
    Exactly how I feel, politics has become so polarized that the common sense of the average person has become lost.

15. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    so she is divorcing the Democratic Party to have adulterous sex with the GOP?

Dorb, Mulletude and AuntDolly like this.
  16. Afganistand

Afganistand Motivationally Deficient VIP

Reputations:
    The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. - P. J. O'Rourke

Dorb, Willowglen and Anyonenow like this.
  17. Getoninja

Getoninja Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    she's a ugly succubus!

18. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    The government just needs to get out of the business of marriage licenses.
    Let the churches do it. The government can issue licenses showing unions for purposes of recognizing families by the government or property ownership and that can follow through to employers to recognize for insurance purposes or whatever.
    I am not gay and I still don't get why gay people want to get married. Isn't marriage demeaning to women, so why do lesbians what to get married. And then you hear gay guys say they are married but they don't even live in the place and they say they are allowed have an open marriage. That's not really marriage. It will be interesting to see how gay divorces, especially those with children, are handled. That is really going to set some precedents. But I guess, being married allows you certain rights that you would not get as just roommates or in civil unions, like widower benefits, insurance benefits, wedding gifts,...

Horse Marbles likes this.
  19. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    the whole God's authority thing is bullshit. Just quit your job, if you really value your beliefs.
    She values that cushy high-paying government job more than anything. She never was religous before and obviously still isn't.
    She is a woman who abandoned her kids so she craved some hero/martyr role to make up for it and this just fell into her lap.
    Just quit your job and you don't have to be a part of endorsing gay marriage. If you want to protest it, lead a pack of local women in your church to shame any parishioners who are gay but when you are a government employee you have to tow the government line in this country, we have separation of church and state.

20. puncher

puncher VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Well, we had "hope" at one time...that is lost too

[​IMG]

FosterKitten and BethSucks like this.